This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC's biggest fear: Account Numbers

Why is it that people will call in to pay a bill, or some other billing related question and not want to give their account number? It always falls into one of two groups:

1. They get themselves as far away from their bill as physically possible (usually they're in the car). Bonus points if they get belligerent when you inform them that account numbers are needed to divulge any account info.

or

2. They have it, you know they have it, they just don't want to tax themselves by reading such a long number. They're the ones who are all "Do you need aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the numbers? *EXASPERATED SIGH*"

Yeah, I know 16 numbers is a lot to ask for a pea brain to read, but don't act like I'm asking for a blood sample.
    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

One thing working on the phones has taught me is that if I'm going to call customer service for ANYTHING, I have my bill and any and all other potentially important documents sitting in front of me, along with a pen and paper for taking notes.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Because they have something to hide??

One of my friends uses those pre-paid Credit Cards to keep his "other" spendages from his regular Credit Cards. Girls with Big Guns (Think AK and M-16 Guns), fetish sites, stuff like that.

Comment

Quoth Hon'ya-chan View Post
        Because they have something to hide??

One of my friends uses those pre-paid Credit Cards to keep his "other" spendages from his regular Credit Cards. Girls with Big Guns (Think AK and M-16 Guns), fetish sites, stuff like that.
        These are cable account numbers, aka the thing I need to verify before I can give out any billing info. It's always the people in the biggest need to pay (they're about to be disconnected) who are the most irritated.
        "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

I tend to phone once a month to get my bill amounts because I have a habit of misplacing my bills.... *blush*

It's never been a problem. I give them my name, address, phone number, whatever they need to look it up (in the case of one place, it's my social insurance number, which gives me pause, but I figure hey, if the BANK is gonna steal my identity, I'm screwed anyway).
          GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
          X