X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Datamining for pre-crime probability

This is a scary article.

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/fea...he-HR-Dept.htm

Many companies have trawled facebook for their prospective employees for a while now. The trick is to lock down your privacy settings totally, then you can have whatever you want and no-one outside your friends list can see what you've posted.
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I might sign up for the future recording just to get their "predictions" email.

Technology has now given us the ability to predict the future?
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
        Many companies have trawled facebook for their prospective employees for a while now. The trick is to lock down your privacy settings totally, then you can have whatever you want and no-one outside your friends list can see what you've posted.
        Don't bet on it.

FTFA

...had no reasonable expectation that the information she posted to restricted parts of the social networking sites would remain private, even if she had previously deleted it.
        Last edited by draco664; 10-01-2010, 10:25 AM. Reason: added quote from article

Comment

That ruling only applies in a limited fashion to civil proceedings in New York State, though, and can still be overturned on appeal. There was another case in, I think Oregon? That one ruled that postings behind privacy settings were considered to fall under expectation of privacy, depending on the degree of one's privacy settings.

But again, these are both limited rulings on very specific topics. And businesses still aren't allowed to break through privacy settings on FB. If you (like me) have your settings as private as you can have them without restricting everything to ONLY yourself, then random people can't see what you post.

Comment

I signed up for their predictions emails - so far it's just things that have been announced, very few real predictions and those are expected (Oh, look! Verizon wants to go 4G!).

You can choose from people, politics, industries, companies, etc..
            Quote Dalesys:
            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Ah well. Any company wants to spend time sifting through my online emissions is more than welcome to. I've been refused jobs for stupider reasons than whatever I might have said on a website at one point.

Snake Lady! I missed you. Any new stories from the reptile front?

Comment

This is getting beyond ridiculous. Eventually all companies will find something wrong with everyone, and nobody will have a job!
                Steven Slater ROCKS! So does James Jones!

The world is an asshole contest...and EVERYONE'S A WINNER!

Comment

No-one can ever determine a crime before it happens. I could be nothing but positive and awesome, with not a mean bone in my body. Then just randomly go out into a strangers home, blow their head off, and go back home.

Likely won't know who it was, as I didn't know the person. Had no beef with them. Was totally random. Hard to figure out who did it then.
                  Military Spouse Support.
                  http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                  Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

^Well, except for how you just told us...
                    "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                    "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                    Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Working...
                    X