X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Bans Alcoholic Energy Drink

LINK

Honestly I haven't seen/heard of these drinks before. I knew they existed but I didn't know the names or know where to find them. So it's a wash for me.

But for some of them being not only four or five coffee's but also four or five beers consumed at the same time in the same can...yea that seems like a bit of a overkill. Of course I'm one of those who honestly think the regular energy drinks are overkill. I know that there are those out there who are doing 20 hour work days on 2-3 hours of sleep but thats when you've got to figure out life a bit better. Is it a short time thing? Then yea a bit of help but is it a time after time after time thing? All your going to do is cut your candle off at both ends.
    Last edited by Dips; 11-06-2010, 05:22 PM. Reason: removed fratching question

Oh gawd, people are so addicted to Tilt, Sparks, 4-Loko it was insane. People bought thoses by the CASES! I've had customers so camoring for them, they were chugging them down before the fuckers even bought them.

I think the main deal is, that alot of young people like them. To the point where around my store area, it was not uncommon for older people attempting to buy them for the 14 year olds outside, because they honestly belive it's just a normal energy drink. Even when told that 1: it's illegal and 2: it was HIGHLY alcolelic (Like 15 percent on the 16 oz cans of Sparks, they didn't care. If anything it made them want to buy it more for them, because since it's an energy drink, it must be safer for them to drink because they won't black out.

It also doesn't help much that it's extremely tasty to alot of people, and you rarely taste any alchole, so you can literally chug several bottles rather rapidly, and end up not only puking everywhere stumbling drunk and incorhent, but you still can black out, but add the heart problems on top of it is a recipe for disater.

One guy near a bar was slipping roofies in the Red Bull Vodka version, because it doesn't even change the flavor even the tiniest.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

See I know here you can buy quite a few alcoholic energy bar made drinks. One of our bars here is famous for them but they are regulated in the bar. 1. You have to be 21. and 2. At this one bar you could only buy at the maximum three. If you were found buying them for another person...both of you got booted. The reason for the three limit? It limits the bar's any wrong doing if the person goes out and have a heart attack because of the caffeine intake.

Comment

My question, do you guys think this is fair?
        Well, after discussing the bad hangovers and alcohol withdrawal I had after messing hard liquor and experiencing it, I'm sticking with the 3-beer limit in one night that a doctor a few years ago recommended to me. That actually put a stop to that.

But, personally, I dont see the point of loading up on both caffeine and alcohol at the same time. But if someone wants to do it in the privacy of their own home and it doesn't affect me then go for it.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
          See I know here you can buy quite a few alcoholic energy bar made drinks. One of our bars here is famous for them but they are regulated in the bar. 1. You have to be 21. and 2. At this one bar you could only buy at the maximum three. If you were found buying them for another person...both of you got booted. The reason for the three limit? It limits the bar's any wrong doing if the person goes out and have a heart attack because of the caffeine intake.
          That's the thing about Sparks, Tilt and 4loko and various others. You just have to go to your local store and buy as many as you want. They limit you? Go to safeway and buy more. Then go to Fred Meyers. Then go to Seven-Eleven or any other convience store. Which is exactly what Portlanders do if a store was out, which happened frequinetly with the insane popularity of it.
          Military Spouse Support.
          http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
          Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

We recently had a bunch of kids at CWU have some issue with these. At first, police thought they'd been drugged because they passed out so suddenly, but it turns out they'd been drinking these sorts of drinks.

Basically, when you're normally drinking, you start to feel groggy. It's your body's natural defense system kicking to prevent you from drinking until you pass out. With the caffeine in these drinks, though, that doesn't happen, so you keep drinking until you suddenly drop unconscious without warning. So they probably are a bit more dangerous because of that.
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

well i've heard that combining both alcohol and caffeine can actually be harmful.

"synergistic effect" - meaning that when combined they actually affect you more. and that of course it can also be fatal, depending on what you mix the alcohol with.

i mean regular irish coffee won't do it to you but... when you consider how much caffeine some of these energy drinks pack... it could perhaps have a stronger effect. especially if the drinker has several of them.

(just thinking that some of the energy drinks i use to take had warnings on them of "don't drink more than 3 a day" etc)

and if im not mistaken...i think there were some cases (forgot where tho) where people didn't read the package carefully and didn't realize they had alcohol in them. which i can understand a bit... some of these new energy drinks... if you're not familiar with them, it may be easy to just grab one and not realize... especially if they're not specifically put into the alcohol section, or if the booze section of the drinks is in the same cooler as the regular drinks etc.
              Last edited by PepperElf; 11-06-2010, 02:59 AM.

Comment

I've never understood the popularity of those types of drinks or Jager bombs.

Drunk is bad enough. Drunk AND jacked up is just a recipe for disaster.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I had equivalent to about 2 oz of this shit once....

Instant Mother freaking headache.

My sister, the wonderful person that she is, drinks about 2 every day. They are only $2.50. The ER here has been inundated with idiots who think this is regular beer and down about 4-5 of these. There has actually been a death somewhere due to these if Im not mistaken.

Do I think the ban is fair? No, But obviously theyre garnering enough (bad) attention for someone to try to do something about it. My state of PA isnt far behind...My sister isnt too happy about that... LOL.

Comment

Average price I believe is 3 bucks a can. Give or taketo your particular area. Let's say one drinks three of these a day, which would be 9 bucks a day. Over the whole year that three a day habit has cost someone 3,285 bucks. That is 2k less then my car is worth... I think I would have a far better use for nine bucks a day looking at it over the long term.

As for not being personal affecting, which someone mentioned... A lot of these people are drinking these down faster then water and then driving around. This stuff is easily pushing people over the legal limit and thus can make them dangerous on the road. There is a reason I've Bern staying off the road more, seems like the last few times I've gotten cut off or almost side swipped.

Forgive any typos I am on my iPhone while on break.

Comment

I know places in North Jersey are trying to ban them. Ramapo banned it completely and is trying to get local towns to ban it.
                      Last edited by Greenday; 11-08-2010, 12:10 AM.
                      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

The discussion of whether the ban is fair or not should be taken to Fratching.

That said, that stuff sounds more or less like prepackaged Jagerbombs.
                        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

4 years ago when I worked at the gas station was when the caffine laced beer/harder alcohol drinks started to come out in my area.

I could NEVER understand WHY someone would drink them. a speeded up drunk????? or as Dave said prepackage Jagerbomb. YUCK heck my store had caffine laced Clamato DOULBE YUCK
                          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

One of my local news stations had a story on these not too long ago. They looked kind of interesting. I'd almost want to try one except that I absolutely despise beer.
                            Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

We only had a class B liquor license at the gas station I worked at, and this was before Tilt and the others came out. People would mostly buy Redbull by the case and go to a different store to get vodka to mix it with.

Vodka and Redbull.....worse than Martha Stewart at the White House vegetable garden.
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                              X