This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's only a bottle...

I'm currently in the ER waiting room for a sudden gum swelling.

I go in to the area to get reassessed and leave my bottle of water. I realize this and go back to get it but one of the nurses has thrown it away because she wasn't sure whose it was, if it had been there awhile, or whatever.. She starts apologizing.

Repeatedly.

Apparently she gets yelled at a lot for doing this. It's just a water bottle. Why get so upset??
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Well, people who come to in the ER often have good reason to be upset -- she's probably gotten yelled at/seen others yelled at for far, far less by people who were (understandably) freaked out and just needed a target for release. Your being cool with her probably made her feel quite relieved
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Ditto that. The last time she tossed someone's water she got her ass reamed, and is now in "Please don't be mad at me!" mode.

When I get servicepeople apologizing to me over some minor screwup or inconvenience, I have a line. "If this is the worst thing that happens to me today, I'm having a pretty good day."

She sounds way nicer than the doctor and nurse from when I was in the ER a few weeks ago, who were seriously lacking in the compassion department, and skipped over a few aspects of care that are SOP. My mom, who took me in and has worked at that hospital for 35+ years, was ready to spit nails.
      My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Quoth CoffeeMonkey View Post
        She sounds way nicer than the doctor and nurse from when I was in the ER a few weeks ago, who were seriously lacking in the compassion department, and skipped over a few aspects of care that are SOP. My mom, who took me in and has worked at that hospital for 35+ years, was ready to spit nails.
        Tell me about it. My mum had to go into hospital last week to correct the partially-blocked fistula she had fitted prior to going on dialysis. They didn't give her any local anaesthetic or painkillers while poking around in her arm. After the op, not only did they "lose" her again by putting her on the wrong ward without any of her medical notes, they refused to take her concerns about not being able to contact my stepdad seriously until she pointed out he'd phone the cops if he had to in order to find her (last time they put her on the wrong ward she went 7 hours without food, water or her insulin). Then to top it off they didn't give her an aftercare plan or give her formal discharge paperwork, despite her asking twice (apparently she "didn't need it for a procedure this small").

On the upside, when she got a call from the hospital's admin department a few days later to see how she'd rate the experience, she let fly with both barrels on both her (very poor) experiences there. The woman couldn't stop saying sorry. Mum also stated that if she had to go for a procedure too complex for our local hospital (which has an excellent patient care record with her) she will be insisting on going to another large hospital, citing her last 2 experiences as evidence. Losing a patient once is careless. Losing the same patient a second time on a separate procedure many months later is negligence.
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Sadly, the ONE actual hospital in my smallish city has a reputation like that -- word on the street is basically, "If you have something worse than a cold, drive to (either of the larger cities an hour or two away) for treatment"
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

My experience today in the mini-surgery area (getting an injection) was night and day different. all the nurses were grand and made me as comfortable as they could. Half of them knew my mom.

Also mad props to the nurse doing my IV. After 6 hours of no fluids at all, and 4 days of a stomach bug, I would have expected her to have to fish a bit at my poor, dehydrated veins. Nope. One stick and she was in. Took the bandage off just now and there is barely a mark.
            My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Working...
            X