This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
    Oh, BULLSHIT. So sick of fear-mongers mindlessly trotting out the old "razor blades in apples" spook stories...
    This.

Plus there's actually a University of Delaware professor (of sociology and criminal justice, so this is right up his alley) who's investigated reports of Halloween poisonings:

After scanning major newspapers between 1958 and 1993 for stories about Halloween candy tampering, Dr. Best found nearly 100 stories that he followed up with phone calls to police and hospitals. Of those stories, Dr. Best found absolutely none that could be positively attributed to random Halloween violence. The majority were the result of pranks. The reported incidents usually involved the discovery of contaminated treats, but with no actual injury to the children. When these cases were followed up, even the contamination usually turned out to be a hoax – often one initiated by the children themselves.
    My understanding is that he's updated his research every year since he originally did it, and still has a grand total of zero cases attributable to "random Halloween violence." (Yeah, there was a kid in 1974 who died after eating Pixie Stix with cyanide--but in that case his father put that cyanide there, hoping to use the myth of Halloween poisonings to cover up the act. The father was executed, FWIW.)
    "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

And sadly, just like those still convinced that vaccinations will give you autism, no matter how many times the experts run the numbers and find it just doesn't happen, they'll still say "better safe than sorry" and do more damage and deprivation to their kid by trying to ostensibly protect them....

I'm going to stop here before I fratch.
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
        ... found a rubber pig's head mask and a sheep's mask ...
        Cool! One for each head. I'm A Hog For You Baby
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          And sadly, just like those still convinced that vaccinations will give you autism, no matter how many times the experts run the numbers and find it just doesn't happen, they'll still say "better safe than sorry" and do more damage and deprivation to their kid by trying to ostensibly protect them....
          And yet . . . the killjoys who perpetrate these kinds of Halloween myths are the very definition of "sucky customer."
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            I did get a couple kids the week before who were trick or treating for shelf stable food for the local food bank....I thought that was pretty cool.
            Yes, that is. I remember when kids would trick-or-treat for UNICEF, carry the UNICEF box with their trick-or-treat bag, and people would put change in it.
            Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
            And yet . . . the killjoys who perpetrate these kinds of Halloween myths are the very definition of "sucky customer."
            They want to remake the world in their own image, to conform to their own twisted mindset.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
            X