Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll have what the twelve year old is having.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
    because the dad who brought them obviously saw "animation" and assumed "Oh, my kids will like this".
    Heavy Metal
    Fritz The Cat
    Cool World
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    At least half the films shown at Reg Hart's Sex And Violence Film Festival

Just because it's animated doesn't mean it's suitable for kids.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      Just because it's animated doesn't mean it's suitable for kids.
      But that's the thing...the medium is consistently ghettoized as one strictly for children, at least in this country. And animation aimed at "adults" is usually filled with profanity, sex and other adolescent material to earn an "R" rating. Shame...I'd love to see more truly mature animation aimed at adult viewers like Mary & Max or Chico & Rita.

Comment

Unfortunately (or fortunately, I loved them) it took a string of Batman movies to convince me that all animation is NOT for kids.

The Dark Knight Returns, for example. SPOILERSSSSSS

All the Mutant violence
        Bruce telling the Joker's flaming corpse to "stop laughing"
        Bruce's ongoing psychosis

(Off topic, but how detail oriented they were that they got Conan o Brien to play the talk show host)
        Last edited by Tama; 10-11-2014, 07:50 PM.
        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Hm. I swear all the restaurants around here which have an official bar attached have giant "must be over 21 to enter" signs. I don't know if this is legally required, or if it's just a really popular policy. I've been to a couple places which I chose to sit in the bar (not a sports bar) just because it was much less crowded.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

As a kid I remember my parents renting a video for me called 'Plague Dogs'.

By the makers of 'Watership Down' it proudly proclaimed on the cover. I don't remember much about it but I do remember my Mum coming in while I was watching it and quickly ejecting the video and hiding it so it must have been bad.

Plus there's the history of anime movies to come out of Japan that definitely proves that not all cartoons are for kids.

Need I mention Family Guy and South Park as well?

Comment

Quoth retro View Post

By the makers of 'Watership Down' it proudly proclaimed on the cover. I don't remember much about it but I do remember my Mum coming in while I was watching it and quickly ejecting the video and hiding it so it must have been bad.

Plus there's the history of anime movies to come out of Japan that definitely proves that not all cartoons are for kids.

It's not that it's bad, but Plague Dogs is so goddammed depressing it'll hurt your soul.

There's also Fantastic Planet, Coonskin, Wizards, Fire and Ice, Persepolis, and Todd McFarlane's Spawn animated series.

Comment

There is also the movie 9, which I have a hard time seeing as a kids' film.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Rock and Rule, which my parents let me watch when I was 10.. that thing is on level with Heavy Metal for "WTF where you thinking?!" when it comes to letting a kid watch it.

Did that break my parents of thinking animation was just for kids? Nopppppeee... At least not until I introduced Dad to anime, 15 some odd years later... (No, it wasn't La Blue Girl. It was a dubbed Macross Plus.)
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Show them Hellsing.

Scared the shit out of me, even now. I can't watch it.

"Oh, the guy doing (insert bloody method of killing) looks like a good villain..."

"Oh, that's the hero!"

"WHAT?! "
                    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                      two kids under the age of ten in the row in front of me, because the dad who brought them obviously saw "animation" and assumed "Oh, my kids will like this".
                      Not only animation but horror (and in this case I use the term horror VERY loosely as you will see) films as in sometime back in the 1990s or early 2000's a man took his young son to a MID-NIGHT showing of

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

After his "experience" yhe later wrote a Letter to the Editor type manifiesto to the local newspaper decrying that (VERY paraphrased since I can not find the article anymore and the local RHPS group has since taken down said article on their website) "He was 'shocked and dismayed' that this was NOT a horror show, there was a lot of odd sex going on, there were people running around in their underwear (both on screen and IN THE audience), shouting obscenities at the screen, mocking the movie by trying to imitate it in front of the screen, generally being disruptive DURING the movie, and generally 'runining' the movie going experience."

NOW this was way before theaters and studios started doing the midnight opening thing AND really NOT much was playing at MIDNIGHT,
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth retro View Post

When I was a kid (waaaay before even the Simpsons had started) some scheduling idiot put the Watership Down animation on just after lunch on a Sunday afternoon. Mum had left me watching the telly while she went to do housework, reasoning that there was no way they'd put anything mentally scarring on at that time. I had nightmares for a month.
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth retro View Post
                          I was going to mention the South Park flick. When that flick came out, the creators were aiming to make it as offensive as possible...to prove a point about censorship. Granted, it was so over the top as to be hilarious, but still.
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                            I was going to mention the South Park flick. When that flick came out, the creators were aiming to make it as offensive as possible...to prove a point about censorship. Granted, it was so over the top as to be hilarious, but still.
                            and remember the original cut was given an NC-17 rating here in the US, so it was alledged they went back and actually added more offensive stuff and got an R rating. The MPAA objected to the excessive cursing BUT not the extream violence and bullet ridden bodies.
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                              If Cracked is correct, the original version was actually tamer than the one that got released. The MPAA (ratings crew) kept sending it back, so they took out the suggested bits and edited things to make it WORSE.
                              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                                If Cracked is correct, the original version was actually tamer than the one that got released. The MPAA (ratings crew) kept sending it back, so they took out the suggested bits and edited things to make it WORSE.
                                The story Matt and Trey told when interviewed was that the only thing changed due to the ratings people was in the Sadaam/Satan bedroom scene. Originally the dildo scene was Sadaam's real penis. They were surprised that it was the only thing they had to change.
                                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                                X