This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Stupid?

I went to the bank today. There was one person in line ahead of me. This is how the conversation with the teller went.

SC: Can I have $1300 out of this account please? (Handing over a card) I thought I had withdrawn $600 out of the ATM this morning, but only $100 came out.

T: Did you keep the receipt?

SC: No I threw it in the bin.

T: Please sign here Sir. (Looks at screen) Well Sir only $100 was taken from your account. In future if you have a query about a withdrawal you should keep the receipt and immediately come to the bank.

SC: Oh, OK (Walked away with his money)

I checked the counter for drool before I went anywhere near it. How mind-numbingly stupid do you have to be?

Quoth gerund View Post
    I checked the counter for drool before I went anywhere near it. How mind-numbingly stupid do you have to be?
    Nah, that's rock-chewingly stupid. . . which is just a step below nuclear grade.

Frankly I'm sueprised he was even capable of forming words into a sentence.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

If he'd had the receipt, he might have found that he only withdrew $100 to begin with. Also, don't ATMs have some sort of limit on how much can be withdrawn at a time? With my bank, the ATM limit is $325. His $600 would have been well outside of that!
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
        If he'd had the receipt, he might have found that he only withdrew $100 to begin with. Also, don't ATMs have some sort of limit on how much can be withdrawn at a time? With my bank, the ATM limit is $325. His $600 would have been well outside of that!
        In Australia, the general limit is $1000 at ATMs and then another $1000 via EFTPos (per day). Some banks let you set your own limit though.
        Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

Quoth aulocksmith View Post
          Some banks let you set your own limit though.
          The bank we are talking about (which bank? The one that can) does not allow you to change the amount you can get from a keycard or debit card. I believe the limit is $1000/day, but have not had to test that for some years. The ATMs they use have been simplified several times over previous years, now they are as simple as they could be and still gather the information they need to complete the transaction.

There are buttons down each side that are common answers to the questions they ask - and while this is is not as simple as "What is your favourite colour?" neither is it as complex as "What sort of Swallow - African or European?"

You are taken by the hand and led step by step through the account, amount you want and if you want a receipt. Yes you can even tell it you don't want a receipt. That's another reason why the SC should be pointed at and laughed about. Why get a receipt then throw it out? Why not just push the button that says "No Receipt"?

Anyone could operate it - except the drooling idiot in my story.

Comment

Most US banks set the daily limits based on the age, history and type of account. For example, one of my checking accounts has a daily POS limit of $500 and an additional ATM cash withdrawal limit of $300. The other account has a POS limit of $4500 and an ATM cash withdrawal limit of $1000 (though individual ATM's might have lower transaction limits due to a variety of factors including how much cash they're stocked with and what type of neighborhood they're in.). While I was working for MajorBank, I saw POS limits as high as $500,000.

On the topic of receipts, my bank's ATM's ask if you want a paper receipt, and emailed receipt or no receipt. I like the email option.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Working...
            X