This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't drag me in to your fight

I cannot count the number of times than an SC wants to drag me into their tantrums.

The most recent time, I was in Target buying hangers, I think. It was late night on a slow night (like a Wednesday) so there weren't a lot of cashiers. There were 2 cashiers (one was obviously new) and a customer service person cashing people out. I had been in new girls line for a couple of minutes, nothing ridiculous when she began having some trouble. she called over the supervisor and they were trying to work through the issue. They paged ANOTHER supervisor over to try and get it fixed. It had only been a couple of minutes when the guy in front of me (and next in line) began having a fit. He starts *loudly* talking about how lazy the cashiers are, and that look, 3 of them are just hanging out and talking. I was content to ignore him, but he started trying to get me join in his fit. I finally told him that only an idiot would be unable to tell that there was an issue with the computer, and only a dumbass would think that the 3 people frantically trying to fix it were "hanging out talking" and if he couldn't wait, maybe he should get into another lane. They had apologized a group of times for the wait and it really wasn't that long. At least he shut up.

Another time, In walmart, some lady by the entrance was screaming at the greeter because her orange juice was in the bottom of the cart and started leaking. she tried to get me to agree that the baggers were stupid and didn't know what they were doing. In her case, I just looked at her and said "Walmart doesn't have baggers. You load the cart yourself as the items are bagged. I would assume you created your own problem". She screamed some nonsense at me that I can't remember, but my daughter was with me, at the time she was only 3 or 4, and my daughter said, like really loud, "What is WRONG with that lady? She is so MEAN". Which effectively shut the woman up.

Why do people think that everyone is as nasty and entitled as they are? If I don't have time to wait in a slower line, then I'll move lanes. I've never felt the urge to try and get a random stranger to agree that employees are inept. If I really feel they are inept, I'll pull a manager aside to voice my concerns.

Please inform your kid that she is awesome ^_^
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      Please inform your kid that she is awesome ^_^
      Thanks. Now she is 13 and would be too scared to speak up. At least in front of the SC

Comment

I had someone try that with me awhile back. It was back in the late 80s, shortly after I started the job I have now, so the horrors of customer service were still fresh in my mind.

Back then, credit cards weren't as widely used as they are now, and they were just starting to take off. I was doing some Christmas shopping, and the store I was in had just recently started taking credit cards, but only a few of the registers were equipped to take them. There were signs on each register, indicating that they could take credit cards, or "Cash or check only." I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.

I didn't even have a credit card yet, so I was in one of the regular lines. Sure enough, someone tried to pay with a credit card, which the register couldn't process. So the cashier had to call a manager up, and everyone in line was getting annoyed. Not with the customer, but with the cashier. Several not-so-nice statements were made about the cashier being "stupid", and that sort of thing. The guy in front of me made some comment, and then looked at me like he expected me to agree with him. I just told him, "It's not the cashier's fault that people are too stupid to read the signs that say which registers can and can't take credit cards!" The guy looked at me like I had two heads, but didn't say anything else to me after that.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I've think I've only had this happen to me once, and it was in my store but she didn't know that I worked there. She complained to me when a cashier went on break, "People here are always going on break!" And I responded with something like "it's a state law, she HAS to go." Then (thank goodness) a manager called me up to checkout.

I can't stand when people do that thing where they sigh or shift on their feet anxiously or make little sounds of impatience. At the grocery store they have 20 lanes, not counting 10 self checkouts. I walk all the way down nearly to 20 were it's all calm. If you have one frigging item DON'T expect me to let you go in front of me. Why? Because I every single time I have, that ONE item took longer than my 30. So suck it up and walk to the SCO or express lanes. /rant
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

People that try to drag me into their fits just get a, "You are an idiot," look. I don't say a word, because I promised my hubby that I'd stop trying to talk to idiots. He said something about heads and brick walls.

However, I try my best to cheer up the cashier and at least give 'em a laugh when dealing with my bumbling self.
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

April, I just tried to quote all the bits in your post that I thought deserved a and realised I was quoting the whole post (which is rather frowned on *waves at mods*)

I wish there were more customers like you who were willing to speak up at blatant idiocy and bullying.
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

When I have children, I'm going to train them to yell at rude customers. Your daughter is awesome

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                  I don't say a word, because I promised my hubby that I'd stop trying to talk to idiots.
                  Don't argue with idiots. People might not be able to tell the difference.

Don't argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Finally, if you argue with an idiot and win, what do you get? A smarter idiot? You may win and the idiot will not realise it, or perhaps not accept it. What do you do then?

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                    I wish there were more customers like you who were willing to speak up at blatant idiocy and bullying.
                    Amen to that! It might make these SCs think about what they're doing, realize they're in the wrong and try to do better.

Well, at the very least, it should shut them up when they see that not everybody agrees with them.

Either way, April, for trying to get through to them.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth gerund View Post
                      What do you do then?
                      Find a good place to stash the body, of course!

Hub's reason is that it's less of a headache to beat your head against a brick wall than argue with an idiot.
                      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
                      X