Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry, I'm a what for protecting your credit?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, I'm a what for protecting your credit?

This involves the first words of the original Star Wars rolling text:

A long time ago in a [mall] far, far away...

I was working my first retail job. I'd been there a month, maybe two. Guy comes in and picks some games out (I worked in a shop that sold games and puzzles, that's it - minorly irrelevant, but anyway). He comes up to the register. I ring up his sale, and he hands me his credit card. I run the card and hand him the slip to sign, which he does. Up to here, just basic, "Find everything OK?" "Yeah" "Total is..." conversation, neutral interaction, just two drones processing the transaction. As I take the signature slip, I check the card signature against the one on the slip.

Guy asks why I checked, so I told him the truth: "I have to."

He pops a gasket, throws a gear and says, "You have long hair, too, you -nut!"

My manager offered me some advice after that: tell them 'It's to protect you (the customer) from credit card fraud.' My advice to everyone else: when you're actually handed the card, swipe it, then, hold it signature facing you over the receipt printout. This lets you check the signature without being obvious.

----

Another credit card nugget of wisdom: some names may traditionally be used for one gender, but that doesn't mean the other gender can't use them. I once had a customer who was really awesome about this. I asked for an ID because it looked like she was using her husband's car. She showed me her ID and said she got that all the time. Her name was Christopher.

The customer was very rude responding the way he did. Bear in mind though that on the back of the card where they sign, it may be a very fancy perfect cursive handwriting, and when they sign the slip, electronic pad, etc, it will be a lazy signature that does not look anything like the fancy writing on the back of the card. Heck I'd have some people write a straight line or even just put an X

Comment

Her name was Christopher.
      Okay, I'm all for not giving my kids the same name as every other kid in school, but WHO DOES THAT????
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

To sort of answer your question tollbaby-- maybe someone who didn't have a son and liked the name Christopher, regardless? As for the SC in the OP...Let him get his card stolen, THEN see how much of a gasket he pops!
        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth TheITGuy View Post

http://www.angelfire.com/stars/chris...ris/norris.htm

Comment

I went to school with a girl named Michael. Some of the teachers would call her Michelle.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth TheITGuy View Post

If you were in the northern suburbs of Denver, I know that girl. Went to high school with her. Her husbands name is Kristopher.

Comment

Could be worse...They could write SEE ID on the card and then get ticked when you card them ...>_>
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Could be worse...They could write SEE ID on the card and then get ticked when you card them ...>_>
                  I've had that happen FAR too many times.

I was happy when the chip/PIN system for credit cards started, but that was before I learned that it was my fault (personally) that nobody could remember their PIN. Makes me wish for the good old days of "see ID" really...

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
                    If you were in the northern suburbs of Denver, I know that girl. Went to high school with her. Her husbands name is Kristopher.
                    not quite as bad but still....
                    my neice's name is Christine and her hubbys name is Christopher
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth BowserKoopa1 View Post
                      The customer was very rude responding the way he did. Bear in mind though that on the back of the card where they sign, it may be a very fancy perfect cursive handwriting, and when they sign the slip, electronic pad, etc, it will be a lazy signature that does not look anything like the fancy writing on the back of the card. Heck I'd have some people write a straight line or even just put an X
                      We had a customer who put a sketch of a penguin in. We also found out through this method that if there are too many lines it refuses it.
                      Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
                      Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
                      -Unknown Author

Comment

I have "see ID" on my card because my mum always told me to put it on there. I've only been ID'd once, even though I generally hand the person my card at the mall. The game store guy was like "who even puts this on their card nowdays?" I was like..."Well, my mum and I do, for two people at least."
                        Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                        http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

I encountered a woman named Anthony once. She told me "my parents wanted a boy."

Also I am not 100 percent sure but I don't think SEE ID is valid on the back of the card unless there is a signature along with it.
                          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                            Also I am not 100 percent sure but I don't think SEE ID is valid on the back of the card unless there is a signature along with it.
                            It isn't. Says right in the credit card agreement that nobody ever reads...

Comment

Speaking of names, the woman who did the flowers at my wedding was named "Tonie" pronounced "Tony". A few months after my wedding, she got married ..... to Bill Toney. So her name became Tonie Toney.

Comment

Working...
                              X