Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I used to feel bad about the treatment Property Management employees receive..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I used to feel bad about the treatment Property Management employees receive..

... but now I must join the rest of the people who have realized that they actually do deserve the shit they deal with.
    I'll remind those who have forgotten, I live in a rented condo, I pay the property management fee separate from my rent. The monthly fee is $150, we are one of the less expensive communities, yet apparently from what I've heard from people who live in other communities we receive some of the better service (terrifying thought).
    So, on with my bitching.
    1) I am 6 foot, my shortest neighbor is 5'6"... the trees are trimmed at just over 5 feet above the sidewalk (now, I aint no math major, but...).
    2) This year the pool has had no problem with the health department, though I think that may be because of a lack of inspection. The pool area is always dirty, the pool furniture is all broken, and last year the pool was closed TWICE by the health department in 3 months.
    3) Trash in the parking lot. This is a common occurrence (and it's not our neighbors doing it, it's the people in the Section 8 housing next door doing it), our maintenance team refuses to pick any of it up, we take turns cleaning the parking lot.
    4) Graffiti, not often, but Property Management refuses to paint over it, they just let it sit until some resident gets sick of it and buys paint themselves and paint it themselves.
    5) In the winter they neither plow the parking lot nor shovel/salt the sidewalks.
    6) It took the liability insurance company threatening to cancel coverage to get them to fix the wood rot on the balcony railings.
    7) Their accountant can't possibly be certified, and if they are they shouldn't be. I'm not sure how familiar the folks on this board are with accounting law, but those of you who are familiar will understand immediately just how wrong this is.
    They released their financial statements and they didn't even hide their unethical techniques. They have several investment owners who will pay for a full year of fees up front rather than month to month. To hide their collections problem, they would put the prepayments in as a negative accounts receivable
    Now to explain to those without any accounting background, an accounts receivable can never go negative, if someone overpays a new account MUST be created to reflect that the person has overpaid. I have checked with three separate of my accounting professors and they all agreed, there are only two reasons to put in a negative accounts receivable, first to reduce receivables, second to reduce liabilities (since an overpaid account is legally considered a liability). The most plausible reason to do either is to mislead investors and/or banks (though I cannot say that is what they are doing, merely that it is a likely reason to put in the entries incorrectly).
    8) And now for the reason that I will be calling them tomorrow.
    We have been having a problem with the people on the other side of the building telling their guests to park in my parking space. Tonight I called the office to ask for the number to call to have unauthorized vehicles towed, and the employee admitted they had no plan for dealing with unauthorized vehicles.
    Umm excuse me?
    You have NO plan for dealing with unauthorized vehicles?
    We aren't talking about the middle of the suburbs where parking is nearly unlimited, we are talking about urban South Salt Lake where if you don't have an assigned space you may end up having to go half a block away or more to find a space, and that's not when one of the places down the street throws a block party (in which case plan on being at least a quarter mile to half mile away). And you have no plan on what to do when after I've gotten nothing else for my $150 for me to even get into my parking spot? I'm sorry, I'm not paying you 150 fucking dollars a month to park a block away (while getting hit by the trees that you don't trim, looking at the landscaping changes that you made without HOA approval, and seeing the trash all around the place).
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

No wonder they're having a collection problem and thus get really excited when people prepay for the year.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Your landlord is really taking a chance letting you pay the maintenance fee. If you suddenly decided not to pay it, the managers could foreclose on your condo.

I wonder if there is anything in the ownership contract that says if the condo owners can fire the property managers? I also wonder how many owners actually live in that complex. Sounds like it would take the owners getting together to force the company to fulfill its obligations . . . and it also sounds like there are a lot of investment owners who simply do not care.

Sucks.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Don't know exactly where ya live, other than its cold, but down here, condos are really run by the owners who are on the Board of Directors. They hire the management company, so if they don't care about the things going on in the community, that company won't change the way they do things.

Having said that, most Boards couldn't care less about what a tenant wants or is complaining about, since they really are supposed to be getting their money from the owner of the condo. A complaint might get more action coming from your landlord. After all, I'm sure that its in your contract with him to have access to certrain amenities like the pool and your parking spot.

Good luck!

Comment

The maintenance fucks around here will raise heaven and earth to pound on your door until it nearly gives to scream at you to move your vehicle after it's snowed (nowhere NEAR when they say they will, though), but when the parking lot is a total ice-rink (and a bunch of elderly live here!!!) they are nowhere to be found. Complain enough, and you get the Redneck Sand Truck, which was a pickup truck with its back bed full of sand that a guy standing in the back was shoveling as the truck drove by to and fro all over the parking lot, barely getting any of it.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
            Your landlord is really taking a chance letting you pay the maintenance fee. If you suddenly decided not to pay it, the managers could foreclose on your condo.
            Considering the landlord is my mother (who was still smart enough to make me sign a contract), if I decide not to pay we will have a lot more problems than a simple contract violation
            And yes, theoretically the HOA could fire the management company, but the HOA plain doesn't care. A quarter actually like the property management (why I don't know), a quarter don't care, a quarter hate them but are too lazy to change anything, and a quarter never shows up... which I guess could be lumped in with the ones who don't care.
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I'm kind of undecided who I feel more bad for, because one of my former coworkers, Mo, is a landlord and my aunt and uncle inherited some rental properties from my aunt's father, and some of their stories make you shudder.

But at the same time, the treatment I get from my landlord and the maintenance people just makes me seething with rage.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Damn Smiley! That sounds *exactly* the sort that owned the building where I used to work. They chose not to maintain the building, and then couldn't figure out why most of the tenants (including my boss) said "fuck you" when it was time to renew the lease.

First off, they refused to plow the tiny parking lot, or at least throw salt down on the sidewalks. Even the main lot across the (4-lane) speedway known as Craig Street. That lot was below street level, wasn't lit at night, and was usually packed with idiots from the UPMC (health care) facility around the corner. Did the UPMC people actually pay to park there? Hell no! It wasn't even their lot!

Second, the trash issue. Not only was there always an interesting assortment of trash on the sidewalks, but in the parking lots, and common areas as well. Seems that the clean-up crews only took care of the offices, or half-assed the rest of the building. But, the biggest trash issue...came from the day-care service on the 5th floor. They'd have cans full of dirty diapers...which would sit in the hall all week. Now that was freaking nasty, especially since the odor would drift downstairs

Third had to be the elevator. Seriously, you could walk up the 4 floors to the 5th floor entrance (the building was built against a hillside) in less time than it took the tiny (and usually dirty and stinky) elevator to travel the same distance. Hell, you could stop and throw a few paper airplanes off the 3rd floor balcony, and *still* beat the elevator

Fourth, anyone want to guess what happened when most of the tenants moved out? The landlord tried raising rents on the justification that they "were going to refurbish the building." Right, and pigs will fly out my butt That last issue was the one that caused my company to move. Well that, and the landlord's attempt at trying to make the tenants responsible for the common area upkeep...

Last I heard, that building is still having a hard time attracting tenants. You never see any cars outside. Gee, I wonder why
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                X