This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
    But for people who are criticizing those who would put a dog down because of a broken leg, please be careful what you say if you've never been in that position. My service dog "only" had a broken leg, but it was going to cost upwards of $5000 to fix it. We just didn't have that kind of money, and there was no way we could get our hands on even half of it. You can say that you would "do anything" to come up with the money, but have you really considered what "anything" entails? Or how much "anything" would actually bring in?
    This is the truth right here. My aunt went the anything route to keep her cat alive. This was a cat with so many health problems that he needed round the clock care, expensive treatments, the works. When it was all said and done, she had lost her husband, her car, her house, and her life savings. All to keep her cat alive. It's been about 10 years now since that and she's just now getting back to having a comfortable life.

As much as I love all the pets I've had and look forward to having pets in the future, there are limits. It's not easy to say goodbye to a beloved pet, but sometimes that's what you have to do.

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
      See, I'm nastier than that. I'd have reported her to the OSCPA.

And the local news media .

Oh yeah, that too....after the beating.

Quoth patiokitty View Post
      In the end my ex-roomie got kicked by karmic retribution...much better than me doing anything to her Her parents took away the car they had been helping her buy after an incident including one of their cats, kicked her out, and essentially cut her off. Any money she had from working (before she got fired, and that was before she lost her car) was spent by her scuzball boyfriend, and the last I heard she spent time in jail due to identity theft. She lost all her friends and her boyfriend took off after the money and the car were gone...and I discovered that while she caused the most damage to my pet that Splat wasn't the first animal she had hurt. I can only hope that nobody else had to deal with what I went through. She is part of the reason I refuse to have roommates ever again...my son excluded.
      It sounds like she's seriously disturbed. People who harm animals often go on to harm people.

As for anyone on here threatening the roomie... no, we're not. We're just expressing the anger we would have felt under those circumstances and saying what we think we would have done had we been in the same situation. No one else on here even knows the woman's name, so she's not in any danger from us.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Oreo just showed up on our porch one day looking like hell. We took him down to the vets office and found out that he had three cracked ribs, broken teeth, a really bad case of fleas, was under nourished (he only weighed 5 pounds), was nutered to early, and was scared of humans. I was very angry for him. The vet said that he recover ok but it would take a lot of work to help him get over everything that hed gone through. He did end up having an operation to have his teeth fixed.

Now six years later he is at a healthy weight of 10 pounds, has very beautiful long black and white fur and is as energetic as ever. The only problem he has now a days is his fear of strangers but it isn't as bad as it once was.

Comment

Quoth tigger222 View Post
          The only problem he has now a days is his fear of strangers but it isn't as bad as it once was.
          Love is free and building trust costs nothing but time and patience. Oreo has a good family.
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth zombiequeen View Post
            That's like whoever hit our dog, they didn't even stop or do anything,
            Oh man, this sounds exactly like what happened to my familly's dog when I was a kid, except the person who hit him KNEW HIM. Our neighbors had 3 kids who were all around my age, and they had the same babysitter whenever the parents would need one...and the kids and I were all good friends, so they all, the babysitter included, knew our dog, Buddy. One night, Buddy didn't come home. We called and called for him...called the neighbors and asked if any of them had seen him...nope, hadn't seen him. Finally my parents went out looking for him. Found him dead out in the woods (my parents live out in the country.) Found out later on that the babysitter was taking the oldest of the 3 neighbor kids to soccer practice or something, and she hit Buddy right at the end of our driveway. The neighbor boy told her he'd be fine and not to stop 'cuz he'd be late for practice. Then went on to lie when we called asking if any of them had seen Buddy. I still haven't completely forgiven that ass, and this happened probably 15-18 years ago. Buddy was a great dog, probably the best dog my family ever had.

Comment

Years ago, I had a job delivering pizza, and hit a dog while trying to find a house late at night (I don't see well in the dark). I knew I'd hit an animal as I caught a glimpse of it out of the corner of my eye, just as I hit it.

I pulled over and saw I'd hit this beautiful chocolate lab, and that it was still alive. I didn't know what to do, but I was very upset, and crying. This was in the days before cell phones were everywhere, so I didn't even know how to call for help.

Luckily, a neighbor had heard the accident, and knew who the dog belonged to, and went and got the owner. I was profuse in my apologies. I had a big blanket in my car, and we wrapped the dog up, put him in the back of my car, and I drove them to the vet. The owner was very nice about the whole thing, didn't blame me at all, and thanked me for stopping and for the lift.

The pizza was over an hour late by the time all was said and done. I figured my job was toast when I got back to the store (this was back in the days of 30 minute guarantees), but the manager was totally awesome about it. He'd sent another driver out to deliver the original pizza and to look for me, called my place, and was getting ready to call the cops when I got back. When I told him what happened, he was very cool with it . . . told me not to worry about it, asked me if I was hurt and if I wanted to keep working or go home. I wanted to keep working, so he sent me out with the next delivery.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

knowing my aunt it was more likely cos she didn't want anyone else to have her dog

according to mom, our aunt would have never liked having her clothes donated to charity after her death. so i can see where she'd want the dog put down too.

as for being crazy - that's just how i saw the dog. first time i held the dog on my lap she was so excited she peed on me. a tiny bundle of doggy happiness and endless energy... that made me realize i never want a poodle heh.

oh and yes, we donated the clothes too.

Comment

I've got to stop reading threads like this. Why do I do this to myself everytime.
                  Take this job and shove it. I ain't workin here no more.

Proud Air Force Mom

Comment

Why not give the dog to a shelter or rescue agency? You could then conceivably have a friend "adopt" the dog and have that same friend give you the dog back with half the cost.

Comment

Quoth searssoulslave View Post
                      Why not give the dog to a shelter or rescue agency? You could then conceivably have a friend "adopt" the dog and have that same friend give you the dog back with half the cost.
                      Someone did that with our first dog, & he refused (ever so politely) to go back when she had the money to keep him again. She was happy enough about it, since we were, so we ended up with a dog
                      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                        If not for the compassion of my MIL and the vets and staff at Thomasville Animal Hospital, Goldie wouldn't be walking around the room right now, exercising her healing leg and begging for tablescraps from Hubby.
                        One of the few reasons to smile in this thread.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                        X