This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic fail by the Insurance company

My husband and I have a house that we bought about 8 years ago. The house is in good shape, but does need some touch up work. The paint around the windows needs to be redone, the screening on our porch needs to be replaced, etc. Overall, nothing big.

Enter our insurance company, who sent us a letter that let us know that they had come to our house and looked it over, and unless we fixed the items on their list, they would drop our homeowners insurance.

Included on the list of three things to be done were paint the windows, rescreen the sunroom, and have our roof inspected.

So, we called a contractor who came out and looked at our roof, and told us it was wind damage (the shingles were raised up a little, but could have been nailed back down, there were no leaks, no other damage)

I called my agent and told her that our contractor said it was wind damage, so she entered a claim. The insurance company called back and said that they were sending out an independent contractor to verify. Thursday, he came out. The Insurance company called me today with the results. We get a new roof (hail and wind damage), new siding (there were two holes, but apparently our siding is no longer made, so they have to replace it all), new gutters, new vents on our roof, and new window covers for our basement (these were ruined by our dogs, but hey, whatever!)

Total cost to insurance: $10k. If they had just let us do what we were gonna do anyway? No cost to them.

Why do I feel like this is a win?
    Remember, stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

I have to give a bit of caution here, anytime insurance pays out..look for a rate increase. Might not be, but normally they do not end up actually paying anything..the rate increase will pay them back and then some.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

*nods* Make sure your rates aren't affected. They're not always so generous XD

Comment

I know about the rate increase (possibly) coming, but I have on my policy that they will not increase for the first claim-ever. If they do increase, I will argue it.
        Remember, stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

Comment

Win for you, as others noted look for a rate increase but also expect that they may drop you at your next renewal. Might not hurt to be a bit proactive and know what options are available with other insurers.

Here if FL we dont dare make a claim on insurance... We had a lot of hurricane activity in 2004 and since then most insurers left the state and the few that are left are very expensive and hard to get coverage with.

Comment

Working...
          X