This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Saga of Eireann

As you know, things haven't been the best in my life, in terms of finance, for some time.

After worrying and fretting and knocking myself out to pay the rent on time, and usually paying it late because I was afraid of getting evicted - well, you can guess what happened. The owners became weary of me being late, not having enough money, etc. My fears all came true, in other words.

So, we agreed that I would vacate the apartment on the 31st. Today. I have a new place to live, so this is good. It's much cheaper than the apartment, which is even better. I can have Kitty, which is fabulous!

Well, it seems that wasn't enough for the owners. Last night, I discovered that I had no Internet connection. They've been pushing me for money (as if I have a secret Swiss bank account filled with billions, and I'm not paying them simply out of spite).

Then, today. They showed up at the door. They came to read the meters, to see how much I had used in the way of utilities. Former landlady asked me when I was leaving (such graciousness!). I told her I would move tomorrow.

"No, TODAY," she said. I kid you not, she refused to let me stay less than twelve hours past midnight. No.

"But, Eireann," I can hear you saying, "if you had no Internet, and she wouldn't let you stay another night anyway, where did you go?"

Well, folks, I'm at the thrift store.

Really. The owners told me I could stay here tonight. Kitty is with me. I have some toiletries and a change of clothing in a bag, and this is where I'm staying on a Saturday night.

Tomorrow, I go BACK to the apartment and get my stuff out of it. You see, they don't mind if my things are there. They just mind if I am there. Figure that out, if you can; I've given up trying.

I know full well that people are not consistent. We just aren't. Even knowing this, I want assholes to be assholes and sweethearts to be sweethearts, and ne'er the twain shall meet. They've been very nice to me on many occasions, which makes this sudden about-face so surprising. I've spent a lot of time beating myself up over their kindness to me, and agonizing over how I could make things right, but again, I've given up trying. After the rudeness of this morning, I spent some time boxing and bagging and wrapping and throwing away and recycling. Finally, I faced them again.

They were nice to me. I was given a carefully-itemized account of what I owe, and believe it or not, I was the one who suggested a payment date! "It's up to you," my former landlady said.

Life is so weird.

Well, you do owe them rent, so....

Money, when it's owed, does a real number on friendships.

It seems to me that they understand you don't have the money, but they still need to be paid for services.
    Maybe they are cutting their losses by evicting you so they can rent to someone who can be more consistent with the rent money, but because they understand you are in a financial bind, they are saying, "It's up to you" to set a repayment date for what you owe.

I'm not without sympathy for your situation, but I do understand the landlord's side as well.
    People do gotta eat, and not too many people rent for free.
    Last edited by Ree; 04-02-2012, 05:07 PM.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
    X