This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog people, help

I dog sit for my neighbors while she's away, because he can't walk them. Today I notice one of the dogs was refusing to use one of her feet on certain surfaces. When I got them back to the house, and inspected her foot, I discovered that one of her claws has gotten so long it's curled around and embedded itself in her pad. Of course I told him right away, and volunteered to drive Lulu (the dog) to the vet.

But, that's not gonna happen tonight, and, frankly, these people don't take good care of the dogs, on top of having very little money, so it might not happen for a little while. I have no money, or I'd just take Lulu myself. Is there anything I can do for her in the meantime?
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

This might sound harsh, but call animal control. They should at least send someone out to investigate, and determine the best thing for the animals at that point. It's a sad thing to have to do, but it's what I've done myself in situations such as this.

Comment

It really irks me when people get pets and either can't, won't, or don't know how to take care of them.

At this point it is painful for the dog to walk and the nails need to be done - you should take it to a very or a Petco / Petsmart if they do nails. As them for a quick look over about the dog, too. let them know it is your neighbor's dog and you're concerned about the dog's health.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Personally, it's one thing to not be able to afford expensive treatment or surgery which ultimately affects how the dog can handle things. I can understand that. But not doing basic maintenance like trimming claws? I can't forgive that.

Call around and explain. Maybe a place might offer to do something for you or let you know where you can go. Maybe there's a vet school in your area, I don't know. Worth a shot.

If the owners still don't want to do anything, then I'd call the situation in.

Comment

I agree with Slayer, call some local vet hospitals or even shelters and ask if someone would be willing to either take a look at the dog without charge, or give you some advice over the phone. Even better if you know or can find their specific vet (if they have one.) Our vet does nail trimming for their own patients free of charge, and they are also very nice about giving advice over the phone, especially for something that's non-critical.

Comment

Geez. I trim my own animal's nails. It's not hard (well, not for mine, they're all small animals - even the dog)

However, if the nail is embedding into the paw, that's a vet situation.

IF you feel up to doing so, buy a pair of nail clippers the appropriate size for the dog, and trim the nails that are not yet embedded. Also buy styptic (sp?) powder, and learn how to find the quick: a skilled staffer, or any dog groomer, can tell you.

But I wouldn't be touching the nail-in-the-paw myself. I'd definitely be taking that one to a vet.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

If you try to trim the other nails yourself, make sure you have good treats to give the dog. Most dogs DO NOT like having their feet touched without compensation. And it has to be the good stuff: chicken, hot dogs, puppy crack, roast beef, etc. Decide which nails need trimming most and do them first in case the dog won't tolerate you doing all of them in one go. Definitely get the embedded one looked at by a professional.
              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth PawnPrincess Ardra View Post
                This might sound harsh, but call animal control. They should at least send someone out to investigate, and determine the best thing for the animals at that point. It's a sad thing to have to do, but it's what I've done myself in situations such as this.
                I'm not really a dog-person myself. Kinda. I always had cats. But now that we have our dog... I can't imagine any responsible owner NOT noticing the condition of the animal's paws.

Without even getting up to go look at her, I know my dogs nails have grown a few millimeters from when she was groomed last. It's nowhere near needing trimming yet, but I know where it's at.

Cos... Well I play with the dog and look at her.

It's a shame the dog your sitting has owners that don't do this.

Comment

ech

yah, if it's in grown, you will likely have to go see a vet about it, and if the other nails look like they are on the way, see if you can do something about it.

One warning:
                  If you decide to do it your self, you will likely hit the quick, and it will bleed, and as Seshat said, styptic sticks will fix it, but it will also leave you with an unhappy puppy as apparently the stuff stings like all get out. I worked for a vet for a summer, and cutting the quick isn't all that uncommon (very hard to tell on an animal with black claws), and it tends to not bother them, but once the styptic stick was applied they would start squirming fast.

Either way, best of luck for you and the dog.

Comment

I don't own a styptic stick. I use regular flour. It works and doesn't sting as much.
                    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Well, I had to do way more footwork than should have been necessary on my part, but the dog has an appointment tomorrow at 2:30.
                      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

On behalf of pets and pet people everywhere. THANK YOU ! ! !

Comment

Quoth Shpepper View Post
                          On behalf of pets and pet people everywhere. THANK YOU ! ! !
                          Count me in on this! Knowing there are people out there who would do that restores my faith in humanity a little bit.

Comment

I'm glad you are able to bring her in, please let us know how it goes.

Comment

You ROCK. You rock HARD.

If you're going to be at the vet's, have the vet or a vet assistant teach you how to trim claws. Just in case these owners - or some other owners - don't.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X