This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever heard of this company?

I was finishing my last day at * and selling some luggage, and the lady I was selling to said I would do great selling cosmetics. She gave me her card and asked me to look into it. I admit I am weak in the ways of Google-fu, so I can't tell if this is legit.

The company is called Aloette, and from what I can see, it's like Avon or Mary Kay. Thoughts? Is it a good company? Anyone ever heard of it?
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

I've heard of it. I don't know that much about it, but my first experience with it was about 16-17 years ago. A friend of mine was hosting something that is akin to a Tupperware party but with cosmetics. It was Aloette products. I don't remember that much from that day since I was a teenager back then...and my teenaged years were a bit fuzzy.

Edit: I guess the point of that was to say that the company has been in existence for a least 16-17 years and is still in operation, so I guess it's legit?

Comment

I would stay far far away unless you like recruiting and making people sell for you.

Comment

Find out how people actually make money in that company.

A lot of these are little more than pyramid schemes dressed up and with a product: in other words, you make more money, the more people you have 'below' you in the pyramid.

If you don't enter a pyramid scheme early, you don't make much off it - and people 'above' you make money off you.

Pure pyramid schemes are so much a trickster's game that many countries make them illegal: the 'it's not a pyramid scheme, we're selling products, see?' schemes are a way to get around the rules.

That said: if you can make a comfortable living from it (or comfortable side-job or whatever you want) without having to do anything that makes you feel is dodgy, go for it.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Yeah, I'd say it's definitely not a way to make a *main* income.

I sold Avon for a while and you can make money if you sell to a lot of people, but since I like Avon products, the little profits I made went back into the products. I learned quickly enough that it wasn't for me.

Comment

I used to sell Aloette.
            It's an aloe based skin care line with a line of makeup as well.

It used to be a really great product, and the only thing I could use on my skin.
            I have extremely sensitive skin on my face.
            A year or so after I started selling, the company was sold, and the new owner decided to change the formula to a botanical based product.
            The first time I tried the new product, it burned my face so badly, that I lost complete faith in the product I was supposed to be selling.
            I kept being told that I just needed to do trial and error to see what did work for me and what caused a reaction, but I just couldn't be bothered to go through all of that.
            I finally just gave it up completely.

It's not a scam company, I can assure you, and, no, it is not a "pyramid scheme".
            It is a legitimate "Multi Level Marketing" company.
            There is a difference. Pyramid schemes become impossible to sustain.
            The company has been around for over 30 years.

They do home shows where they do a complete facial and makeover on the host.
            The host gets free product based on how much is sold at the party, as well as any bookings from guests.
            The Aloette rep gets a certain commission based on the show sales.

If I recruited someone, I got a commission based on their sales, and so on.
            That person became a part of my manager's team, and she also made a commission based on their sales.
            The Aloette rep has a manager, and that manager gets a certain commission based on each of her team's sales.
            She has a supervisor who gets a commission as well.
            Every time my customers placed a reorder for product, there was a certain commission as well. The commission varied according to whether it was a sale from a show or just a customer reorder.

Even at the bottom, you can make money. If you can reach management level, there is a potential to make really good money. They also offer incentives for recruitment and awards for sales.
            They have cruises and other special events where rewards are handed out. (Diamond jewellery, etc.)

They provide lots of training as well.
            You have to get a kit to start up, but if you book enough shows, you can get the whole thing free. (Or, you could at that time. Maybe it's changed.)

I never made a lot of money at it because I was just not good at the type of sales skills required.
            I couldn't get bookings because I know what a pain it is to host the shows and get people to come out and buy, so I was no good at putting on the pressure to encourage people to book.

I did believe in the product, though, so I was able to sell a certain amount of product and got a few reorders from people.

You just have to be good at sales as well as recruiting. I wasn't, so I was not successful.
            Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

@ Ree It was basically the same thing for me and Avon. Except we didn't host Avon parties. The structure was similar though, as in you'd get commissions for every new recruit that would sell under you.

Comment

Ree, I don't see how any multi-level marketing isn't a pyramid. It may not be a "scheme" but it's still a pyramid. So you'll only make money if you can sell product and recruit. Well no you would make more recruiting because you don't need product to try and make a profit.

So you buy your first kit and are already in the hole. Someone buys *something* and only part of that price can be used to fill the hole because you'll have to replace that product in your kit, if you sold it from your kit. Maybe you can recruit one person so you'll have a small small percentage of what they made.

Ex.

xxxXxxx - Your recruiter
                xxxXXxxx - You (general) and another
                xxXXXXxx - Your recruitments and other persons recruitments

All sending money up to the recruiter. How isn't this a scheme?

For record I'm going with some of my views on this from "Penn and Teller Bullshit: Easy Money" video 1 and video 2. Note, as this is Penn and Teller and they are censored a bit, still NSFW.

Comment

I didn't deny the profits were structured like a pyramid, but there were a couple of posts that referred to it as a "pyramid scheme." It is NOT a pyramid scheme.

If you look at the links, you will see the difference, in that, unlike a pyramid scheme, in MLM, the person at the bottom actually has the potential to make money. Yes, the higher up you go, the more money you can make, but with a pyramid scheme, the person on the bottom usually makes an investment and then is left hanging to bring in people to make their money. In my experience with this company, I made money based on my sales, and it didn't cost me an investment of my own money as long as I booked the required number of shows.
                  Not only that, but I also earned commission on my sales from those initial shows.

This isn't really the place to debate the difference between the two, though.
                  That would be a topic for fratching.

The OP asked for feedback on this company, and I offered it, based on my own experience with them.
                  Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
                  X