This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweaker at the ER

Why do I always get the ones that could go in two sections?

So I screwed up my shoulder today and had to go to the Emergency Room. Sapphire Silk drove me up there and sat with me. At one point they took me out to go get x-rays, but on the way they stopped to pick up another patient.

I could tell from the moment I saw him lying in the bed, bloody gauze wrapped around his finger and trailing everywhere in his lap as he constantly futzed with it. He was jittery and clearly tweaking on something. So they tell him he has to follow along and he's asking the nurse leading up if he has to have an x-ray, then breaks off on this weird almost stream of consciousness line of questions that he answers himself. When we get the x-ray waiting room, it is a little box of a room with three chairs against the left wall, two chairs against the back wall, and one of the wider two-seater chairs on the right wall. He goes in ahead of me and spends close to a minute looking back and forth between each of the chairs until finally he sort of nods to himself and falls into one of them.

He's bouncing like crazy, jittery as hell, sort of looking vacantly around and mumbling and talking to himself. Then he realizes I'm there and the fun begins.

He wants to know why I'm there. I hurt my shoulder. So I ask, What did he do?

He then proceeds to explain to me that he was trying to jump a fence into the lot of a rec center (at 9 o'clock at night). I couldn't catch the name of the place, but it has "an awesome track". He kept going on about how it was only a three foot high fence and caught his hand in the fence... in what I'm sure to him was excruciating detail but to me sounded like half-intelligible mumbles.

I get out of there, get my films, and then go back to my room, not seeing him again....

Until I get to the nearest 24-hour pharmacy to get my meds. Guess who shows up and wants to strike up the conversation again?

This time I hear that he'd been trying to make it to the rec center's back door, which was locked. Now alarms are going off in my head. Tweaked, trespassing, what else had he been intending? Sapphire Silk is sitting between us while we wait for the pharmacist to fill out prescription and looks pretty uncomfortable. He was creeping me out so I figured she was getting some of the vibe, too. Pharm calls my name and I get up to pick up my scrip and my phone buzzes.

It's a text from SS saying she thinks her Aspergers is kicking.

I about bust up laughing, but hold it together until we can get away. I have to reassure her that it wasn't her Aspergers that was making her feel weird around the guy, it was that "Uh-oh" feeling she's supposed to trust because he was creeping me out. If he was getting to her, that's a big indicator of just how creepy he was.

*OOC: The word "futzed" didn't get marked by the site as a misspelling. Huh.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

The site doesn't handle the spelling checks, your operating system's spellcheck library does. If your OS recognized futzed as a word, then it won't mark it as misspelled.

Futzed IS a word isn't it? I'm pretty sure it is.

Comment

Not long ago (March, I believe), I was in the ER with Mom. While waiting, we could hear the next couple of rooms over. Dude was having a serious trip, meth probably, but I can't be positive. It took 3 male doctors, all the male nurses, several female nurses and security to get him secured so that he didn't hurt himself or the staff. It got so bad that I had to close the door to Mom's room. Mom commented that she had always heard that 'trips' were supposed to be pleasant, and that if this is what drugs do to you nowadays, nobody should want to do them.

I had to chuckle, though. On my way out the door to grab the car, I passed by a young man inquiring about his 'friend he had dropped off for seizures'. It was so obvious that the dude tripping was his friend and it was also obvious that it wasn't seizures. Poor lady at the counter had to deal with him the best she could considering he wasn't family so he couldn't be allowed behind the secured door.

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
        Futzed IS a word isn't it? I'm pretty sure it is.
        It's a Yiddish word, and many Yiddish words have passed into standard American English.
        Quoth Luna Baby View Post
        Mom commented that she had always heard that 'trips' were supposed to be pleasant, and that if this is what drugs do to you nowadays, nobody should want to do them.
        You would think so, but people who use that garbage are severely lacking in self-preservation or basic common sense to begin with.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Yeah, right now I'm on hydrocodone and it makes me dopey so I can't get anything done. I don't like this woozy feeling. If I was experiencing it on a roller coaster I'd be loving it, but not sitting on my sofa. If I wasn't hurting so bad I'd skip the meds. I don't know why anyone would want to feel like this on purpose.

Comment

When I first read the thread title I read it as 'twerker'. Now I'm seeing an addict shaking his bum at everyone during your conversations.
            How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

For all those who read "twerker", I'll give you this little gem as an apology:

I believe I have found the first recorded instance of twerking in a major motion picture -- by John Travolta in the movie Michael! Check out time stamp 1:07 on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glz1OfXbc_0

Comment

My reply can be found on Fratching, at http://www.fratching.com/showthread.php?p=151826
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                  When I first read the thread title I read it as 'twerker'. Now I'm seeing an addict shaking his bum at everyone during your conversations.
                  I also read it as "twerker."

It actually reminded me of this little gem from Carols by Candlelight last year (Christmas "Special" of sorts where celebrities and the like come together and sing carols in a park where the public can watch and it gets broadcasted on TV. It's GLORIOUS).

Some guy was up onstage who had just finished his song and was doing a little conversation with (I think it was) Hi-5*. He then mentioned that he'd seen a few people "Twerking" and asked the other people onstage if they wanted to see him twerking. The Hi-5 group told him no, but in the background, you could see the CONDUCTOR turning around and waving "NO" frantically!

*-Children's entertainment group that consists of 3 girls and 2 boys. Is much more "poppy" than The Wiggles and very brightly coloured. They're also known for having a "revolving door" lineup of sorts. Unlike The Wiggles however, said Hi-5 members tend to fade into obscurity afterwards
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                    *-Children's entertainment group that consists of 3 girls and 2 boys. Is much more "poppy" than The Wiggles and very brightly coloured. They're also known for having a "revolving door" lineup of sorts. Unlike The Wiggles however, said Hi-5 members tend to fade into obscurity afterwards
                    I am torn between being amused and slightly horrified. When I was in the hospital, and talked to the nurses quite a bit, "HI-5" is one of the code terms they used when they had to warn each other a patient might be a HIV risk.

I think it was mentioned in the "Things I learn from my patients..." thread, too.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                    X