This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phlebotomy - You'll Be Doing It Wrong

Found this sign outside my local Wally World. So how hard can it be if it only requires a two day course to teach it?

As someone who is dyed-in-the-wool needle phobic, the thought of someone only having two days of training in sticking a needle in me is the stuff of nightmares.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

I suppose you can teach a 2 day course. I don't know if anyone would hire you. At my local hospital, there is a course you take at the community college then train at the hospital. It takes 4 months. But I have very few good veins left so I don't let the trainees touch me.

Comment

That's just. so. wrong.

Comment

When Rob did his shot training for EMT 1 it was 4 hours then training - but that was for basic IV setting. though I do admit he can give a hella comfy shot, when I get lazy I'll hand over the syringe and vial to him and tell him to pick a target =) I ended up being a shot training aid - he and some of his class were doing an ER rotation when I went in for a tetanus booster after stepping on something and cutting my foot, and he volunteered me so I ended up getting every vaccination the military has to offer [except rabies, and I got that one later after I started having farm animals.] It has been funny, because I still titre just fine for bubonic plague so I joke I would be safe falling through a time gate into the middle ages =)
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Should I ? Yes, I knew you would say yes.
          Should I ? Yes? OK, well, I guess we are in agreement then.

In the Army, Combat Lifesaver Course use to have a 1-day segment on starting IV catheters. I was trained to stick people and told that "neatness does not count in battle, but try and hit the vein". Oh forgot to mention, we practiced on each other.

One time, and I do not know how the soldier did this (he did not know either), somehow kinked the catheter tube 4 times. And because his "pin cushion" was also a soldier (soldiers do not show pain, Pain is weakness leaving the body, HOORA), he kept poking until the instructor came over to help. The instructor stopped the lesson and almost sent "PFC Pin Cushion" to the hospital. Luckily, no permanent damage was done.

By a miracle of God (only explanation), the Army did something smart and reasonable. They stopped teaching IV training, in favor of teaching more bleeding control. Still, part of me misses the days I could get paid to stab a coworker .
          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

When my dad first started his nurse training he practiced on my brother -- who was an adult quadraplegic and couldn't feel it anyway. I walked in on them once, my brother watching TV in his wheelchair while my dad jabbed at him with needles. Terrifying.

Comment

Well I now know Im not going 2 hours south to get blood drawn, thats for sure!

Comment

reminds me of a sign in the inner suburbs here, "Nurses Wanted" written, and a mobile number. No business/contact name, further info, anything... always thought it to be a little suss

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                  When my dad first started his nurse training he practiced on my brother -- who was an adult quadraplegic and couldn't feel it anyway. I walked in on them once, my brother watching TV in his wheelchair while my dad jabbed at him with needles. Terrifying.
                  I would have shit a brick if he'd been my student and I found out (disclaimer; I actually know EE's dad). You can do serious damage to someone if you don't know what you are doing (infection if nothing else). The equipment we give students to practice with is not actually sterile (keeps the costs down).

A couple of my students did this a year or so ago . . . and posted it on Facebook. I was quick to email them and demand they remove the picture. I pointed out a potential employer would demand access to their FB accounts, and that the picture would not be viewed favorably by said potential employer.

Pic went down quick.

Quoth prjkt View Post
                  reminds me of a sign in the inner suburbs here, "Nurses Wanted" written, and a mobile number. No business/contact name, further info, anything... always thought it to be a little suss
                  Yeah, that doesn't sound kosher. A legit employer would include the name of the company/facility and not use a cell phone number.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                    Yeah, that doesn't sound kosher. A legit employer would include the name of the company/facility and not use a cell phone number.
                    I'm going to look into it a little more, it's only a few blocks away from a fairly big hospital...

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                      That's because what they want them for has nothing to do with anything legitimate.

Can you say "Heeeeellllloooo Nurse!"?

Comment

Your going to hate this, but you can find phlebotomy classes online. As in your first stick is when you get hired and meet your first patient. For an eye opener look here,

http://www.phleb.com/

In the area I live in a lot of people through Red Cross are just getting started in their careers and you'd be dame sure I ask how long they've been sticking people. I've got small veins that like to roll and submerge. If your not certain you can get me, I will tell them to get someone else.

Comment

Working...
                        X