This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Flexible Spending Account

I haz one, for the first time. I believe it used to be that you submitted a claim by mail and then it would be payed out of that account. Now I have a card I swipe. Does anyone know if you're supposed to submit receipts or paperwork with every charge? I just had a charge that was deemed inelligible, and the letter I received stated why, but it also stated another reason: documentation wasn't submitted. I don't know if that means I was supposed to submit a paper claim or that the healthcare provider I was paying was supposed to. I'm sure it's in my paperwork, but unfortunately I accidently put things in the recycling I wasn't supposed to. So, does anyone else have an FSA with a credit/debit card attached? Show me the ropes? Thanks you.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Can't help you with the FSA, but I have an HSA and I don't need to submit anything, unless I want reimbursement.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

You'll probably have to call the number on the card. Each plan is different. I don't have to submit anything when I use the card, but I have a HSA. Maybe you used it for something that needs preapproval or isn't part of plan.

I had a claim reject at the pharmacy level and I didn't understand why. Called the number and they told me in less than a minute. Turns out the pharmacy got it wrong and tried to put my mom's meds on it, even though I asked for separate bills and explained why it had to be separate *sigh*

Comment

My card won't get declined if the expense isn't elligible. It will just go through and I'll find out later I have to pay it back. Of course, if I had the money, I wouldn't be using my FSA. I spent 25 minutes on the phone and didn't get an answer. Given the way my company is, I'm not surprised.

Comment

That bites maybe they have less staff because of the Easter holidays? Most insurance companies are closed today where I am.

And even if you have the money, always use whatever you have access to I'm using mine whenever I can lol

Comment

It's not part of my health insurance package; I have private insurance. It's part of my benefit package at work. The customer service is as unhelpful as the line I call at work when I'm doing returns or whatever. At least this one isn't in a foreign country.
            Last edited by Food Lady; 04-21-2014, 10:26 PM.

Comment

^ Thank you. I knew I needed to keep receipts for tax purposes, but wasn't sure otherwise. I'll see if I can get 2 copies if each receipt. As soon as I get my password I'll check out the site and print the list of elligible uses.

Comment

I want to update. I sent a check to pay for the unauthorized charge and got it back with a letter stating it was valid. I don't get it, but whatever.

Comment

My company just switched the administrator for our FSAs and issued us a debit card. I haven't used it yet, but I believe, if I recall, they can request documentation if they need to question the charge. Also, my plan requires that even if its an OTC med, I need to have a prescription for it to be a valid expense. Interesting. Although not an issue since my allergy meds don't cost much, and I'll use the FSA for my prescription inhalers.

Comment

Working...
                  X