This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSAIDS and HBP meds

Can any of our wonderful medical-type-people point me to some external info on combining NSAIDS (here, Advil) and HBP meds such as Lisinopril/HCTZ? The doc who prescribed the latter recommended against the former, but I am supposed to be taking a heavy dosage of Advil (800mg/2x a day or just spread out as 400mg/4x a day depending on severity of pain) because of a recently-discovered tooth abcess that I'm gonna need surgery to deal with (also giving me Penicillin).

In other words, where can I find info on to what degree it's safe to combine them?
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Consult your pharmacist.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Will do -- I have a new script to pick up anyway (Penicillin). My docs (have moved since I was first diagnosed with HBP) have only said that it's better not to mix them, but not WHY and at what point I should favor one over the other. I am erring toward the side of caution and keeping the HBP meds on their usual dosage until I hear otherwise, no worries
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

I'm on Ramipril HCTZ any have been told to avoid taking advil, take tylenol if I need to because it's hard on my kidneys. I have polycystic kidneys and the HBP is hard on them as it is so it'd be more fuel in the fire for me. Lucky for me I rarely even take tylenol.

Comment

If told conflicting information from a doctor and a pharmacist, I'll follow the pharmacist's advice. The pharmacists is focused on medications.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Got a pharmacist who knew his stuff. Dude gave me more useful info about the interactions in two minutes than 3 doctors have in four years...
            Last edited by EricKei; 05-10-2014, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Good to hear! There really is no one better to talk to than a pharmacist when it comes to medications; you'd be amazed at what they really know about how the human body works.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                Good to hear! There really is no one better to talk to than a pharmacist when it comes to medications; you'd be amazed at what they really know about how the human body works.
                Doubling down on this. One of my gaming buddies is a pharmacist, and I can barely believe some of his stories about the things doctors prescribe without realizing what the medications will do when they interact. He probably saves a life or two a week by pointing out issues, though to be fair, some may be the patients not telling the doctor what they're already on.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Late to the party but, I've been on BP meds and Naproxen (500mg twice a day) together for years. They do blood work once in a while to check my liver, but so far no problems. I can't do the Lisinopril though, coughs me to death.

Comment

patio - Talk to a pharmacist. It worked for me ^_^ All anyone told me prior to this was "avoid" NSAIDS (advil & aleve are NSAIDS, but tylenol is not) when on HBP meds when possible.

In my case, the advil is temporary, until I get my tooth/jaw worked on. I would have used Tylenol, but I had chronic headaches as a teen and I'm basically immune to the stuff due to taking lots of it over the years.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                      Doubling down on this. One of my gaming buddies is a pharmacist, and I can barely believe some of his stories about the things doctors prescribe without realizing what the medications will do when they interact.
                      Heh. Shalom would hit the roof: I take Tramadol + Duloxetine (Cymbalta) + Edronax.

In the wrong combination/person/dosage/whatever, Tramadol + some psychoactives cause a thing called 'Serotonin Syndrome'. Just to make things worse: I have a first-order relative (full brother) who has actually had an SS episode.
                      He went into seizures and was taken to the ER, but recovered fully. Apparently one can die of it.

On the plus side, we're weaning me off the Tramadol and onto Lyrica instead (which, I am told, synergises nicely with Cymbalta in fibro patients).

(And yes, I know Lyrica has its problems too. But meh, everything does.)
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I am only allowed Tylenol due to my meds. But as always please follow the advice of a professional!
                        ''Sugar cane and coffee cups, copper, steel, and cattle. An annotated history the forest for the fire. Where we propagate confusion primitive and wild. Welcome to the occupation''

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                          Considering that I was prescribed HCTZ yesterday for the first time I'm glad this thread was posted! My doc never did tell me what I could take for pain *grumbles*
                          Always consult with a pharmacist. Don't rely on what's said in this thread. Medication interactions are too important to rely on anonymous sources.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                            Always consult with a pharmacist. Don't rely on what's said in this thread. Medication interactions are too important to rely on anonymous sources.
                            Not to mention that medications can and will interact with body conditions you have. For instance, one wonderful painkiller is a blood thinner. One can mess up your stomach. One can futz with your liver. Now, if you've got a healthy blood supply/stomach/liver, these are no problem - but if you don't, you'll be glad you talked to your pharmacist!

So yeah. You don't just want to ask about how a new med interacts with your other medications, but how they interact with your body.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                              I know, but I didn't even think to ask...and this thread is what reminded me that I needed to do that. Sometimes my brain needs a push in the right direction...
                              No worries. I just want to make sure we don't break CS rules

Comment

Working...
                              X