This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky NON Customer

I work in a drugstore. We are open every night until 10pm. EVERY night, EVERY single day of the year.

Okay I get that it's Christmas Eve. And yes, it's a small town, so there's not a lot of options. Walmart closed at 8pm. I get that. We locked our doors at 10pm, but we're reasonable. If someone comes up a few minutes past and needs medicine, yeah I'm gonna let them in.

But not this "lady"!!! It was about 10:15pm, we're finishing ringing up the absolute last customer in the store. We still have to clean up, close the tills out, and oh... I don't know GO HOME????? Silly me, why would I want to do that?

She starts banging on the door. I say "Closed!". She says "I just need ONE thing .... it's RIGHT THERE" and points to the display of Russell Stover candy. Ummmm NO. Russell Stover candy is neither medicine nor an emergency. You're not getting in. She's starts yelling "it's only ONE THINGGGGGGG" I shake my head and say "Closed".

Now this was all sucky enough, right? But it gets better/worse? She waits out in her car for the 30 minutes it takes us to do what we need to do and leave the store. Then she jumps out and starts screaming again. My manager (who's a big body-building guy) finally got in her face and told her to leave or he was calling the police. I honestly don't think she would have backed down if he hadn't been as large and intimidating as he was.

Sheesh!

Repeat after me, folks: "A lack of planning on your part..."

Kudos to your boss!

Comment

Odds are there's a 24 hour pharmacy in the area, anyway. I can think of 2 within ten minutes drive of where I live.

Oh, but then she would be inconvenienced for having to drive somewhere else.

Comment

Maybe not, I know a few "Smallish" towns (7-10 thousand people) and they have a Walmart. But nothing is open except for the main section of Walmart, and a gas station.

My guess is that Teefies2 works in that type of town. (Heck, I consider myself lucky to have a '24' "Loves" convenient store in my town.)
        I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Good for your manager!
          I've dealt with these closed-door-buster types many times. They ALWAYS say, "I only need one thing." Trust me. It's NEVER just one thing.

Comment

Quoth SixFortyK View Post
            They ALWAYS say, "I only need one thing." Trust me. It's NEVER just one thing.
            And it's never quick. They mosey around the store, taking their sweet time, looking at every little thing in minute detail. Meanwhile, the clock is ticking, you need to count down the tills and clean the store, and this oblivious jerk is still ambling around in la-la land, their "I only need one thing, I'll be quick" is turning into an hour...
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Christmas is the same time EVERY YEAR!! There is no excuse for that.
              I no longer fear HELL.
              I work in RETAIL.

Comment

When I used to work at Awful-mart (this was back when they closed at 6 on Christmas Eve), I would close with a manager who would ALWAYS fall for the 'I just need one thing'. It would be close to 830 by the time we finally get everything finished and got out of there.

Comment

Years ago when I'd close Christmas Eve, there would always be people strolling in five minutes before close, grabbing a shopping cart, and browsing like they had all day to shop. After finally chasing them out and completing our very thorough sweep of the store for anybody still in the store, it would be close to an hour after close when we'd finally leave.

Oh, and there were the people dashing in wanting the hot toy of the year we'd been sold out of for weeks. It was always fun shooting their hopes down.

This year we were only fifteen minutes after close getting out. No last-second shoppers, but the phone did beep over the PA after the doors closed. Probably somebody seeing if we were still open. It was craziness until 3 in the afternoon though. I spent close to an hour at the registers bagging.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I got to ruin Christmas for several people who decided that 5:20pm on Christmas Eve was the perfect time to get all the wine and liquor they needed for the next evening. Even with lights out and the "OPEN" sign turned off, no less than four customers came up and banged on the door, and then one even tried to run up to the door and get in when I opened it to let one of my cashiers out!!! My manager was answering the phone with "Small Town liquor store. Its after 5pm, we're closed." because it was ringing off the hook with people wanting to know if we were still open.

This was aside from more than 15 people who were astounded, I say ASTOUNDED that we were out of seasonal cordials, hard egg nog, apple pie and pumpkin pie liqueurs, etc when we'd been out of these things since the first week of December. Our distributors only allocate just so much for us, and that's all we get. We can't order more. Last year I learned to let people know that if they wanted to get something (seasonal stuff arrives just before Thanksgiving) to get it then, because come Dec, its gone and not coming back!
                    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

"But, can't I just get one thing!?"

The responses from all of us (some slightly NSFW parts):
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eal4fep7pK4
                      "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                      "What IS fun to fight through?"
                      "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                        Maybe not, I know a few "Smallish" towns (7-10 thousand people) and they have a Walmart. But nothing is open except for the main section of Walmart, and a gas station.

My guess is that Teefies2 works in that type of town. (Heck, I consider myself lucky to have a '24' "Loves" convenient store in my town.)
                        Exactly. Even the brand new grocery store that opened at Thanksgiving and provided jobs to a whole bunch of people was closed!. As I drove to work today (Christmas Day), the only things open within our town were one gas station, my drugstore, and the competitor's drugstore. The competitor closed at 6, we were open until 10. Fortunately, it appears that most people either got up way early this morning or partied too hardy, because we were basically dead after 8pm. Thank you deities!

And the fun begins again in the morning ... return day!!!!!

I hope everyone had a good holiday, if you got one, and if you didn't get one, here's to a day (or two) off later in the week!

Comment

It never occurred to these people to try a 24hr gas station or something? Granted the selection would be limited, and you pay extra for the convenience. But still...

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                            It never occurred to these people to try a 24hr gas station or something? Granted the selection would be limited, and you pay extra for the convenience. But still...
                            I mean, if she wants a box of Russel Stover that bad, she can't be that picky ...

Comment

My favorite is the ones who call in while doing that very last minute shopping because their card was declined. "WHY IS MY CARD DECLINING??? I PAY SO MUCH MONEY BLAH BLAH BLAH!"

Yeah....you haven't paid any money as of late because your account is past due. Sorry.....not really....
                              "My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the hell she is." - Ellen DeGeneres

Comment

Working...
                              X