This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How last minute can you?

Our gift cards at The Resort apparently make great last-minute Christmas gifts, as was evidenced by the amount of orders I processed yesterday on the day before the holiday. While we can't teleport the physical gift cards to customers (yet), we can type up a nice little note and email it to the sender so they can print it out and present it to the giftee in lieu of the physical card.

Coworker had already taken an order in the morning that was direly needed that same afternoon. I figured that was cutting it pretty close. But someone could cut it even closer.

I had already explained the note we can email and taken the order. It was after 8pm, so it was just me on shift, and twice I'd put this caller on hold so I could go answer my other lines and get them on hold. We were just finishing up the order.

Customer: "So, this email will be coming tonight?"
    Me: "Yes, I will send it as soon as I can."
    Customer: "How soon will it be?"
    Me: "It should be done within an hour."
    Customer: "Well, you see....I was wondering if you could send it maybe within the next ten minutes? I need to get it printed right away because we're doing gifts at the dinner party in like half an hour. It's for my husband!"
    Me: *eyeing the blinky lights on my phone* "I can't promise anything but I'll get it done as soon as I can."
    Customer: "Could you? You don't even need to make the gift card just get the note sent as soon as possible! I NEED it right now!"
    Me: "As I said, I'll do it as soon as I can."

Fortunately for this customer, the other callers just wanted to verify the restaurant was still open, so I was able to get her gift note emailed almost immediately.

Just wait a little longer next time, why don't you? Or write the damn gift note yourself; you don't have to work for Hallmark to do that sort of thing you know (I literally just type it up in Word with pretty fonts and pictures and send it out).
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Not only that, but even when you send out the email, there's no guarantee the email will be received immediately.

Comment

I procrastinate too.

So much so that I am buying this years Christmas gifts in January, and giving them next Christmas.

That is our secret, by the way. So no telling people I still do that.
      I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
        I procrastinate too.
        Yeah, I'm a procrastinator too. But I'll tell you about that later.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Email delays

Quoth drjonah View Post
          Not only that, but even when you send out the email, there's no guarantee the email will be received immediately.
          One person I send emails to usually receives them in 5-10 minutes of me sending them (Yahoo Mail -> Bank Firewall -> Personal Computer). Yet for no reason that we can see sometimes an email gets delayed for up to an hour. And one time she did not see my reply until the following day.

Email is fast, but demanding less than ten minute delivery time is pushing it.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
            Yeah, I'm a procrastinator too. But I'll tell you about that later.
            I thought about procrastinating, but I haven't got around to it yet.
            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Wow, talk about poor planning. Next time just text him. "Hrs ur Xmas prsnt"
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

what surprised me? it wasn't a 'i didn't know i had to go to this christmas party and i now have to get the hostest a gift' thing it was her husband... dude you know who your husband is right?

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                  I thought about procrastinating, but I haven't got around to it yet.
                  I was going to type up my own witty comment, but then I saw that a Pawn Stars marathon was on. I'll type one up tomorrow.
                  my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
                  it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                    Yet for no reason that we can see sometimes an email gets delayed for up to an hour.
                    There is one likely explanation: Some of the possible SMTP failure reasons are "transient". They result in the sending server trying again later. A common time delay for a retry is one hour.

Comment

Working...
                    X