X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my deepest condolences...

To anyone who is working right now.
    "My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the hell she is." - Ellen DeGeneres

its ok, been here since 19:00 will be here till 07:15, gotta keep the planes filying and goods moving.
    This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
    my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

I have never worked New Years Day. The one year where my shift fell on New Years Day, I managed to get off due to illness. However, being stuck at home with swine flu can't have been much worse than having to work in a poundshop on New Years Day.

Comment

I'm working today.

More of a problem for me that it's 10 Teves, rather than that it's 1 January; it's a fast day in the Jewish calendar, and I won't be able to eat or drink until sunset tonight. Fortunately this time of the year that's relatively early.

(Truth is, I could use the money. I probably could have gotten off if I'd tried.)

Comment

In a few minutes I'll get dressed and head in. Generally in the news business New Years Day is fairly easy.

Our union deal is odd. If I work today I either get premium pay or another day off. If I take it off I have to burn a vacation day and I get nothing for it.

SO of course we are full staff today, which tends to make it easy. Especially because the reporters have a different deal so many of them take off, making it light duty for the shooters.
          "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

Yesterday was organized chaos at the desk. Hotel was sold out, restaurants were fully booked, and the big NYE party in the ballroom was at max capacity. People were generally in good spirits, though, so it wasn't too bad, just insanely busy.

This morning I get to check them all out. Last year was a huge billing fiasco with everyone at the party getting double-billed, so here's crossing my fingers hoping this year goes significantly more smoothly. People last year were double and triple billed, or weren't billed at all, and we were trying to sift through receipts from the restaurants trying to sort things out...it got to the point where if a guest told me they spend "about $40 on drinks" I'd go hey, that sounds good, we'll just charge you $40 for drinks then 'cause there was just no way to sort it out in anything resembling a timely manner. It took accounting days working on those receipts and I don't think they ever fully untangled the mess. I don't know how the servers and/or the system did it, but it was completely f**ked. We have a new system this year so I am *hoping* I'm not about to walk into a mess.

We do have a group checking in this afternoon. They called yesterday seeing if they could get an early check in for today. Hah. Ahahaha. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! They didn't like my answer and said they'd call back this morning. I'm giving them the same answer.
            Last edited by bhskittykatt; 01-01-2015, 02:40 PM.
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I'm working today, but New Year's isn't exactly a big day for a run to the grocery store, and its time & a half pay, so I'm not complaining.

Comment

I go in to work in a couple hours.

It kinda sucks that I ended up working every holiday this holiday season. But I do get holiday pay for today, and as far as the swamp is concerned, generally all is quiet on New Years Day.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I worked today but it's my own business.

The wife was also in work, she works in retail and said that generally it was very quiet.
                  Robert
                  Peterborough Cambridgeshire

Comment

Off today, store's closed.

I got the option to leave early yesterday, and took it so I could handle running a few errands. This was a good call, since by 2pm, the stupid was already strong in traffic. I don't think they were drunk yet, just even worse drivers than normal for here.
                    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I've just got home from a 9hr shift, but the store was really quiet, and all the customers I dealt with were fine

Comment

I'm working today, not that I mind.

Because it's New Years Day, and it's a federal holiday, meaning only essential personnel are in today. I expect that I should be able to count the number of calls I get today on one hand.
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Yeah it was dead at the Dollar Admiral today. We were open an hour before we even got our first customer. I expect my store will get a rush later because Ohio State plays at 830 tonight so people will run over to get their football snacks before the game.

Comment

http://retailcomic.com/comics/january-1-2015/

For all of you
                            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I was working this morning (by choice since we get to pick our holiday hours this time of year) but worked last evening (not by choice). It wasn't so bad. Kinda steady but not so bad. I actually managed to get some work done today. Though I would've rather have been home napping.
                              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X