Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When driving through contruction you SQUIRREL! er, Moose!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When driving through contruction you SQUIRREL! er, Moose!

We have moose around here with special powers, mind control powers, that cause people around them to simultaneously forget driving and safety rules, and become uncontrollably enthusiastic photographers. Today I saw their king.

In the last year here I have seen deer, bears, foxes, wolves, a brindle boxer, bald eagles, blue jays, a cougar, salamanders, el caminos, snakes, and some breathtaking scenery, all more photogenic than moose. Still somehow without fail, if you go around the blind corner of a narrow 80km/h road and find seven cars pulled 1/2 over with the people who are supposed to be driving nearby taking photos, you can bet the farm, there will be a moose nearby.

Leaving town to the south there is a number of bridges which are being rebuilt, so they are all down to one lane, with stoplights at each end. As I approach I get the yellow, so I stop. As the other side gets the green they proceed through, with the lead car stopping in the middle of the bridge. With the 4 cars behind sitting stuck on the one lane bridge, with concrete barriers on both side and nowhere to go. The car sits there, while my light goes through green, yellow, red. As my light gets to green again the couple gets out of the car, heads to the side, and starts taking pictures. I look over, and sure enough, there is the moose, eating swamp plants and controlling minds. As the cars stuck on the bridge and the cars behind me start honking, the wife waves everyone off, as if they are somehow being a nuisance. As my light continues through three cycles green, yellow, red, I notice the man in the second car back get out of his car, and he walks over and murders the couple with a hammer. No, really, he starts taking pictures of this moose too. As if this is what we are meant to be doing right now. This particular moose was that good.

I gave up, U-turn, and decide to drive north for a bit, before turning south. I returned to town about 9 hours later, and everyone had moved on, so I assume people stood there taking pictures until the light gave out, then carried on with their lives.

Bonus Entitled Lady, No Moose Involved

When you are finally at the head of the line, and there are six other people waiting in line behind you, after your purchases are rung up you go 'Oh, I need to get a gift card for Tony' and meander off, everyone in line is silently hating you. When you return minutes later, your gift card is rung up, and then you go 'Oh, shit, I really should get Amy one too', and wander off again, that glance the ten total strangers now in line behind you exchanged was us telepathically planning to lynch you, just FYI. By the time you got back again the plan was pretty detailed, we had steps, maps and code words, all communicated mentally, that's how much we were hating you at that moment. DON"T DO THAT AGAIN!
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
    I notice the man in the second car back get out of his car, and he walks over and murders the couple with a hammer.
    That's what I would have felt like doing, too. Without knowing where you are geographically, I have to say these stories remind me of what my step-brother says Montana is like. His in-laws live there, so I've always taken the stories with a grain of salt because instead of a nice vacation someplace warm, he's forced to spend weeks on a working farm. Heh.

Anyway, he says everything goes really slow there, and that getting coffee makes him want to die because everyone knows everyone and they chat for 10 (he has timed it before) before even taking the order. Around here, an angry mob would have thrown that couple off the bridge, and Gift Card Person would not have been telepathically told off. Well, probably you would have been for not suspending the transaction, because no one here can properly assign blame.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

This particular moose was that good.
      Am literally lol, thanks. They ARE stunning, but hey, social contract on driving trumps that ANY day.

btw, what's an el camino, besides the car?

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
        ...btw, what's an el camino, besides the car?
        A road.

Sometimes Real.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I was watching "Alaska State Troopers". They had a "bait Moose" to catch people hunting from the road.

They also had a problem with people stopping to take pictures of the fake Moose.

So, my plan would be set-up a "bait Moose" and ticket people people breaking the law when taking pictures of Moose.
          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
            I was watching "Alaska State Troopers". They had a "bait Moose" to catch people hunting from the road. .
            Operation Moose Decoy

The thing is so old and ratty by now it doesn't look much like a moose anymore if you see it up close... especially when you see the 2x4s that it uses for legs, but from 50 yards, it's pretty realistic.

Comment

Gilhelmi - So even fake moose have mind control powers ... freaky.

sms001 - The el caminos were cars, I just included them in the list because I saw three parked in a row in front of the bank this summer, and stopped to take a picture - as a pedestrian, from the safety of the sidewalk.

And where I leave is exactly not like Montana, except in the sense that there is a whole lot of not very many people for how much square footage there is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosseau
              This isn't the town I live in, but it is close to mine, both geographically and in size/style, so it gives you an idea of where I live.
              Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                Operation Moose Decoy

The thing is so old and ratty by now it doesn't look much like a moose anymore if you see it up close... especially when you see the 2x4s that it uses for legs, but from 50 yards, it's pretty realistic.
                Ah yes, that is the one. It is a good episode.
                I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Going by the title of your post, I have to assume that the couple in the first car were named Boris and Natasha, and they felt they had finally caught their targets.

The guy in the second car was Glorious Leader, who was taking pictures to verify their capture.

Comment

Too bad the guy behind the "stop in the middle of the travelled lane to take pictures" couple wasn't Pete. Stopped car WILL move - gas or diesel?
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Yeesh, there should be an officer in the area JUST to fine people that do that. There'd be enough money to supply the force for years!
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

We have moose around here with special powers, mind control powers, that cause people around them to simultaneously forget driving and safety rules, and become uncontrollably enthusiastic photographers. Today I saw their king.
                        But...are they majestik møøse? Did one ever bite your sister while she was karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies?

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        A road.

Sometimes Real.
                        And I can guarantee you that there are no moose on it. Not that I noticed last time I was out on the Paseo del Bosque Trail anyways.
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                        X