This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former neighbor

This one isn't a sighting so much as a hearing. I just remembered it today. I call it a "hearing" because my mother told me about it.

As the heading shows, this story concerns a former neighbor. She was not a popular neighbor, even before her son started vandalizing mailboxes up and down the street. She had quite the "special snowflake" attitude concerning herself and her offspring.

So. This woman, whom I will refer to as Elizabeth, had some kind of medical condition. I don't remember what it was, but her doctor told her VERY clearly that she was not to have any massages, because if she did, it might cause a stroke.

So, I'm sure you can guess what she went out and did. After all, why should she be bound by anyone else's rules, including the doctor's?

And she had a stroke.

So what did she do? Given that the doctor told her not to have a massage, and she promptly ignored his advice and had one anyone, which then resulted in a stroke, what would make sense to do?

She sued the massage therapist.

No, she did not tell the massage therapist about her medical condition. The therapist had no way of knowing. And Elizabeth sued her anyway.

I don't remember the outcome of the lawsuit, but I hope that bitch was laughed out of court.

Not only that, but be forced to reimburse the massage therapest her legal bills, lost wages and wasted time!

I wish they'd do that in the US, I really think it would cut down on frivolous lawsuits if you were forced to pay the other side's legal fees.

Comment

How on Earth could a massage cause a stroke?

Comment

I'm imagining existing blood clot, massage causes it to move, lodges in brain. Caveat: I just made that up, I have no idea if it's right in any way.
        Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
          I'm imagining existing blood clot, massage causes it to move, lodges in brain. Caveat: I just made that up, I have no idea if it's right in any way.
          That is correct.

Comment

^

It loosens up the clot(s), which allows it to travel through the blood stream.

Comment

Obviously, the stroke didn't affect her mind since she had the strength to sue.

Comment

And if it doesn't lodge in the brain, it'll lodge in either the heart or the lung.

I'm actually surprised she didn't sue the doctor too. That was what I was expecting to see, given what I've heard in the level of stupid during my repeated stints at jury duty.
                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                  How on Earth could a massage cause a stroke?
                  Dislodge a clot in the carotid, subclavian, or femoral arteries and it can wander around and cause all kinds of damage. She's lucky to be alive.

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                  Obviously, the stroke didn't affect her mind since she had the strength to sue.
                  Clearly, that part of the brain isn't what was affected. Many strokes affect movement centers; there is loss of function as opposed to mental functioning.

She won't win. To win she has to prove that a duty exists, that the duty was breeched, and that harm was the result. She can't prove the duty was breeched if she didn't convey important information to her massage therapist.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

This was many years ago, and I never did find out the result. It might have been that she was convinced to drop the suit altogether, once her lawyer stopped laughing long enough to explain a few things to her about responsibility. She was a real piece of work, that woman. I did a quick Internet search for her and came up with nothing, but I didn't look very hard. I imagine she's still making lives miserable, wherever she is.

Comment

Or she got another massage which finished the job...

Comment

Working...
                      X