This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My foot wedged in my mouth

A co-worker (not an employee, but a contract worker who comes in every other week) came in today to tell payroll that her last name had changed.
    I exclaimed happily 'Oh, I didn't know you had gotten married! When was the big day?'
    She looked at me for a second, trying hard not show her tears 'The divorce is final.' before sadly walking out.

Oops. I feel like an asshole today.
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

In your defense I know a lot of people who got divorced then went out celebrating. Hell a couple of them even threw a divorce party.

Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

My first thought would have been that she got married, too. I've known plenty of divorced women who kept their married name simply because it was too expensive to change it back. In fact, despite my grandmother absolutely despising my grandfather, 30+ years later she still has his last name.
      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
        In your defense I know a lot of people who got divorced then went out celebrating. Hell a couple of them even threw a divorce party.

I've heard of some stories of women going on what's been described as a "divorce diet". They get divorced, then diet/exercise to lose weight. Likely to attract another partner/spouse...
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

mjr, sometimes the divorce diet isn't deliberate. I left a long term live in relationship with a guy who was very controlling. He didn't like to eat healthy, so I had to cook what he liked. He didn't like me to stop and work out on my way home because he wanted to be with me. Long story and rather shameful on my part that I let it go on for so long.

One day, I broke down crying at a job I hated and said f***it. I found a new job much closer to family and friends, left him and moved in with a friend until I could get a place of my own.

I also changed how I presented myself to the world. I pretended to be confident and outgoing until I WAS confident and outgoing. I ate healthy. I started kickboxing after work again. Of course, I lost weight. I tossed out all of the clothes that he liked and bought what I liked. I changed my make up and hair.

I was at the top of my game and 6 months later, I did meet the man I've been married to for over 30 years.

To recap, I didn't make those changes to get another SO. I made them to make me happy. People are attracted to confident and happy people. I was attracted to one of them. It was never planned.

Comment

Been there, done that, Necessary. In my first full-time journalism job, I called one household to talk to an elderly man (I don't remember the story details). His wife answered.

Me: "Hi, can I speak to Mr. X?"

Her: "Oh, my dear, my husband died six months ago."

I apologized profusely, but she was very kind about it ("You couldn't have known, dear.") Which, of course, only made me feel worse, even though it was quite true, especially since I'd only been in town for a month or two.
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

With a bouquet of Four Roses? Cookies for reference.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

At least one of those parties had a wedding cake with the groom inserted head down.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                X