This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Abs Are Not Legs!"

This was told to me by my middle younger brother [MYB]. He is a certified personal trainer and works at a health club.

One of the customers complained to him because the only available leg curl machine didn't have a seat belt, which is to help keep you from arching your back while on the machine.

MYB politely told him that he would definitely make a note of that and then, since the machines with seat belts were in use, told him he could use the muscles in his abs to keep his back straight while using the machine.

Instead of taking the advice or waiting for a machine with a seatbelt to become free the guy sarcastically said to MYB, like he was addressing a child:

"This [pointing at the leg curl machine] is for my legs, that [pointing at the ab machine] is for abs. When I want to excercise my abs I go *there* not *here.* Get this thing fixed."

And then he stormed away.

MYB was professional enough not to ask him if he needed a separate machine for his brain.

But seriously, who thinks that all other muscles just cease to work when you exercise one group? You'd be lying there in a heap. Does he think your heart stops beating if you're not doing cardio?

Dum dum.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Hell, I'd have been like 'Bonus! Now I don't have to do an ab machine as well!'

What a mentard.
    Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

What an idiot. You're supposed to tighten your abs on any machine you do. Gives you more stability and an extra ab workout. I have a personal trainer and every time on every machine the first thing out of her mouth is "are you pulling in your abs?"

Comment

Unless your back is particularly weak, you're probably better off using your abs instead of relying on the seatbelt, anyway...
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I've never seen a leg curl machine with a seatbelt. Heck, I've never seen any gym machine with a seatbelt. The attitude here is: if you're not holding your body in proper position to do the exercise, you're doing it wrong.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I can only picture what my cross-country and track coach would say, he always had a sense of humor and was fond of making it known.
            The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I also have never seen a piece of gym equipment with a seatbelt. And yes, as previously stated, when doing any work out, you're supposed to bring your navel to your spine (contract your abs) so you keep a proper posture. Otherwise dead lifting would snap your back!
              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

And slightly clenching your abs as you go about your daily life keeps you in the perfect posture.

Ah well, rest assured in the knowledge that if he won't clench his abs he's just not getting the benefit of the exercise and will eventually hurt something.
                Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post
                  And slightly clenching your abs as you go about your daily life keeps you in the perfect posture.
                  That explains the many people I see who appear to be constipated.

Raspcallion

Comment

You are suppose to tighten the abs, when you work out. And just like everyone else, I have never seen a seatbelt with any work-out machine
                    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I've seen seat belts on workout equipment. It's usually for the beginner classes.
                      What's really weird is seeing a seat belt on an exercise ball. What's the point in that?
                      Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Quoth Knightmare View Post
                        What's really weird is seeing a seat belt on an exercise ball. What's the point in that?
                        On an exercise ball?

Maybe that's so you can wear it on your butt and achieve that coveted "bubble" shape?
                        The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
                          Maybe that's so you can wear it on your butt and achieve that coveted "bubble" shape?
                          My butt's shape is coveted?

By people to have attached to their own bodies, and not by guys who like chicks with butts like that?
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Knightmare View Post
                            I thought the seat belt on there was to hold them on while you rolled the ball into traffic!
                            "Chaos in the midst of chaos isn't funny, but chaos in the midst of order is." - Steve Martin

Comment

Working...
                            X