This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this mysterious "Only"?

Ok, reaching back in time here. I know at some point, during my lurking around days, I saw posts from some Directory Assistance folks. It’s been a lot of years since I was an “information” operator. Let me say off the bat, why Ma Bell ever let that particular phrase be coined I will never understand. But that’s another rant all together. This one is about one particular type of call, one that still to this day makes me want to slap someone… hard… repeatedly. Any operators still out there, and want to tell me if this still happens on a regular daily basis? (I’d bet my lunch it does.)

A few basic facts about how the system worked, at least back then, and this was over 16 yrs ago. At that time the office I was in covered two Texas area codes, stretching from the most western point, up over the entire Panhandle, and down across the Basin and into the edge of the Hill Country. Plus we picked up a third just before I left. For the most of my time there we used a particular system that showed us which of the two area codes that the customer was calling from or if they were outside all together. But that was all, it didn’t tell us what city. That changed before I left, but for the longest time that was all we got shown on our screens. Hence, when you called us you were always asked “what city.”

This particular type of call happened daily, generally at least 3-4 times a day, and typically went something like this:

DD: stunning young operator (hey, I can dream) with a fantastic phone voice (that part is true)
    IC: Idiot Customer, of all of shapes, sizes, orientation, it didn’t matter, crossed all boundaries

DD: SWB, this is Summer, what city please?
    IC: Bumptphukt. (this is when they were cooperative at first, of course some people always had to act like you were stupid because you didn’t know where “here” was)
    DD: Yes sir/mam, what listing?
    IC: I need David Jones.
    DD: (checking quickly) I’m sorry, in Bumptphukt, I don’t have a David Jones. There is Mark, Tony or Mary. Do you have an address?
    IC: Naw, it’s over by Dairy Queen. Do you have Gary?
    DD: Under Jones, sir/mam? I’m sorry, checking in Bumptphukt I only have Mark, Tony or Mary Jones. Do you know the street it would be on?
    IC: How about Eric, do you have Eric?
    DD: No, I’m sorry, checking the name Jones, J-O-N-E-S, in Bumptphukt, I ONLY have Mark, Tony or Mary.

::rinse, repeat, ad nauseam::

You could look around the office and tell when someone had one of these calls. Fingers clenched on the sides of monitors, as if we could somehow try to physically crawl through the lines and wrap our fingers around their throats and make them LISTEN and COMPREHEND the word ONLY.

After seven years, I left that job truly amazed that we have not blown up this planet, not because of hate or anger, but just because of stupidity.

Guild Wars- Ravynn Darkshine, Drasnian Silk
    MySpace- PhantasmBastion

I hear you and feel your pain. Some people cannot get it through their heads that some people have private numbers...

Comment

Quoth kathyhansen View Post
      I hear you and feel your pain. Some people cannot get it through their heads that some people have private numbers...
      He is the reason why people get private numbers.
      How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Ugh! The ONLY people! Proof positive that customers don't listen to the retail/service employees when they don't hear what they want to hear. I had two of those conversations yesterday. It's funny the patterns that follow one customer to the next. I don't know why I didn't notice them sooner, but it seems like I can have the same conversation several times a day, varying only the subject matter (and sometimes not even that).

Me: All of our microphones are right here, sir.
        Customer: Hmmm... Those are a little bit too big for what I need. Do you have anything smaller?
        Me: No. These are the only microphones we sell here.
        Customer: What about in Home Theater? Are there microphones there?
        Me: No. This is the only place in the store that we stock microphones. These are the only microphones we sell.
        Customer: 'Cause what I'm looking for is a really small mic I can use to record phone calls. Like a lapel mic or one of those phone mic things. Do you have any of those?
        Me: No. These are the ONLY microphones I have. None of them are that small. You might want to try (nearby store).
        Customer: So you don't even have lapel mics?
        Me: No.
        Customer...
        Me...
        Customer: Well maybe I'll try the cell phone department and see if they have mics there.
        Me: Have a good day, sir.

And then...

Customer: I'm looking for this HP laptop. (shows me a two-week old printout from our website)
        Me: I'm sorry, that one's sold out.
        Customer: Oh. Do you have any other HPs?
        Me: Yes, I have these three.
        Customer: Oh. Is that all? Don't you have any more HPs?
        Me: No. HP is in a model number transition right now. Their current stuff is close-out, and the new stuff hasn't arrived yet. These three are all I have.
        Customer: Well, I want an HP laptop because (ramble ramble ramble). So what do you have from HP?
        Me: The only HP laptops I have available right now are these three.
        Customer: You don't have any others?
        Me: Not right now. I will next week when our next shipment comes in with the new models.
        Customer: Next week? But I need it now!
        Me: Then I have these three to offer you.
        Customer: Don't you have this one? (again with the printout)
        Me: Nope. Just these three.
        Customer... Fine. I guess I'll go elsewhere. I can't believe you only sell three HP laptops! (Hey, at least she finally understood part of what I was saying!)
        I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
        - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
        - IPF

Comment

Used to be a call center CSR and yep I had variations of this same conversation every day over and over and over. Usually went like this:

Me: greeting blahblahblah
          CS: How much are roaming rates in *random foreign country*
          Me: $2.99/min
          CS: Well that's ridiculous! I need a cheaper rate! waaaaaaaah
          Me: I do apologize but those are the only rates we have.
          CS: Well I know I can get the phone unlocked and use another SIM but I don't want to fool with that. Don't you have a plan or something to make this cheaper? Those rates are ridiculous.
          Me: Again, this is the ONLY rate we have.
          CS: So there's no way to make it cheaper. There must be a way. Don't you have a cheaper rate? All I'm trying to do is use my phone while I'm overseas and not have it cost too much.
          Me: *starting to pull hair out* : Sir I do understand what you're trying to do. Unfortunately that is THE ONLY rate we have. If we had any other options I would told you the first time you asked.
          CS: Well that's ridiculous, you're not helping!! My other provider would have never treated me this way! *click*

Thank GOD I got off the phones, even typing these stories out is making me cringe.

Do people honestly think that asking the same question over and over and over again is going to magically get them the answer they want to hear?

Comment

Didn't you realise?

ALL retail staff deliberately hide some of their stock just to thwart the customer.

Comment

Hehe.

At least once a week:

SC: These are the only toys you have?
              Me: Yes, all the toys we have to make are on this wall!
              SC: You don't have anything smaller?
              Me: all the toys we have to make are on this wall
              SC: I'm looking for one that's green, with purple butterflies and a red nose* and a bit smaller than that one
              Me: all the toys we have to make are on this wall
              SC: What about those displays? Are they different ones?
              Me: They are made from the toys we have to make on this wall
              SC: ...
              SC: Are you sure?

Me: *walks away*

*the item always changes. Somehow over 30 choices isn't enough - I must create what they dream up out of my ass and mass produce it immediately. After I do, I will inevitably be told it isn't small enough.
              If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Comment

Maybe the next time this happens to any of us, after about the 5th or 6th time of stating "All of X that we have, are on these shelves", we should toss an "All Your Base Are Belong to Us" in there, and see if it throws them off!

Mike
                Meow.........

Comment

Working...
                X