X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth patiokitty View Post
    "Everybody's clean and it can't happen here!" Frank Zappa, 1966

OP: Bet they have a wonderfully /sarcasm high click-through rate!
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
      After reading the memo, I can actually (after a fashion) understand the reasoning. Apple systems are designed around the concept that you can just jump in and do what you want without having to be tech savy, so it attracts those very types of people. Each of those procedures require going into areas that do require more than basic knowledge on what to do and Apple systems tend to not have prohibitive measures against OS corruption (a rename of a critical file is not uncommon and can render a system unstable.). Considering that any tech call center personnel will tell you just how easy it is for (l)users to screw up basic instructions, do you really want to chance them making the problem worse?
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I imagine that stopping processes on Macs is much like making registry edits on Win machines - not something you would trust to a layperson of untested aptitude.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I should point out that on some variants of the M$-targeted scamware, clicking either button will do you in, and that the preferred way to avoid infection is to do the three-finger salute and terminate the process instead.

Comment

It's Command+Opt+Esc on the Mac.

It's worth noting that Mac users that are using Boot Camp to run Windows on their machines may have the same issues, depending on the virus. I would suspect that most viruses affect the PC partition, but there may be some out there that cause errors on the hard drive or the hard drive to behave erratically.

Anyone using a hackintosh (myself included ) should be fairly safe as long as they have OS X and Windows each on their own physical hard drive. The Windows side may get affected, but the viruses (virii) shouldn't spread to the mac hard drive.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
              I should point out that on some variants of the M$-targeted scamware, clicking either button will do you in, and that the preferred way to avoid infection is to do the three-finger salute and terminate the process instead.
              On the Mac, a "Force Quit" (command-option-escape) will work for this; I used it when this one popped up in my browser. It's mentioned in a support note they added yesterday.

Comment

I just got done cleaning the vista security malware off my roomies computer.

She clicked on what obviously to her looked like a normal alert from her windows security center ...

Thankfully I have malwarebyte on a thumb drive...
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post

She clicked on what obviously to her looked like a normal alert from her windows security center ...
                  My son did that too. First I heard about it was when he asked..."why does Microsoft want me to pay to remove a virus from my PC?"

It was an evil thing
                  Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Working...
                  X