This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I just shoot my Mac mini?

Actually, what I wanted to ask is whether anybody knows where I can get older versions of OSX. I recently upgraded to OS Sierra (v. 10.12.3, if it matters) and it has been a major PITA ever since (computer itself is around 7 years old). It now runs incredibly slowly; if I have to reboot I might as well go out for supper while I'm waiting for it to come back up. And even once it's rebooted, when I try to get Google to launch ... I might as well go back to the restaurant for a nice dessert and coffee.

I'm assuming the new OS is the problem. Or is my little Mac mini just nearing the end of its life? Should I be saving up (possibly very very quickly) for a replacement?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

There are two boot key combinations to restore the OS. Before you do anything, check System Preferences, Security tab, File Vault. If FV is on, try turning it off. It may take...about a day to un-encrypt the drive. Otherwise, if your data is backed up: If possible, use a wired Ethernet connection. Turn the Mini on and hold Opt-CMD-R. This should boot to an Apple server. Try running the Disk Utility-First Aid first on the partition and then on the disk. Reboot and see if that helped. If not, you may need to re-install the OS. Before re-installing, it's better to run Full Erase on the hard drive-this WILL erase all your programs and data-but if you Zero the disk, it will lock out any damaged areas of the hard drive. Once the drive is erased, then choose re-install OS X. You should be offered to re-install whatever version the Mini came with. If you get offered Sierra, you will have to log in with your Apple ID-I'm not sure Sierra is a good choice for your Mini.
    I'm sorry, I can't explain every step in great detail, but I hope this and Google will steer you in the right direction. Your Mini is probably getting to the end of it's useful lifespan, so saving for a new Mac would probably be a good idea.

Comment

I've an old Mini that can't run anything newer than Lion, they last for ages but they do tend to struggle with updates as they're naturally short on resources (HD space, processor power.) There should be a way to rollback to the last OS, but I've only ever used physical media to do so which means I have no advice
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Did this Mac Mini come with re-install/restore media?

If so, back up, restore, and start over again.

If not, this link may help.

I've personally just installed Sierra on an unsupported Mac by the use of a slightly modified installer boot drive/USB drive. It seems to work fine for now.

Comment

^
          Thread title.

I can make that happen. Please let me make it happen.

Please
          AkaiKitsune
          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Sure you can shoot it, but at WHAT? That's the real question!
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

*spits* Yeyyyup, today out here at Rosco's Shoot 'n Scoot, we got us a new toy: A brand-new prototype system launcher right offa' tha' FlyByNight Industries assembly line. We like ta' calls it "The Callahan Full-Bore Mac Attacker." It's got an effective range of 500 feet, and the magazine holds five Mac Mini's as ammunition. We got here a whole mess of 'em, an' we're gonna be here all day putting this baby through its paces. These Minis don't have the explosive force of sumthin' like a Galaxy 7 slug, but hoo-WEE! They got 'em some stoppin' power. Today, we're gonna try them out agin' the Mac Safari hunter's traditional enemy, an ol' XBOX unit that's been refusin' ta boot up as of late. C'mon over and make sure ta stay within the lines. This oughta' be some goooood shootin'!
              Last edited by EricKei; 02-12-2017, 11:36 PM.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                Rosco's Shoot 'n Scoot
                Liked, commented, and subscribed to this channel.
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I'm gonna go out of the box here a minute...

Do you have programs on your computer that you absolutely have to have that are specifically Mac-based?

Reason I ask is that Ubuntu Linux might be a fit for it...it's free to download, and you could likely install it from a flash drive, if you really need to.

Just tossing it out there.
                  Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Thank you, folks, for all the suggestions; I will definitely check 'em out. Anything that I think is too complex for me ... will have to wait until my nine-year-old nephew is in town again ...

mjr: I used to have specifically Mac-based programs on my computer (well, they're still there) but Sierra doesn't allow some of them to operate. I've got Microsoft Office; don't know how that fits in with your suggestion.
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                      I've got Microsoft Office; don't know how that fits in with your suggestion.
                      You can use that on Linux if im not mistaken but with that being said if you are not using something that is IOS only I would look into a windows computer and see what u can get many more options for cheaper then a mac. I think this belongs in you original post

Comment

I've been thinking about going Windows PC for some time. Not happy with the direction Mac is going in, in general, since Steve Jobs died.
                        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I've found that OpenOffice is a good, legally-free (open-source) alternative to MS Office. It's not exactly the same, but it's close enough, and does the job well. On a related note: Honorable mention to Notepad++ for making "classic" Notepad look even more pathetic and unusable than it already is.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I've heard about OpenOffice (mostly good stuff) but have never tried it ...

Notepad ... is that on PC computers?? 'Cause if it is, I think it's on my office computer ... luckily I never have reason to use it.
                            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                              I've heard about OpenOffice (mostly good stuff) but have never tried it ...

Notepad ... is that on PC computers?? 'Cause if it is, I think it's on my office computer ... luckily I never have reason to use it.
                              Notepad is on Windows-based machines, and EricKei is right...Notepad++ is vastly superior.
                              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
                              X