This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying Thieves.

It was a beautiful day in the electronics section of the Service Merchandise I was working for at the age of 18. I had a steady stream of customers, not too busy, none impolite, and all were purchasing service plans. I was on top of my game when it came to selling.

So why am I adding this to this forum for sucky customers?

Because of Them.
    You see, electronics, as it was explained to me on my first day, was one of the sections with the highest rate of loss. Oh, sure, we did everything we could to move smaller, easily tucked away items behind the counter where customers couldn't get at them, but you'd be surprised what they can walk away with.

The two teenage girls in question here were walking up and down every aisle, messing with stereo's, vacuum cleaners, vcr's, speakers, and basically making a mess out of every shelf in my section. Let alone blasting rap music so loud people in other departments called me to complain. This put them into my sucky category.
    But then things got worse.

I finally had to ignore them to help someone off in a corner with a high priced stereo they were looking into purchasing. After answering every question this guy had, and donig a pretty decent job of not being THAT kind of sales guy, he told me he'd think about it and come back.

As I walk back behind the counter, the Manager of the store comes over to me, and we have the following conversation:

"Hey, good job on selling that stereo!"

"I didn't sell it."

"No, not that one, the other one! To the two teenage girls."

"I...what? I didn't sell them a stereo."

"But, I held the door open for them to carry it to...their...OH SHIT!!!"

So, yeah. Not only were these customers annoying as all hell, they were thieves, and my manager held the door open for them as they walked off with a $200 stereo.
    "Chaos in the midst of chaos isn't funny, but chaos in the midst of order is." - Steve Martin

Well, on the up side, if you do something minor and the manager gets on you about it, you've got leverage

ps, who's bob and why did he send you?
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

As BookstoreEscapee said, welcome.

Was the other guy a distraction or did he come back to buy that stereo?
      MMO Addicts group

Comment

Thank you for the welcome, I've been enjoying some stories here for a while. Got quite a few more to add, as well.

I can't answer the question about Bob in polite company.
        "Chaos in the midst of chaos isn't funny, but chaos in the midst of order is." - Steve Martin

Comment

What makes you think we're polite?

Also: welcome.
          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

First: Welcome!

Last: Polite? You're calling me polite? I've never been so insulted!
            "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

I'm thirding the "Polite? Who, us? Nah!" comments, and whatever-ing the Welcome!!

Good story.
              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

wait what is this word.... pooooliiite..... is it candy? I want candy!! share the wealth man....

Comment

Quoth Bobsentme View Post
                  Thank you for the welcome, I've been enjoying some stories here for a while. Got quite a few more to add, as well.

I can't answer the question about Bob in polite company.
                  Polite? Well go to hell, then! Thank you very much!!
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth MMATM View Post
                    First: Welcome!

Last: Polite? You're calling me polite? I've never been so insulted!
                    Same here
                    MMO Addicts group

Comment

Your manager is the idiot, really. Doesn't your store tape the receipt to the box, or put a SOLD sticker on it, after they've been through the till? If it doesn't, no wonder they have such high losses from Electricals !
                      A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                      - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
                        Your manager is the idiot, really. Doesn't your store tape the receipt to the box, or put a SOLD sticker on it, after they've been through the till? If it doesn't, no wonder they have such high losses from Electricals !
                        Actually, yes. Yes we did.
                        Bright green stickers with the store logo on them.

Manager didn't bother to check for it at all.

Comment

Polite? One moment please.

I feel better now.
                          I AM the evil bastard!
                          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

hehehe polite....Pull my finger, hows that for polite
                            My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth MMATM View Post
                              Polite? You're calling me polite? I've never been so insulted!
                              I was once called "normal". That was offensive.

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
                              Nah, maybe it's just a problem with the inventory counts.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X