Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They take... and take.... and take....

I truly regret, to the core of my being, establishing a local discount. There are a few items that are more expensive up here simply because of location. Honestly, dairy is a luxury and we pay for it dearly. We do not get any types of deals from our Beer distributors. So we decided to give a local discount on certain items. I even give it to people who only come up to their cabins in the summer or just weekends.

Among other areas we've tried to be local-friendly... I've let locals write checks even though we don't regularly take them. I let the morning paper be dropped in a location where the early risers can grab a paper and pay before we open. I sign for their packages when UPS and FedEx can't get up their roads in the winter. I even let some locals run a tab.

What do I get in return? I get complaints about price as if they expect us to get the same price as Food 4 Less. I get bitched at when deliveries can't get through on occasion. I get to be the absolute last bill they pay and that's if they even remember they owe me. (3 freaking months later!) I get handed a check and then told to hold it for 2 weeks. I get ripped off on the papers. (had a guy assume that because the papers are outside that they are "free" despite the sign on the box next to them with the price on it)

And the kicker of them all, I get yelled at over their damn local discount because I don't remember their arse from the last visit they made to their cabin 2 effing years ago.

Now the right way to deal with that situation is to simply realize I don't remember them and for them to remind me that they are a local. Right? Nooooooo, old fart today had to pitch a fit because his ego demands that I remember his arse every few years.

Old fart walked out without cigarettes.

And it's not like our regular price for cigarettes is even very high. We are the cheapest on the mountain and that includes the Safeway in the next town.

I am so ready to sell and get the hell out of Dodge... just needed to rant.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
    ~Clerks

I feel for you.

The gas station I worked at was still in the city limits, but it was the last one on that side of town. So if you didn't stop there, the next one was 5-10 miles away.

Also, being a mom and pop store and not a big corporate chain, our prices for cigarettes and milk and beer were higher than, say, Holiday and Kwik Trip.

People used to bitch and complain up a storm. Why not be proactive and shop where it's less expensive? I NEVER bought smokes where I worked.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Yeah, I agree about being proactive, Blas87. I never buy gas at the c-store where I work unless I just don't want to mess with driving elsewhere or am about out of gas. Why? Because it's one of the highest gas prices in town. I know where I can whatever I want cheaper, so I go elsewhere to get it without the complaining.

I get so sick of hearing people complain about whatever they want being so high, then going on that tangent about getting it cheaper elsewhere. If you know where it's cheaper, then just shut the hell up and get it there! Don't bitch to me about it. I really don't care. There are plenty of other customers with better attitudes who are more than willing to buy what you refuse. I get paid by the hour any way it goes.

Ironically, I had someone tell me today about the Chevron station just up the road from us charging about $3 more for a 6-pack of Smirnoff Ice. I think that's the first time I've actually heard someone be grateful that we had a better deal. I really have never shopped there anyway, but that's good to know, I guess.
      The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

When it comes to cigarettes, I'm their best bet price wise. We don't make much on them, in fact, if I sell an entire carton to a local what we make on it wouldn't even cover the gas to Sams Club.

Most know that dairy is expensive for us and they only buy when they need it or for the convenience of not having to drive 40 minutes and most appreciate the discount, it's the few that resonate and send me screaming into the night. (and last night I took a xanax and went to bed to forget about the few. vodka just wasn't going to do it)

Just based on location alone, you'd think that most would figure out that we are there for "convenience" and not their weekly shopping. Hell, I'll even tell them that. Forget butter? Either drive into the next town and get it for about what I have to pay for it or pay for the convenience of not driving all that way.

Noooo, that would require thought and common sense.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
        ~Clerks

Comment

Just put up a sign that says "Locals get certain benefits, complain and you are not a local in owners mind."

Oh, and stop allowing the papers to be left out. If someone complains, just say it's due to theft.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

You should make up a flyer for the slack jawed mouth breathers who complain to show them that you really are saving them money.

Something along the lines of ...

Price of butter at Safeway that is a 40 minute drive each direction $3.99/lb

Cost of gas to go pickup that butter $10.00

Price of butter at SuperB's $5.99/lb

You do the math!!!!
            My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Working...
            X