Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have to cover people's stupidity....

1. Yeah.... listen to one consumer watchdog. Now your computer is fried.

Backstory: Our service plans cover power surge damage under one clause: IF the unit was connected to a surge protector.

Guy calls in because his computer won't turn on. He had it hooked to just a line expander, not a surge protector and because of this during a mild thunderstorm it fried the power supply....

Me: I'm sorry sir, but not having this computer hooked up to some sort of surge protection is the reason why it won't turn on anymore and....

SC: (Cuts me off) Listen here. Many years ago I watched a consumer watchdog segment on TV that stated that needing surge protectors is a myth circulated by retail stores to get their attachment rates up. Since then I have never used a surge protector on anything, just line expanders and never had a problem!

Me: Well as it stands because of this, using the computer without a surge protector is considered misuse and the repair will not be covered under the service plan.

SC: THIS IS BULLSHIT! GET ME A MANAGER NOW!

So I go over to a sup who is all ready to get his headset and tell this guy the same thing when our quality manager hears the reason for the sup call and comes out of her office.

QM: Just proceed with the repair and put it under the service plan and put notes you're doing it for customer satisfaction.

Me: Not for nothing but why? It's misuse under the service plan.

QM: So you don't get a bad survey score if the customer gets emailed a survey.

Me:

So I do the repair and make sure I put it that it was the QM that made me do it. The sup that was going to take the sup call was not too happy but there wasn't much he can do.

1. Bet you'll learn not to leave a still image on the screen for hours.

Guy has a 1 month old plasma TV. With modern plasmas you have to be an idiot and leave a static image on the screen for a really long time in order to get burn-in. Our new service plans cover burn in but only during normal use ie station logos etc. With new plasma TVs having pixel shifting, even that isn't a problem anymore.

Well get what this guy did? He paused a video game, forgot about it and ran errands for 5 hours. When he came back, the paused image was burned in and wouldn't come out.

Me: Unfortunately sir, purposely leaving a static image like that on the screen for hours is considered misuse and is not covered.

SC: What?! I didn't know this was going to be a problem! No one told me to avoid leaving still images on the screen! (Hint: it says it right in the manual but SC's don't read)

Me: Well as such it will not be covered under the service plan.

SC: Get me your manager now!

So I go to get me sup, again my QM hears this and says.....

QM: Just proceed with the repair under the service plan so you don't get a bad survey score if the customer gets emailed a survey.

Me: Um, okay. Thinking: Is that all she cares about?

So again, I am made to look like a fool to the customer just to get (an inflated) survey score.

Like to hell with the plan underwriters, you know?

And, this is just one more reason why those surveys being used as a tool to abuse the staff is a bad idea.

As for the plasma TV - why the hell doesn't it go into some standby mode when sat with no activity for five hours? My LCD drops to half brightness after 30 minutes, and shuts down entirely after 2 hours. I thought this was common to all modern TVs.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Computer monitors, yes, but only because the computer knows when you aren't using it.

TVs, no - how the heck does it know if you're watching it or not? Instead, blame the console for not having the same intelligence as the average PC from 15 years ago.

Comment

This is also why you get the consumer "advocates" telling people to just scream for a manager if they don't get their every outrageous, unjustified, entitlement whore whim satisfied. If I could, I would make that QM eat every one of those satisfaction surveys.
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
          TVs, no - how the heck does it know if you're watching it or not? Instead, blame the console for not having the same intelligence as the average PC from 15 years ago.
          Ask Sylvania. Both of the last 2 LCD TVs I've spent time watching will go into some form of standby mode if the image on screen is static for long enough.

The last one had a screen saver where they had their logo bounce around the screen forever and the current one just goes to half-brightness and eventually completely off.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It really amazes me that warranties (and the restrictions contained therein) even exist these days. it seems that your QM is more interested in good survey scores than the huge amount of $$$'s it costs the company to "repair" or replace these TVs.

If someone not all that high up in th foodchain is just going to over-ride the stated and LEGAL contract that is a warranty, what is the point.

just like your other post about the expire software subscription, what is the point of having rules and policies if they get trashed by some timid customer fearing upper manager
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I had more than once a sup at AT&T tell me to send a free dispatch for customer satisfaction and for a good survey, well one customer got the survey guess what it said: all 1s because they had to DEMAND a sup to get anything done, so i get screwed and the company lost 180 bucks from it, mangers... kissing butt doesn't always work.
              Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
              pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

dang. i've left games paused for the night on my bf's PS2 but... we turned the screen off.

then again i've done IT work so i already knew about screen burn in.

Comment

"quality manager"

"more interested in good survey scores than the huge amount of $$$'s it costs the company to "repair" or replace these TVs."

I'm thinking somebody gets a bonus based on those scores, and nothing based on the company's financial performance.

So it's no skin off her nose if the company loses money, she still gets paid.
                  I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

A little insight:

The retail store is rumored to demand the survey scores be at a certain level, otherwise they might threaten to pull the department from us. So that's why the upper managers are always leaning towards bending/breaking rules in the name of the almighty survey.

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
                      A little insight:

The retail store is rumored to demand the survey scores be at a certain level, otherwise they might threaten to pull the department from us. So that's why the upper managers are always leaning towards bending/breaking rules in the name of the almighty survey.
                      So when they find out you've been fraudulently repairing items (as a company) under warranty they're gonna be chuffed...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

I also have been known to leave a game paused all day while at school (hooray for unlocking Mewtwo in SSB Melee), but I turned the TV off. My television isn't plasma, but I still did it because I felt silly leaving it on.

SLight drift, but fun story. My mother's idiot boyfriend bought her a new LCD television when her old one (which was probably 30 years old or more) finally died. He bitched at her to not play CDs in the DVD player that was built into the television because it would cause image burn, and that wasn't covered under the warranty. First of all, from what I've heard, LCD screens are immune to image burn. Second of all, I don't see how playing a CD would cause it. But then again, this man is a complete retard; when he got outsmarted by the DVD player, he broke it by beating it with a flashlight.

Comment

LCD TV's don't have issues with burn in. Earlier plasmas had issues with burn in and needing to be recharged every 2-3 years.

Those two issues, even though modern plasmas don't have those issues (NOTE: burn-in can still happen if you leave a static image on the screen for a really long time) some people still think they do which is why many people will outright say "I don't want to buy a plasma" when shopping for a TV. Which is why only 3 vendors currently make them.

Comment

LCDs absolutely do have issues with burn in.

I know this because my monitor two before the one I use now at work had burn in. I dock my task bar to the right side instead of along the bottom on my work computer. It's just more efficient for me. When I did that for that particular monitor, it had a ghost of the task bar along the bottom which never went away for the couple of years I used that monitor.

^-.-^

Comment

Just so I can stick my hands in ever piece of this

First off I always turn off that "monitor go into standby mode after an hour" crap cause I hate it. I'd rather have a screen saver turn on instead.

My TV is a rear projection HD, and can have issues with burn in...but between the cable box having a built in screensaver and the Ps3 doing an auto dim and eventual power off it should never be a problem.
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
                              X