This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, but FAIL

A guy comes in and goes over to the cashier window. There is a certain smirk on his face that does not seem to be related to the obvious effort he is making to carry three large, stuffed, canvas bags that appear to be about to burst from the volume and weight of whatever is within them.

He heaves them up onto the counter in front of the glass window, and announces that he is here to pay his fines. The cashier looks at the three bags, then calmly asks to see his identification and the case numbers of the fines he is here to pay. The guy smugly hands the cashier the paper work. The cashier looks up the cases. He owes close to seven hundred dollars for four tickets. The cashier asks how he intends to pay. He points to the three bags and gives a big, [stuff]-eating grin.

Yep. The bags contain nothing but pennies.

The cashier doesn't even bat an eye. All she does is call someone to come out and put the three bags on a cart to take back to the back area. She tells him it will be a few minutes, so he can step to the side while the pennies are counted.

The guy looks quite proud of himself and announces that he intends to wait at the window and watch the counting. The cashier says again that he may stand to the side while she waits on the next person in line.

As promised, within a few minutes the three empty bags are out to the cashier along with the total. She informs him that he is thirty-two cents short. His smile changes quickly to a snarl. He states that there is no way anyone could have counted all that, and claims she is lying to him.

She informs him that the office has a machine to count coins, and that it is very accurate and very fast. He demands to see that machine. She tells him that no unauthorized persons are allowed in the back offices, and that if he does not believe the count, the pennies will be returned to him and he will be allowed to count them out himself in front of a staff member who will document everything. She then repeats that he is thirty-two cents short and asks how he wishes to pay.

The guy finally realizes that the scene he was hoping to make simply is not going to happen. He throws a dollar on the counter, is handed his receipt and sixty-eight cents in change, and leaves frustrated. Everyone else feels much more sunny - especially since there is no such machine back there!
    Last edited by South Texan; 03-15-2013, 10:29 PM.
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Oh, I like it...

Back in my days at the Car Park Office, I once had a taxi driver come in to pay a couple of fines, all in loose change - not all pennies, but a motley collection of copper and silver. He also dumped it, in bags, on the counter with the same kind of grin. So I put a look on my face like all my Christmases had come at once, and said 'Oh wow! Change! We never have enough!'

And I insisted that he wait while I counted it all out, just in case he'd made a mistake in our favour you see. Didn't bother me, one of us was still getting paid while it was being counted....
    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

That rocks.

The coup de grĂ¢ce:
      Give him the $0.68 in pennies.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

So, out of interest- how DID you count it that fast, if you didn't have a machine to count it?

Comment

Quoth sstabeler View Post
          So, out of interest- how DID you count it that fast, if you didn't have a machine to count it?
          I'd say they didn't, and just made up the 32c shortage to mess with the guy. In which case, bravo!

Edit: Actually, there is another method of counting, and that is using scales. There are scales that will weigh bags, and work out how many items are in the bag from the total weight. Awesome system to use at times.
          Last edited by aulocksmith; 03-16-2013, 01:20 AM.
          Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

Quoth aulocksmith View Post
            Edit: Actually, there is another method of counting, and that is using scales.
            The problem there is that in mid 1982, the penny went from 3.11 grams to 2.5 grams. As you won't find too many steel pennies (2.67 grams), you probably don't have to worry about them.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth aulocksmith View Post
              I'd say they didn't, and just made up the 32c shortage to mess with the guy. In which case, bravo!
              Actually, I believe sstabeler was asking Marmalady how she counted the change she received in a similar situation. South Texan indicated that there was a coin counter in his (her?) story.

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
                Actually, I believe sstabeler was asking Marmalady how she counted the change she received in a similar situation. South Texan indicated that there was a coin counter in his (her?) story.
                Read the last line in South Texan's post. :P

Comment

Quoth Draco View Post
                  Read the last line in South Texan's post. :P
                  OK, I missed that line.

Comment

That is AWESOME. I'm sure he was already rehearsing in his head the triumphant story he would tell about how he "showed them a thing or two" when he went to pay his fines. Now he's got no story to tell ... well, he does, but it's not likely one he's going to tell.

When I was a supermarket cashier, change was counted by weight. It was inaccurate at best, which was probably why we were able to be up to $10 off when our tills were counted.

Comment

I hate to think of all the effort that went into gathering up that many pennies and then making sure that he had enough and what not.

He's probably the douchebag that tailgates people when there is a string of cars ahead of them.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                        I hate to think of all the effort that went into gathering up that many pennies and then making sure that he had enough and what not.
                        He went to some poor unsuspecting bank, and complained because they didn't keep that many on hand.

Comment

I had a customer like that years ago when I worked for a soul-sucking auto repair franchise. He made it a point to be a pain in the posterior to everyone he encountered. Old fart had a civil service job on the local Air Force base and got in hot water with the SP's for putting a big sign on his trashy pickup truck's camper that said "to hell with Bush" (Bush Senior, not Bush the Second) and ended up suing over their objections.

He also paid his property taxes in pennies every year and at least once made the news for that. Dude had a few screws loose.
                          Proud Oath Keeper and 3 Percenter!

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                            When I was a supermarket cashier, change was counted by weight. It was inaccurate at best, which was probably why we were able to be up to $10 off when our tills were counted.
                            The cashier in this story probably knew the total would in reality be short, but considered it priceless to take the air out of this windbag. Excellent pwnage on her part.

Quoth NCO View Post
                            He made it a point to be a pain in the posterior to everyone he encountered.

He also paid his property taxes in pennies every year and at least once made the news for that. Dude had a few screws loose.
                            He probably considers himself a "free thinker."
                            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I always thought you had the right to refuse payment in pennies if the total was over 25 cents. That used to be the case, but changed in the 60's. After that, the law was that, if a business agreed to take any payment in all pennies they must be willing to take all payments in all pennies. But a business still has the right to determine what forms of payment they will take - thus, they can still refuse payments in all pennies, just as they can refuse to take anything over a $20 bill. Interesting info at Snopes.
                              I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Working...
                              X