This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive-by mask shaming

Was walking down the sidewalk sans mask today, and heard someone bipping their horn at me in a very obnoxious way, glanced over, and saw some old man slowly driving past making exaggerated "put on your mask" gestures with his hands. This, despite the fact that the sidewalk was 100% deserted, and there was not a person in sight.

I'm sorry, but when I'm outside, I'm not putting a mask on my face. I have it on-hand to put on if I decide to enter a store, but if I'm walking down the street, with no other people anywhere near me, I'm not gonna do it.

Why should you, when you're out all on your own?
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

If you're outside, and more than six feet away from other people, no reason to wear it. Other than to show you have one, I guess.
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

A couple towns here have passed laws that require masks at all times in any public areas--including outdoors even if there's nobody else nearby. I'm still not sure if that makes sense; maybe it does given the discovery of these new more virulent Covid mutations.

My masks are head-strap types, so easier to pull up and down as needed.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Saw a woman go out of her way to shame a jogger who came nowhere near her for not wearing a mask. smh

Comment

IIRC outdoor transmission is unlikely unless someone is right in your face...occasionally I'll see stuff about a person/party on an empty hiking trail with ZOMGNOMASKTHEHORROR! When I visited my dad we went hiking and didn't wear masks (we had them handy in case others were on the trail, but my acclimation to that altitude wore off years ago and I like oxygen).

That said, I'll wear mine outside if I know there are going to be other people in close proximity, or if I'm in one of the aforementioned towns with mandates. I don't know if the local law enforcement can issue tickets, but don't have the disposable income to find out. What pisses me off is drivers giving us dirty looks for not wearing a mask in the car with windows up.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

That's ridiculous. I sometimes wear mine in the car with the windows up because mine ties and it's dumb to untie and re-tie just to go literally 3 minutes from one errand to the next. But I don't care at all what other people do in their cars. When did the control-freakism get so bad? Actually, it makes sense after the last 4 years. So much has happened that the everyday Joe feels he can't control so he's compelled to control the smaller things other people do.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I would have been pointing to my groin with exaggerated gestures for what he can do.

You may have your own opinion on this whole thing, but as long as nobody is defying legal requirements, shove that opinion up your ass.
                D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                  I sometimes wear mine in the car with the windows up because mine ties and it's dumb to untie and re-tie just to go literally 3 minutes from one errand to the next.
                  Mine ties too. I pull the top strap up over my head and let the mask fall down around my neck when I'm in the car or otherwise away from others. Then it's easy to pull it back up and into place when I need it.

I can't wear a mask in the car because the last thing I need while driving is for my eyeglasses to fog up, and even with the best-fitting masks, that tends to happen.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                  X