This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Florence Coming . . .Check In

If there's anyone in the path of this Category 4 (possibly 5 by the time it makes landfall Thursday PM) let us know you're okay.

We're prepping here in the middle of NC . . . area schools are on modified schedule the rest of this week, possible flooding and power outages may be happen. I'm hearing estimated rainfall amounts of around 30 inches (2 1/2 feet, which on me is not quite waist high!)

Not sure how much of this is news media hype, but anyways if you're in the path, get out of it and get to safety. Better safe than dead.

If you're not around the coastal areas, stay safe and alert anyways.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Last train south....

I'm currently on the AMTRAK Crescent headed back home to Charlottesville VA from NYC (Rosh Hashanah at my stepmom's house). The train is packed (and sold out), and the service advisories indicate that after this train they're shutting down service on this line until the storm passes.

Comment

Got 3 friends in ground zero for Flo. One, who lives in Moorhead City, has left. One who lives in New Bern has to stay, because she's a high level county employee. The 3rd lives in Raleigh.

I trust all 3, and wish them the best.
      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Ya know, there was a reason that the traditional housing along the southern coastline was up on pilings, anywhere from 3 feet to a full storey. When they went to cookie cutter slab building they set themselves up for lots of damage. The house I used to rent in Va Beach was on a full storey of stilt, and had hooks to hang a small dingey on the wall.

When I lived and worked in Va Beach/Norfolk VA I went through 2 different hurricane landings within 100 miles of the area, one I walked out of my job at a truck rental place because they wanted me to stay through the evacuation order in case someone wanted to rent a vehicle ... my BF of the time and I evacuated to Dillwyn up near CHarlotte. I put the money, contracts and my letter stating why I was resigning the job in the floor safe, locked everything down solid and shoved my keys through the key drop. Second time, I was working as a response guard and ended up taking one of my shot guns and hanging out for a couple days at a bank operations center as support for the regular guards. Third hurricane in the area my husband of hte time and I were living in a camp ground near Williamsburg VA while working a nuke plant outage, just really windy and rainy, no big deal but the cat was upset.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Northern Virginia, here, largely out of the path of the worst of it. Not that this is stopping people I know from freaking out about Florence Mighty-gale. Me, I'm not stressing about it.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

My family is preparing for the hurricane here in Greensboro. My mother somehow was convinced to buy emergency food a couple of months ago. We should be just fine.
            This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Is it accompanied by Storm Dougal and Tornado Zebedee?
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

According to radar, the hurricane should hit me by the tips, just like last time. I think it was Isabelle, who knocked over a 30 ft tree on our house, like it was paper. I still remember her winds, like a train. The piercing HOWLING. I remember thinking, this must be what a tornado feels like! It was a cat 4-5 storm. Hopefully that doesn't happen again, we've got a lot of old trees around our new house, and our soil is loose and swampy. I heard on reddit people are tying down their roofs and such...but I'm just worried about the trees.
                Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
                  My family is preparing for the hurricane here in Greensboro. My mother somehow was convinced to buy emergency food a couple of months ago. We should be just fine.

I've got stuff here . . . we're not really overrun with food that's just going to sit there but I do still need to get milk (we ran out at work today and hoping we get a truck tomorow with more) so other than that (and more canned kitty food) we should be good.

I only get paid every other week, so Tuesday after work, it was off to the Vape Shop for a spare coil for the tank and a fresh bottle of juice to hold me until I get paid and we have gas in the car. Already been to Wallyworld last weekend and got a few things, but had to get more drinks, kitty food and bread today and some sandwich stuff. I already have some water and we have the buckets on the front porch in case we need to store more.

And we already bought some of those battery operated lanterns that you can hang anywhere . . . we bought those last winter when Wallyworld started carrying those. And we have candles on top of that, so we should be fine. I'll charge my power bank tonight to make sure it's topped off and my brother has two of those he'll make sure those are charged as well.

Those power banks helped during the tornado in April when we lost power for 3 days. And I can take those to work and plug those up to charge one at a time behind my desk in the spare outlet during the workday.

But between now and Friday evening, I'll have the housework done up and I've got to steam clean the carpets in the dining room and Mom's room (we have babies and they are making messes) and just kick back Saturday and watch tv.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I've tried to use my blow dryer to make the stupid storm go up more north, but it looks like it might just swing down the coast. I live in coastal SC, close to the NC boarder, and got a bit more inland, so I'm safe.
                    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

After the rest of you are done with it, the dregs are coming my way.

I bought a generator earlier this year. I decided to unbox it, assemble it and test it out. Now I need to get some power cords.

Those who are getting the brunt of it, stay safe.
                      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                      Save the Ales!
                      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

*stickied*

Prayin'/got my fingers crossed for all of y'all. Seems best to get out if you can >_> Remember Katrina? It covered nearly the entire Gulf of Mexico. This sucker is bigger than that O_O
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
                          I've tried to use my blow dryer to make the stupid storm go up more north...
                          Hey it's a female storm.You can't just make it do what you want by attempting to blow it...
                          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                            Hey it's a female storm.You can't just make it do what you want by attempting to blow it...
                            Well no wonder it didn't work!
                            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post

We women respsond to much more refined ways of persuasion . . . when we're inclined, that is.

All I can say is Flo must be pretty pissed at some dude, otherwise she wouldn't be making all this ruckus.

Comment

Working...
                              X