This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth greek_jester View Post
    TSelf-scans seem to have taken over from the express lanes over here, since I rarely see them any more.
    And that doesn't bother me. The cashiers weren't ever allowed to enforce the item limit anyway, so what's the point? If I have just a couple items, I would prefer to go to a SCO actually, to avoid getting stuck behind someone who wants to argue and hold up the line.

But when I'm in a giant store with quite a large number of employees on hand and the line at the ONE cashier ends up down an aisle... To me, a reasonable solution would be maybe to start with one and have another one available if needed. That's so basic, right? I'm sure everything makes sense in the spreadsheets and formulas that corporate makes up, but reality doesn't conform to neat little columns. Arg.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
      I'm sure everything makes sense in the spreadsheets and formulas that corporate makes up, but reality doesn't conform to neat little columns. Arg.
      That is very true.

But then Corporate does not want to hear about reality.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
        ONE register with a live human being at it, and 8 to 10 people lined up. And of course the SCs are right there ... most of them standing unused.
        My store is doing this. Ever since the idea was floated to put them in (2+ years ago), us who had experience with them were sounding the alarm. People here want to be waited on, they don't want to do it themselves. If they do get the chance to do it themselves, they will steal.

It doesn't help that the SCOs are arranged against the wall in line with the cookie shelves, so we can't stock that area at all if the SCs decide to make two checkout lines.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

We have two large grocery chains here, and one of them seems to have abolished SCO. I can't say for sure, because it's the chain I use less, but it is on the route to work, on the convenient side of the road. I used to use the SCO for my bagel and frozen entree for lunch, but now stand in line to be checked out. You'd think they'd have more than one cashier at 9:30 in the morning.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
            The only way this is ever going to stop is if every customer who is stuck at an express line behind someone with more than the requisite number of items complains to the manager. Eventually the sheer number of complaints will make corporate have to choose; annoy the customer breaking the rules by making them leave the line, or annoy the many more customers keeping to the rules?
            If you really think that would happen, I'm sure you can find some good deals on bridges in NYC.

What will happen is Corporate will get complaints from both sides, and Corporate will tell the store managers to make sure that Express Lanes are for people with the right amount of items... without telling the cartfulls to go to other lanes. Corporate of course lives in Wonderland where doing impossible things like that is perfectly normal thing to do before breakfast after all.

In any case, as others have noted, more and more, Express Lanes seem to be replaced by Self Checkouts and that seems to be slightly improving the situation. Or at least for me, I generally prefer the SCO and will use it when I can; but I normally only have express-lane numbers of items to buy anyways.

Comment

Working...
            X