X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You're the reason I'll be spending my money elsewhere."

Promise?

This was an actual quote from a customer to me today.

Customer is text book bad customer but without the haircut and her name isn't Karen. She has problems she has that as an excuse. It's not a good one but it is what it is. She gotten into it with a few of my coworkers before and up until today I guess I was one of the good ones.

I was the lucky one to ring her up in a rush of people. She had these two things of fake nails that she claimed were 50% off. She pulled them from the space above so they weren't the right ones. I told her the UPC's didn't match and the sale ones were the ones below (that were empty). She told me she doesn't care about UPC's because they don't matter and the tags said the same thing. Of course they didn't.

Manager got involved and agreed with me. She got back in line to get the other stuff she had and I got to ring her up again. The entire time she was telling me how she worked retail and the customer is always right and I know her and I had no right to talk to her the way I did and how is she supposed to know about our SKU's. See right there I know she's full of it because while they are interchangeable mostly we call them UPC's where I work. And that's what I called them here.

One her way out she said "You have your job and I have mine." Insert quote from title and my parting words...
    "You do what you have to do."

That's the only thing I said to her for the entire transaction. She's not worth it. To give an idea what we've dealt with before from her, she accused one coworker of being a witch, yes with a W. And another coworker of not being happy enough in her transaction with her.

Hopefully she does go to another store because she's tired of how we treat her. I don't care if her scripts are with my company. We have other locations.
    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

I hope this is a promise, that she won't darken your door again.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

One her way out she said "You have your job and I have mine."
      That's the point. She doesn't have your job so she doesn't get a say at how your company is run. She wouldn't even if she did work there.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

"I won't be coming back here again!"
        "So... same time tomorrow?"
        "... yes"

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
          "I won't be coming back here again!"
          "So... same time tomorrow?"
          "... yes"
          I said that to the manager that was ringing next to me. Yes, I had another member of management to semi-witness my final exchange with her even though she was busy, too. But she's the kind if you're right, she will have your back.

To me the funniest part of this is that for my yearly review I was praised for my customer service skills. And take this for what you will with it coming from me and not knowing me, yeah I do have some pretty good skills. I have customers who say I'm their favorite. And sometimes I hear stuff come out of my mouth and I'm tempted to look around to see who's saying it.

Comment

"I won't be coming back!"
            -- can I get that in writing?

"I'm never shopping here again!"
            -- See You Next Tuesday? (Yes, near-acronym deliberate!)
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
              We'll hold you to that.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

A variant from a different perspective, courtesy of a restaurant owner I know -- he'd occasionally send off employees for the day with "Yer fired. Go home. See you in here tomorrow at 8."
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Now for the exciting conclusion to this tale...

My store manager was going over the results of the company's yearly engagement survey. I mentioned this incident and I said I figured she'd call and I would've heard something. The manager said she did call and because of all the previous run-ins with employees and who was involved this time (ME! also the manager) she pretty much blew it off because she smelled the bullshit. The topping of this sundae is her stuff has already been transferred...somewhere.

So for the first time in my 17 years at this job I have confirmation that I chased a customer away to never darken our door again.

Comment

You have the power!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

Do we work in the same city? I was accused of being a witch. That was one of the times where a customer says something stupid and your tongue is faster then your brain. My reply wasn’t exactly diplomatic.
                      Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

I've gotten similar lines from customers over the years....just to share some brief examples:

Church secretary job: We had a small food pantry, and for various reasons, had to limit the amount of assistance we could provide to people. One of the "regulars" wanted me to override that limit for him, and got very upset with me.......said "I won't be bringing my business here again!" And for the rest of the time I worked there, I never saw him.

Library job: we had a semi-regular customer, "Gary", who threw a fit about wanting more time on our "Work Assistance" computer, and said he wouldn't be coming back. (He showed up again the next week)

Comment

OH yeah...the famous "I'm such a great customer and you're losing my valuable business blah blah blah blah"
                          Whatever. Color me not caring.
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Yep, I've used "See You Next Time" with several nasty customers. You know what you said to them, but they don't.
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                              I hope this is a promise, that she won't darken your door again.
                              This is retail, we know that she will be back.
                              "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                              X