This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish me luck!

So unfortunately yours truly got axed along with a bunch of others.

The good news (so far) is that I have two interviews potentially scheduled for Monday. And these are "one and done" interviews. Interview, decision the next day.

One company is further away, but I think I like the other better so far.

In fact, the salary is basically the same for both of them, so the lady (internal recruiter) said she was going to contact the hiring manager today to see when on Monday he could do the interview. I already have one, so I suggested either Monday morning, or late Monday afternoon. Then I jokingly said I would do it on Saturday, and she said if I was serious then she would suggest it to him, and that way he could possibly make an offer on Monday.

I would really rather take the 2nd one, since it sounds like a better place to work...

Anyway, wish me luck. More resumes going out this weekend, probably...
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Sorry you got axed :-( that's never fun good luck I hope this opens more doors for you.

Comment

Same here about your job loss. Hope something good turns up quickly!
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Well, neither of those were successful. The first one would have been about an hour's drive anyway. The second, they had me whiteboard. I don't like whiteboarding the way they wanted me to. It's not a strength of mine.

Give me an IDE, and I can figure out what you want.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
          Give me an IDE, and I can figure out what you want.
          So you're saying the place that expected you to whiteboard stuff would have been a SCSI place to work?
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Everybody's on the fire wire...
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Bunch of companys are filing bankruptcy. I see this being a bad sign

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                So you're saying the place that expected you to whiteboard stuff would have been a SCSI place to work?
                Ha ha ha ha...good one!

Quoth raw1989 View Post
                Bunch of companys are filing bankruptcy. I see this being a bad sign
                I don't think this was a bankruptcy thing. This was something else, I think.
                Last edited by EricKei; 05-14-2017, 01:59 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

Quoth mjr
                  I don't think this was a bankruptcy thing. This was something else, I think.
                  Ah maybe but who knows with everything filing for banrupcy I just saw another kids clothing store filing. world is getting really slim on jobs.

Comment

So this sucks. I'm over a month in. Still nothing. I've had a few interviews, but nothing's materialized. Some of them want skills I don't have, some are just a brutal drive.

Though I did have one almost in the palm of my hand. Would have been awesome. I could have worked from the comfort of my own home and everything. The internal recruiter told me I would have been the one, but...

They decided at the last minute not to hire, because they'd acquired a new company and decided they didn't need to hire at this time. Though they said they might need to in "a couple of months".

Another company basically told me the same thing. They were "too busy" (which confused me) right now to hire, because they were in the middle of preparing for a release, but they may check back with me in June.

I have a couple of other things in the pipeline. It sucked at first, but over a month in it's REALLY sucking now.

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear that. Keeping my fingers crossed that one of those "almosts" tips over into a job very soon.
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                        I'm so sorry to hear that. Keeping my fingers crossed that one of those "almosts" tips over into a job very soon.
                        Me too. Thankfully when this happened I'd gotten a bonus a few weeks later (that I didn't spend), and then I got a small severance.

I also have a little socked away in savings, but I'm really hoping something happens soon.

The lady that I talked to at one place said if I didn't hear from them by Wednesday to give her a call. I may follow up today (Tuesday) though and see what's going on.

I also hope I get something soon because I want to get a Win10 laptop. Right now I just have a Linux one that a guy gave me. It only has about 2.5 hours of battery life, and I really can't do my development on it. With a Windows 10 machine, I could at least sit in my living room and learn new things in the evenings or on weekends, and not have to sit in my "computer room".

Comment

I know the feeling about the new computer! I'm hoping to get a new Mac Mini to replace this thing, which I seriously offended by installing the newest OS on it. Doing so also wiped out a program which I'd been using to read .dnl files and now I can't find a replacement -- the links I originally used to get the program no longer work.
                          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Yay!

I'm getting an interview! It's a company about 40-45 minutes from me, on an "easier" drive (less crowded highway).

The money's not quite what I want, but right now this is the second most promising lead I've gotten.

The "internal recruiter" at the company called me yesterday to try to schedule some times, but all the people (it's a panel interview) were all scheduled at different times, so it may be early next week...but it looks like an interview is happening!

And another firm I talked to, the recruiter told me he "jumped the gun" a bit. He said the hiring manager told him they were going to hire for a specific position, so he started giving me the details. Unfortunately, he told me just yesterday that HR at that company hadn't officially given the "green light" to that position, and that they probably would do so today, so hopefully I'll get another interview next week sometime...

Hopefully things will start looking up...

ETA:

One interview scheduled for Monday. Another is in the process of being scheduled...so we'll see...

Hopefully I will have them both next week, and can land one of them...
                            Last edited by mjr; 05-31-2017, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X