This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gingerbread!

I just made these gingerbread cookies for the in-laws' Christmas party tomorrow. It's not typical gingerbread cookies; they're not crispy and good for decorating, more like molasses cookies or snickerdoodles. Very very chewy.

The apartment smells so nice right now...

Oh, I ADORE soft chewy gingerbread cookies. The recipe I have also calls for molasses, which I think helps alot with keeping it soft.
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I've made that exact recipe before! They are delicious.

My son likes to make gingerbread men (these usually come out of a box). This year we made gingerbread Justice Leaguers: Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern...I tried to make a Martian Manhunter but he didn't turn out too well. Neither did Spider-man. : (
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

AnaKhouri - did they spread too much during baking? I've found that halving (or leaving out altogether) the baking soda actually helps cookies keep their shape a lot better.
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Oh no, it was nothing like that. it's just really hard to make all the spider-webbing on Spidey's costume. And I tried to give the Manhunter that heavy brow and messed up his eyes. It was all icing disasters.

Our gingerbread almost always comes out of a box.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Kaylyn, I hope you don't mind my sharing my recipe for pepparkakor--thinner, less-sweet ginger crisps:

Ingredients:
            1/2 cup molasses
            1 cup butter or margarine
            1 cup brown sugar
            1 tablespoon ground ginger
            2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
            2 teaspoons ground cloves
            1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
            1/2 teaspoon white pepper
            1 medium or large egg
            3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
            1 teaspoon baking soda
            1/2 teaspoon salt
            Preheat oven to 325°. On the stovetop or in microwave warm molasses and butter or margarine. Dissolve the brown sugar in it. Stir in spices and allow to cool to room temperature before whisking in the egg.
            Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add dry ingredients, which you have stirred together in another bowl, 1 cup or so at a time. Dough will be soft.

Method 1: Drop by tablespoonfuls on an ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Dip a wide-bottomed glass in water, then granulated sugar and use to press the cookies to 1/8-inch thickness. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until edges start to look dry. Let sit on sheet 2 to 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

Method 2: Chill dough until it is very stiff. Roll out a small portion at a time--keeping the rest refrigerated--on a floured board to 1/16-inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutters and transfer carefully and quickly to an ungreased sheet. These can be placed very close together, nearly touching each other, as they won't spread. Bake 5 to 7 minutes, until they have just puffed up and edges look done. Don't overbake; they cook very quickly. Let sit and transfer as for drop cookies.

This recipe will make a bazillion cut-outs. I often freeze half for another time. These are fantastic with coffee. The spices in proportions given make an excellent stir-in mix for coffee or when mixed with sugar, as an alternative to cinnamon toast. Happy baking!
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
            X