This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very scary morning

It's been very warm here lately, and last night, I opened the window a crack to let in some fresh and cooler air. When my alarm went off, I discovered that the window, rather than being open a crack, was open wide.

This window has no screen. I have a cat. And she wasn't in the room.

So at 6 a.m., I alerted everyone else in the house (involuntarily, for the most part) by calling her and looking for her. It turned out that she was in the ivy growing up the side of the house; I think she was afraid of the owners' dogs, who are, I think, harmless, but rarely shut up. They were barking their heads off, and she was meowing.

My landlord is a real do-it-yourself kind of guy, and he even got on the roof, in the rain, to try to get her out of the ivy. I was one floor below, in my housemates' bedroom, horribly afraid that he would drop her or she would lose her footing and fall - three stories.

He tried many things, including getting an old ironing board with no legs and holding it out to the area where he thought she was, in the hope that she'd use it as a bridge to enter the building.

After his failed rooftop attempt, he came into the room where I was. By that time, she had actually climbed down the ivy so that she was in the vicinity of the window, but there was no way for her to climb over to me. He had started to call the fire department, but when he realized how close she was, he said, "I'll call you back later," and hung up.

He doesn't speak English, so I motioned that I'd like the board again, and he brought it to me, then - wisely - left the room. I pushed the board over, and by God, she got on it. It was heavier than it looked, and she took her sweet time advanced along it. When she got far enough, I pulled it towards me, very very very slowly and carefully....

And she came in.

I promptly closed the windows and picked her up. One of the housemates who lives there is allergic to cats; fortunately, he wasn't home. I picked her up, wet with rain, and walked into the other room.

My landlord told me he'll measure the window today, so he can install a screen.

aw *hugs for you and kitty safely back* and kudos to landlord for climbing out in the rain on the roof to get her
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

She's been walking around, purring, chirping, and waving her tail - all normal behavior. I bought baked goodies for my landlord and landlady, as well as for the people upstairs. My landlord mentioned again that he's going to have a screen put on the window. The sooner, the better, and I think he thinks the same. One of my housemates came down to see Kitty and thank me for the baked goody I gave them. Kitty was very happy to meet her, and we sat on the floor while she gave us both loves.

Comment

Oh thank goodness you got her in safely! Naughty kitty!

I had a cat once who went through a small hole in a screen (enlarged it quite a bit - I think he was part Maine Coon) and somehow got down to the neighbor's driveway two stories down....without getting hurt....so he could pick a fight with a stray cat. I got him back inside but that was pretty terrifying.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
          My landlord mentioned again that he's going to have a screen put on the window.
          Has your landlord heard of a product called "pet screen"? It's a heavy-duty fiberglass screen that's designed to be resistant to (NOT immune to) pets scratching at it. Costs a bit more "on the shelf", but considering labour is the main cost in re-screening a window it's worth it in the long run.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Yes, she was very naughty. The window has remained steadfastly closed. I don't know what kind of screen the landlord will install; I don't care much, as long as it's a good, strong one. She and I have been hanging out in here, cuddling up.

Comment

Working...
            X