This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gift advice...

a VERY VERY dear friend of the family is celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary, which is the golden one.

I'd like to get them something as a couple, nothing to tacky.

They are renewing their vows before friends and family, then a party afterwards!

Any advice?
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

If they live in a small house, or will soon be living in a small house (eg a retirement village), then many 'things' will be clutter. So something thoughtful and non-clutter-y will probably be more appreciated thansomething that will be in the way or that they'll have to struggle to find a place for.

If they like to keep photographs of family and friends, how about a current photograph of your family (including you, of course), in a gold picture frame? The photograph will keep it from being clutter, and if you ensure that the frame is the sort that can either stand or hang, it can be readily displayed.

If you're willing/able to do the work, collaborate with family and put together a 'life album'. Copies of photographs from their life, newspaper 'clippings' printed from the internet archives* that match what was happening in that era of their life, brief biographies of what they were doing during that stage of life. Each double-page being a temporal snapshot of some moment, significant or not.
    (* you may need to purchase a temporary access to the relevent paper's archives to be able to do this.)

For something lovely, but which won't be lasting clutter, you can give them an arrangement of golden flowers; or something like a golden balloon bouquet.
    Or, similarly, amazing foods.

If they like gold as a colour, you could give them a golden bedspread or doona cover or tablecloth or some other thing they need which is useful and won't be a dust-collector.

Also, you could just skip the whole 'golden' thing and give them anything heartfelt and touching and which you think they'll love.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

S (the wife), loves cooking and entertaining and gardening, C (the husband) is kinda an odd ball.

They are both devote Catholics. They have a good sized house with just the two of them, but plenty of grandchildren that live close by.
      It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

The wife would probably appreciate something for entertaining: a lovely lazy susan, or something for serving stuff with.

Or maybe there's some sort of Catholic iconography they'd really appreciate.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Catholic? Contact the Vatican; when my folks had their 50th, we got them a proclamation, signed by the Pope, congratulating them on the accomplishment. It hung on the wall of the living room until my mother's death.

If there's not enough time, possibly one of those huge decorative wall rosaries? Or a pair of very high-end rosaries, one for each?

Comment

Even if it won't arrive on the day, such a proclamation may well mean a lot to them. So contact the Vatican anyway, they may well be delighted.

I like the idea of the rosaries. Didn't think of it myself.

If they're the sort of person who loves home-made stuff, a rosary is not an especially difficult beading project; as long as you stick to simple techniques. Make it fancy by using higher end beads and materials. Any beading instructor worth the name should be familiar with them, and there are gazillions of tutorials on the 'web.
            Make one (or more) with cheaper materials first, gift them to Catholic friends once you have the skills down and make ones you're proud of. Then make the high-end ones for the anniversary couple.
            Last edited by Seshat; 05-29-2014, 06:48 AM.

Comment

How about something like this for their garden?

https://www.davidaustinroses.com/eng...asp?Showr=3246
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Working...
              X