This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To my cell phone weather app:

Thank you for informing me of the flash flood warning that was issued for the area last night.

No thank you for doing this by blasting the "this is a test of the emergency broadcast system" noise and making me just about shit my pants.

After my heart rate got back to normal I disabled weather alerts on both my phone and my tablet. Took me a while to get back to sleep though.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Whenever I see any posts that mention the emergency broadcast system, I always get reminded of this comic strip for some reason...

Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Oh wow! Effective, I guess. What app? I've only used Wunderground and Accuweather.

Comment

Either Accuweather or the Weather Channel.

Comment

I tried WeatherBug but I prefer Wunderground b/c of not only the watch/warning alerts but also live streaming NOAA weather on my phone.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Removed Weather Channel from both my phone and tablet, installed Weather Underground instead.

I especially like the individual storm tracks. Can be useful in determining if an approaching thunderstorm is nothing special or is packing severe wind and/or hail.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              I especially like the individual storm tracks. Can be useful in determining if an approaching thunderstorm is nothing special or is packing severe wind and/or hail.
              That's another useful feature too I can see exactly which direction the storm is traveling as well as how strong it is.

I also like the fact that I can zoom in to see the street names too. I'll sit and play with that while listening to the NOAA stream in the background. If I see it's approaching my neighborhood, I know roughly how much time I've got before we get Abby and the cats inside and the bottom falls out.

Abby will hunker down in the office if the door's open and she can get in - otherwise she's in the laundry room laying down right against my door while Gary will hide under a bed and not come out until it's over.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Not a weather app, but I nearly pitched my phone into my dog's water dish when an amber alert came through a few days ago.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Back when I was a kid, the EAS was to be used for one thing and one thing only, it meant the Commies were here at last.... using it for warning of something as routine as thundershowers always struck me as silly, alarmist, and likely to just desensitize people to it altogether. (And I don't mean a legitimate problem, like a flash flood. See, around here, if there MIGHT be a Thunderstorm that MIGHT have some wind in it, and MIGHT have hail that MIGHT be damaging... then the klaxons go off all over town! THe local Accuweather here must be staffed by Chicken Little himself)

When I was a yungun, if it rained, it rained, and if you didn't learn how to recognize an oncoming storm, you deserved to get drenched. The way they treat simple T-storms now it's like their some anthropomorphic force that will kick in your door and pull your children away, Stephen King would be proud.

I don't recall anyone in my neighborhood getting swept away unaware by a deluge of water, his empty schooldesk serving as a stark reminder that we should start warning people when it's going to possibly rain.... and kill everyone!

Okay, end rant..... and get off muh lawn you no-good kids!
                  Last edited by Argabarga; 06-03-2014, 03:13 AM.
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                    I can see exactly which direction the storm is traveling as well as how strong it is.
                    Even as a lifelong tech, I was stunned when I realized just how far we'd come. My wife and I were northbound out of Green Bay and wanted a cup of coffee. It was raining pretty hard. I grabbed the phone, called up some weather and saw we were outrunning the front. Told her we'd be out from under it for about five minutes in a few minutes and so we were. Dry coffee fetching, and drops just starting to splatter as we got back in the truck.

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                    while Gary will hide under a bed and not come out until it's over.
                    I realized "Gary" was (probably) a critter pretty quickly, but had a good chuckle at the imagery before I did.

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                    Back when I was a kid, the EAS was to be used for one thing and one thing only, it meant the Commies were here at last....
                    This is too funny and way too bizarre: I made almost the same comment yesterday. I was laughing with a co-irker about poor Irv's predicament, and he mentioned that it woulda startled him as well. I concurred, adding that for our generation, those odd buzzes didn't mean rain, they meant in-bound nukes. I'm kind of glad it means rain now.

Comment

I live in the Florida Keys. If emergency systems alerted for every thunderstorm coming, every person down here would have a permanent headache from all the noise.

Typical Florida Keys day: sunny, sunny, passing thunder shower, sunny, sunny, sunny.
                      Typical rainy Florida Keys day: rain, rain, rain, deluge, rain, deluge, short power outage, rain, deluge, clear.
                      Typical heavy rainy Florida Keys day: rain, thunderstorm, deluge, lightning, hour plus power outage, wind, thunderstorm, deluge, mini-floods, rain, slight clearing, deluge, thunderstorm.

None of the above would trigger any kind of weather alert down here. They save those for hurricanes, tropical storms, tornadoes, and flash floods.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                        I realized "Gary" was (probably) a critter pretty quickly, but had a good chuckle at the imagery before I did.
                        Yep - he's one of the kitties.

Just today we had a big patch of rain - a few minutes down the road east of me. I've got sun and a nice breeze right now.

Comment

Working...
                        X