This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventures in air travel

So I wound up doing my first solo flight yesterday, to and from Sydney. This was the first time I'd travelled on a plane SOLO. Here are some of the highlights and oddities I've encountered both on/off the plane and fun facts I've discovered since:

-My mother was ALWAYS the person who was randomly pulled aside to get swabbed for bomb residue. This started with the flight to/from the Gold Coast years ago and continued right up to yesterday. SHE didn't get swabbed when she was going in/out of security at the airport at home. I joked to my SO on the way back that it would be hilarious if the family "trait" was passed onto me. The second I say it however, guess who gets pulled over for a bomb swab? (Mum found it hilarious)

-Both my dad and my partner managed to set off the metal detector. My dad had his keys in his pocket, while my partner had to take his belt off and forgot to take his belt clip off. He was actually more concerned about his shoes!

-For some bizarre reason, I didn't get the ear popping issue as bad during take off (on both accounts), but rather I got hit with it when we were descending for landing. I was yawning SO much.

-Looking at flights for the other carrier I'm using for my eventual move over to Sydney, I discover that under the "dangerous goods", you are not allowed to take MREs or coconut oil on board. Can anyone explain these two to me? (The other "Dangerous goods" were obvious) Oh and these were for the checked AND carry-on.

-Somehow my partner and I managed to get LOST at Sydney airport. What had happened was that I'd gone the wrong way and gone out the exit that was meant to be used by visitors (ie those who'd come to see someone off). My partner however (Who's a native Sydneysider), had gone the right way and wound up in baggage claim. I wound up having to ask for directions from one of the desk ladies for the carrier I was using. She seemed amused.

What I was VERY happy to find in Sydney though was the presence of a DAISO Japan store. Basically, it's a Japanese version of a Dollar Tree. My partner did a slight sucky moment when he asked one of the girls "Does everything cost $2.80" (there was a sign RIGHT in front of him which said this), but it's somewhere I'll return to in the future. There was also a whole floor in this shopping centre which was used as a mini art-gallery and artist space. They also had a whole bunch of art installations and chalkboards that the public could draw and play with. The installations consisted of:

-A styrofoam head where the public could stick pins into it and create patterns. It was already full of pins by the time I got there though

-An old-fashioned birdcage full of a couple of artist mannequins and a whole bunch of messages tat people could write and stick in the cage. I write "Hello from Adelaide! I'm trapped with a bunch of phillistines, SAVE ME!" and stuck it in the cage

-A "rainbow" made out of post-it notes and the idea was to define "love" to you. Next to one of the chalkboards with the question "What is love?" someone had written on a post-it "Baby don't hurt me"

-The final installation was interesting. The idea was to take a card, write an emotion on it and pose these two one-armed mannequins according to whatever feeling/emotion it was. I may have written "horny" on mine and set it up so that one of the mannequins was spanking the other (and yes, I have a photo of it)

-The chalkboards all had questions like "What is under our fair city" "When I was 5 I thought I would be..." "Draw your life in 4 frames" and so on.
    The "When I was 5" question had a bunch of HILARIOUS answers, including "Tony Abbott (our current PM who nobody likes)", "better than this", "Iron Man", "taller", "flying" "a policewoman dragon slayer", "marry[ing] a rich man" and so on. Unfortunately there wasn't enough space for me to write "A big comedian on late night TV." (I misread the question and stuck that answer on the "What is under our city" question, which in hindsight, made it MORE hilarious)

I also discovered that Sydney trains are double-decker! O_o. There's the "entry" level which has a small scattering of seats for the disabled or similar, then there's an "upper" tier and a "Lower" tier. I wonder if the buses are like this....
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Quoth fireheart View Post
    I discover that under the "dangerous goods", you are not allowed to take MREs or coconut oil on board. Can anyone explain these two to me?
    Not involved with airport security, but one possibility is that when run through scanners they look like other items which actually are hazardous. Remember that MREs have a few metallized (i.e. semi-shielded) pouches, and coconut oil is solid at room temperature. I wouldn't be surprised if plasticene (may go by different names in other countries - non-drying modeling clay) were prohibited because of its resemblance to certain other substances.

Also, with MREs, the heater poses certain risks. If it gets wet (unlikely - sealed in a pouch to keep it from going bad) it gives off hydrogen gas. Also, it contains magnesium metal - a bad thing to have around in case of a fire. Finally, when I did a quick search on "MRE heater hazardous", one of the related searches that came up was "MRE heater bomb" - a variation on the "dry ice in a soda bottle", and some links suggested mixing in the tabasco sauce included with a lot of MREs in order to have the "bang" throw a chemical irritant. Definitely something the security people would want to keep off planes.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      Not involved with airport security, but one possibility is that when run through scanners they look like other items which actually are hazardous. Remember that MREs have a few metallized (i.e. semi-shielded) pouches, and coconut oil is solid at room temperature. I wouldn't be surprised if plasticene (may go by different names in other countries - non-drying modeling clay) were prohibited because of its resemblance to certain other substances.

Also, with MREs, the heater poses certain risks.Definitely something the security people would want to keep off planes.
      Plasticine isn't prohibited here on planes (thank god), but I have no idea how the hell security identifies it.

Comment

Mum's party coming back from Israel on a church group got stopped going through security. One of the girls had in her bag some Dead Sea salt next to her Walkman-yep,on the screen it showed up as a bag with white powder with some leads coming out.They were very happy once she opened it and showed them what it was...
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
          Mum's party coming back from Israel on a church group got stopped going through security. One of the girls had in her bag some Dead Sea salt next to her Walkman-yep,on the screen it showed up as a bag with white powder with some leads coming out.They were very happy once she opened it and showed them what it was...
          Oops.

One of the kids I work with told me she'd done a recent flight over to Sydney. When I asked her what she thought of it, she looks at me and then goes "They gave me a colouring book!" Too focused on that to look out the window I guess....

I also got to see (what I THINK it was) snow and ice for the first time from the air. Part of the flight path was over the mountains in NSW and it looked GLORIOUS. (SA very rarely gets snow and when we do, it's usually like 1mm or something)

Comment

Coming back from the Caribbean my mother packed a large bottle of hot sauce in her carry on. It was identified by X-ray and the one agent explained he was going to open her bag and look around.

As the man is digging in her bag (she's quite the packer) my mother kept sticking her hand in the bag and grabbing to help. Each time she did this the agent would stop and say "ma'am, please remove your hand from the bag." My mom would nod but several seconds later her hands would be right back in the bag. She did this 4 times before I forced her far enough way that she couldn't reach the bag. The man finally took the hot sauce, explained it was too large a volume for a carry on and the rexrayed her bag. This time it was fine. We came home sans hot sauce.

We joked that she was lucky she didn't get stopped and specially searched for all the "help" she was trying to give the agent.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post

-Looking at flights for the other carrier I'm using for my eventual move over to Sydney, I discover that under the "dangerous goods", you are not allowed to take MREs or coconut oil on board. Can anyone explain these two to me? (The other "Dangerous goods" were obvious) Oh and these were for the checked AND carry-on.
              MREs issued by the US Army can be extremely dangerous, especially for your lower intestines. Seriously though, their heaters can boil water for 25 min and give off hydrogen gas (you can also make a 'tear gas grenade' if it has hotsause )

As for my airport story, Tear Gas is very relevant. I may be 'mildly' concerned about my personal safety, as well as the safety of others. So I carry a Conceal Carry Handgun (legal with permit in my state). I also carry 'secondary' tools in case of greater threats. Yes, I carry Tear Gas grenade with me. My logic is that if I am attacked by a gang, I can pop smoke and run like hell.

I was given an Army assignment for a month in Ft. Hood. I did not want to mess with my CCH on a plane (legal in checked bags, but a lot of paperwork), and they are really sensitive about firearms on post (I can carry and defend myself in war and as a civilian, but not as an American soldier at home???). So I went with only my tear gas. Nothing happened on the way there, I forgot to declare it.

On the way back home, I remembered to declare my tear gas. I knew this was not a good thing when the agent said "You really can't have that, even in your checked bags." and called security. She let me dig it out at least and I "Donated" it to security to help with training. She explained the reason about the cargo compartment not being pressurized, and I understood. Also, was threatened with a stern letter from the FAA.

Too no ones surprise, I got a 'random' security check, and my checked footlocker was thoroughly checked. I suspect, I am still on a couple 'lists' too this day.

My Sargents found this HILARIOUS My contract was almost up, as was both of theirs, their give-a-dames (tm) were busted.
              My Commanding Officer was far less understanding. no, no, no, that is understating his anger. That is more accurate.

I honestly think the only reason I did not get into (much) trouble was the fact I was so polite and respectful to the brave men and women of the TSA. (I am not a fan of the bureaucrats, but the ground level grunts deserve a good deal of respect for working with the hand they are given.)

I actually did feel a bit bad over everything. I just feel like I worried a bunch of people over nothing. In retrospect, it was pretty stupid on my part.
              I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Just FYI, the cargo compartment of most passenger aircraft *is* pressurised. There are even vents through the pax deck to it, designed to stop the floor collapsing if there's a sudden decompression from the lower half of the fuselage.

Better explanation is: you don't want a tear-gas canister going off accidentally on a flight.

Comment

There is literally nowhere to go to escape it!
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                  X