Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My brother was very into so-called guy things: Football, woodworking, cars, etc. For a while he also did cross-stitch (I never had the patience for it, lol). He said if Rosie Grier could do it, so could he.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I often freelance for this company: http://www.hubbardstreetdance.com/ They're one of the top contemporary dance companies in the U.S.

A lot of these guys started out studying ballet. They're all muscular and really fit. (I try not to enjoy costume fittings too much ) It's really amazing the stuff they can do. And there are more straight men in the company than gay men, believe it or not.
      "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
        He plays Ninja Turtles and Strawberry Shortcake (now there' s a crossover).
        Hee, with me it was barbies and godzilla.

I can't tell you how many times in the late 80's I was dragged to the school counselors office because I drew dinosaurs or was playing with toy trucks. My favorite toys were a rubber rat and a 2-headed dragon. The counselor didn't seem to think this was appropriate. My parents were finally tired of her and said to never take me out of class for an 'assessment' again or they would file formal complaints against her. She was nice enough, but misguided. Nothing is strictly boys and girls anymore!
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Danseurs are hot. That is all.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Do male ballet dancers wear tutus too? I thought their costumes were a lot more streamlined or were just a unitard/T-shirt and tights.

What would the ladies have to leap towards to hang in midair limbs aflail as if she's weightless if the little mouthy wench was correct? Robots? (OW!)
            "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

I would have thought the girl had seen or read the Angelina Ballerina stories/tv shows. There are a couple male mice that are in the ballet/dance class.

Comment

Men typically wear (for recitals) a kind of tunic with tights (and then ballet slippers.) There can be variations on this depending on what the costumer designer wants to do/is told to do/is allowed to do, but the traditional costuming for guys is a tunic/top, tights, then slippers.

For warm-up/class/practice? Typically form fitting shirt and pants so that the teachers/choreographers can watch their form and make sure they are doing everything correctly. (SMILEY KNEES.)

If Khan wants to slap on a skirt during warm up (though teachers tend to make students take those off as they block being able to see the waist/hips/knees alignment) more power to him.
                My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                  Men typically wear (for recitals) a kind of tunic with tights (and then ballet slippers.) There can be variations on this depending on what the costumer designer wants to do/is told to do/is allowed to do, but the traditional costuming for guys is a tunic/top, tights, then slippers.

For warm-up/class/practice? Typically form fitting shirt and pants so that the teachers/choreographers can watch their form and make sure they are doing everything correctly. (SMILEY KNEES.)

If Khan wants to slap on a skirt during warm up (though teachers tend to make students take those off as they block being able to see the waist/hips/knees alignment) more power to him.
                  In addition to that, while men CAN go en pointe when they're older, typically male shoes do not allow for this. Also male shoes are generally leather or canvas, while female shoes are leather (if you're a child) or satin (adult).

If you're getting Khan started, I'd suggest bike shorts for 1-2 lessons to see if he really wants to do it. If he doesn't want to do ballet, there's always jazz or contemporary both of which are also mainly female dominated styles. (and in terms of dancewear, Jazz is fairly similar to ballet but with different shoes, while contemporary dancers generally dance barefoot or with special shoes similar to gymnasts)

As far as shoes go, I'd advise checking the noticeboards of local dance schools for any secondhand shoes. Alternately, I'd advise going directly to the websites of the manufacturers: two names off the top of my head are Capezio and Bloch. Both of them sell kids ballet shoes. For men, they are usually black. (they also sell proper dancewear)
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                    In addition to that, while men CAN go en pointe when they're older, typically male shoes do not allow for this. Also male shoes are generally leather or canvas, while female shoes are leather (if you're a child) or satin (adult).
                    That depends. Pointe shoes are definitely satin with a reinforced box. But regular "flat" ballet shoes come in both leather and canvas for females as well. I personally preferred the canvas split-sole flat shoes. Never could find a good pointe shoe for my foot because I have wide feet and stubby toes so the front part of the shoe was too long and difficult for me to get up on all the way. Of course now Bloch has apparently come out with a shoe that has a shorter vamp after I quit dancing. Go figure.

If you're getting Khan started, I'd suggest bike shorts for 1-2 lessons to see if he really wants to do it.
                    As young as he his, he could probably get away with sweatpants and a t-shirt for now.

As far as shoes go, I'd advise checking the noticeboards of local dance schools for any secondhand shoes. Alternately, I'd advise going directly to the websites of the manufacturers: two names off the top of my head are Capezio and Bloch. Both of them sell kids ballet shoes. For men, they are usually black. (they also sell proper dancewear)
                    Payless usually has Capezio kids ballet shoes. Khan's still little, so secondhand shoes would probably be alright, but I remember how nasty my shoes would get. I used to keep my dance bag in my trunk, and the smell whenever I opened the trunk was unreal. My feet sweat a lot even when I was little. Which is fine for me to stick my foot back in there, but I wouldn't wish it on anyone else. I wouldn't want secondhand leotards or tights either. If you do go secondhand with shoes, make sure they get Lysoled really well. Just in case. Fungal infections are nasty.

Also, a word to the wise if Khan ends up wanting to keep dancing as he gets older: dancers are at a much higher risk of eating disorders. It does happen to boys too. I watched several of my classmates battle anorexia and/or bulimia and it's awful. Even now I have some body image issues left over from my dancing days. Just something to keep an eye out for if this ends up being a hobby he sticks with.
                    Last edited by jedimaster91; 12-18-2012, 09:41 PM.
                    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all the information. I'll keep it in mind if he really ends up liking ballet (and doesn't forget all about it by January). For now I'll just stick to the free 30 minute-a-week classes at the YMCA. I doubt many people discovered their lifelong passion at age 3 after all. But thank you, I didn't know any of that stuff about shoes!

I think the reason Khan doesn't freak out about other kids' business is that we aren't busybodies ourselves, so he rarely hears his parents gossiping or judging other people. And when it comes to art I have never tried to make him follow the instructions exactly or make his piece look just like the example; his storytime crafts usually look like Mark Rothko and Jazkson Pollack had a baby, and his Thanksgiving turkey picture was apparently hatched beside a leaking nuclear plant. In my mind all art is subjective so I guess he doesn't think there is a 'right' way to do things.
                      Last edited by AnaKhouri; 12-19-2012, 12:58 AM.
                      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I doubt many people discovered their lifelong passion at age 3 after all.
                        Maybe not many, but it does happen. I was one of them. (Basically had a "where does books come from?" conversation from my mom, and as soon as I learned it was people that made them, I decided right then and there I wanted to make them too.)

Just keep doing what you do. My parents were like you - supporting any interest I took in something and encouraging me to give it a good try. I bet Khan will appreciate the support as much as I do, when he's older.
                        My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                        It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all the information. I'll keep it in mind if he really ends up liking ballet (and doesn't forget all about it by January). For now I'll just stick to the free 30 minute-a-week classes at the YMCA. I doubt many people discovered their lifelong passion at age 3 after all. But thank you, I didn't know any of that stuff about shoes!
                          As far as the shoes go, I'll try and break it down:

Material: Leather and canvas are the way to go. Generally speaking, boys shoes are leather.

Sole: Some shoes will have what is known as a "split sole". It just means that instead of one flat piece along the bottom, the sole is done in two parts, over the ball and the toe (or where there's more likely to be weight). Not all shoes are split-sole however and not all dance schools will allow split-sole.

Extras: Don't worry about Khan needing to wear tights, you can get away with socks, as long as they're white and not the thick ones. At his age, you could get away with sweats, although if he's serious and continues it when he's older, I'd advise getting some lycra shorts. (and if he continues into his teens, he'll need a dance belt)

The other dancemaker I was thinking of was Energetiks. They also do an online store.

I only found out about all of this because I was looking at some suitable shoes to wear to a flamenco class (which has been put on hold until the New Year) and I wanted something that wasn't going to go flying off. (the shoes I'm thinking of are known as character shoes and resemble mary janes with a heel )

ETA: A few schools will run a preschool program that is a little less intense as well, but make it fun for Khan.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            My brother was very into so-called guy things: Football, woodworking, cars, etc. For a while he also did cross-stitch (I never had the patience for it, lol). He said if Rosie Grier could do it, so could he.
                            Apparently cross-stitching and knitting are good for finger coordination or something like that.

As for ballet just being for girls and the boys in ballet being fru frus....How many of these manly men can lift up a 100 pound woman with such grace and ease and then hold her up with one hand.....

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                              Apparently cross-stitching and knitting are good for finger coordination or something like that.
                              You can always make a cross-stitch tapestry of Pokemon

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                                As for ballet just being for girls and the boys in ballet being fru frus....How many of these manly men can lift up a 100 pound woman with such grace and ease and then hold her up with one hand.....
                                Not to mention that occasionally to make sure not to drop said girl, the boy's hand may need to end up in....interesting places.
                                I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Working...
                                X