Clear All

• National Mute Day

Me: "Hello."
    SC: (throws money on the counter)
    Me: "Which pump was that?"
    SC: (holds up 3 fingers)
    Me: "OK that's $X, you gave me $Y, here's $Z change."
    SC: (takes money and leaves)

Usually they at least say "thanks" when they go. But not today! I guess it must be National Mute Day. Why didn't anybody tell me about that? (probably because the first rule of Mute Club is do not talk)

Quoth edible_hat View Post
    Why didn't anybody tell me about that? (probably because the first rule of Mute Club is do not talk)
    That's probably the 2nd rule, too.

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

In all fairness, the person may have been Deaf. And was able to anticipate your question/read your lips to know you were asking which pump #.

When I had to do 24 (non-consecutive) hours of acting Deaf for an ASL class, I hated going to stores. I had to ignore so many workers, and I felt really bad about it! But it made me realize that some people may not be actual jerks, they don't know you're there offering help.

Comment

Quoth Reyneth View Post
        In all fairness, the person may have been Deaf.
        The Deaf way of doing things is different.I'm not sure how exactly, but I pick up if somebody is Deaf quite quickly and start using sign language (my fiance is Deaf so I get a lot of practice at home).

I do get Deaf customer sometimes (including one regular who fills his truck every couple of days, he comes to us because if I'm there it's one less person he has to write notes to), but some of the "mute day" people were regular customers who I know can hear and speak.

Comment

Yesterday, that customer could have been me. I would go to talk and I would have no voice. Then about five minutes later, I could manage to squeak out a few words.

Comment

Try having a mute guy in your drivethru during a busy hour. They just cruise right past the speaker box and pull up to the window. Causing a huge slowdown in the line. Then they DON'T have a pen and paper to write their order down so you have to search the store for something to write on. Grrr.

Comment

Working...
            X