This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't you get her to call...

Ever have those customers, the ones who shop with annoying other people--who just can't possibly talk to YOU.

Customer this week wanted something that there had been a run on (it's apparently science project week), we were out, but I didn't know that. So, I took her over to where it was. Where all forms of it were out. Everything. Small and large, all gone. "Do you have any in the back"... No. And our freaking over stock is literally OVER--stock, it's up there in boxes on top of the shelves. There was no box corresponding to that section, therefore, no overstock for that section.

I remembered that we had something similar in another part of the store, so I take 'em over there. It's the customer, her daughter and the customers bitchy friend. I show 'em the product, but she's AFRAID of it....and pissed off because I can't tell her any more about it than she couldn't read herself (it was fucking resin). Her friend "get her to call the other store....!" Customer "We could go to walmart...", her friend, "just have her call"... There were a couple more exchanges that I can't quite remember, but it had to do with the customers friend referring to me, but never addressing me.

I don't know if they ever got anyone to call the other store.

I walked away, while they were conversing amongst themselves. Referring TO me, but never actually talking to me. Meh, they didn't need my help anyway.
    you are = you're. not "your".

She was afraid of resin? Buh? What, did she have it confused with radon or some other radioactive and/or carcinogenic substance? Did she have nightmares of some flesh-eating resin-monster hiding under the bed? I don't get it.

The ones that bother me the most do their computer shopping on their cell phones. I understand getting advice from a more computer-savvy friend, but some of these people take it to extremes.

Several times now, I've had some customer go through the entire laptop selection (about 30 computers), reading off the spec sheets to the person on their phone and asking, "Well what about this one? It's got (spec, spec, spec)... Yeah?... And what about this one? It's got (spec, spec, spec)." Within two minutes of hearing that, I've usually figured out what the customer wanted and could point them to one or two models that would be perfect, but when I've offered help, suddenly they were "just looking." Fine. You could spend two hours here on your phone or fifteen minutes with me and leave with the same result. I get paid either way.

It's been said before, but it's like they forget that we're people and view us as some sort of Information Directory / Slave 'Droid.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
      It's been said before, but it's like they forget that we're people and view us as some sort of Information Directory / Slave 'Droid.
      Well, not necessarily. I've had some experiences where the employee tries to upsell me on things I really don't need or want. When what I want is basically the cheapest available computer that will still do what I need it to do. I'm not very computer-saavy, so I don't really need much. I contacted my friend (not while I was in the store, mind you) and got a rundown on what BestBuy offered. All said and done, they were the best choice for me. But if it wasn't for my friend's input, I would've ended up having the Geek Squad hook up my computer (even for me, that part was reeeaaally easy) and gotten a protection plan and probably some other stuff as well, when I really didn't need the extra stuff on a $600.00 computer package.

It may not be right, but sometimes shoppers feel like the store is trying to take advantage of our ignorance. Still, I'm thoroughly happy with my computer and the store was very helpful when I later went back and selected a digital camera.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
        It may not be right, but sometimes shoppers feel like the store is trying to take advantage of our ignorance.
        I know this feeling and can also relate it directly to buying computers.
        What I don't know about computers could fill a warehouse, and before I went to get mine I talked with a few savvy people to find out what would be best for me. Turns out the most basic model (basically a glorified typewriter) is the thing for me and it's all I really need - something that turns on, works, can get me online, and will allow a word processor. End of story.
        When I actually went to make the purchase I was being pressured into a dozen different upgrades I didn't understand, and when I repeated that I only wanted the basic model I was treated like an idiot, with the sales person saying, "Fiiiine but your computer is going to run like garbage and you won't be able to do much with it."

Obviously not all sales people (commissioned or not) are like this, but it's reasons like this why I want advice from friends and family over someone who is trying to make a sale.
        I don't know why some people can't accept that some of us only want the very bare essentials and will never need the extra bells and whistles they're trying to sell us, but because of up-selling I will always seek advice from a knowledgeable person outside of the employee sector.

Comment

I once had a CompUSA salesman DOWNsell me on a video card.
          No joke.

Of course, this was a long time ago.

He suggested the 1MB version, fully $100 cheaper than the 2MB video card I was about to go to the register with. I believe that was the very first video card I bought for my own system. A Diamond Stealth, with 1MB of memory onboard.
          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
            Obviously not all sales people (commissioned or not) are like this, but it's reasons like this why I want advice from friends and family over someone who is trying to make a sale.
            That's understandable. I don't mind at all when people seek advice from friends or family. I do it myself sometimes. I do mind when they refuse my help entirely, but then, I'm one of those computer sellers who will sell the glorified typewriter if that is truly what you need.

My take on computers, as a buyer and a seller, has always been this: "Figure out which one has the bare minimum to do what you want it to do, then buy the next step up. That way, performance issues and the need for upgrades both show up significantly later."

Interestingly enough, I have done some down-selling myself from time to time (as in, "This model's great, but it has this extra piece of hardware you won't use that costs an extra $200.") And I have seen customers who come in with friends or family, and it's the person they brought for trusted advice that does the up-selling.
            I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
            - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
            - IPF

Comment

Working...
            X