Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it really so difficult to make an appointment?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it really so difficult to make an appointment?

Hello everyone, long time no see

So I have a new job; I'm now the secretary for a department at my alma mater, from which I graduated in May (small aside, I'm fairly certain it's the same univ. CandyShopGirl works at).

All the faculty and staff are really nice, but some of the students I deal with...

One of my duties is to answer the phone and make appointments for students to come in and speak with the advisor in the dept. Sounds easy, but I'm starting to wonder how some of these kids are in college. I had a student call in today and ask to speak with the advisor. This person called on Friday and was basically told that the question was too complex to answer over the phone (ie the advisor didn't have time to do so) and he needed to make an appt. The call got dropped when he was transferred back to me, so I figured he'd call back.

I get a call today, obviously a student, asking to speak to the advisor. Okay, I transfer the call and a few minutes later the advisor calls me (with student on the line) to tell me the student needs to make an appointment. Turns out it's the kid whose call was dropped on Friday, who was trying to get the advisor to answer the same question as he had on Friday (why he didn't just make an appointment with me first, rather than be transferred to the advisor to be told the same thing he had been on Friday, I don't know). Our conversation is as follows:

Me:
    S: student

S: I need to make an appointment with (advisor)
    Me: Sure, let's see, she's available Tuesday morning and Wednesday afternoon.
    S: ...uh...when should I come in?
    Me: Well, what time is good for you?
    S: ...um...I don't know...let me do it...Tuesday...no, wait...
    Me: ....
    S: Can I call you back? I have an appointment with a professor and I'm not sure what time it is...
    Me: Sure, I'll be here until 12 and I'll return at 1
    S: Okay, bye

Like, seriously? YOU are the one who knows your schedule, not me. This sort of cud-chewing nonsense happens way, way too often. People seriously expect me to just tell them a day and time. Whenever I'm asked for an appt. I tell them when the advisor is free for the next couple of days. If you need an appointment within the week, you've got to choose a time yourself. I'm not going to hold your hand, YOU are the one who knows when you are free, so just pick a damn time. It's common frickin' sense.

Quoth RobotPlanet View Post
    I'm not going to hold your hand, YOU are the one who knows when you are free, so just pick a damn time. It's common frickin' sense.
    That's the problem. Common sense seems to be an endangered species in this day and age.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
    X