This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherin I get the urge to deck a customer

So I'm watching the registers on my overnight shift. Night is going fine, bit busy, but not unusual for those hours in the early shift.

A few hours in, a customer comes in asking for a certain prepaid cellphone rechagre card. For whatever reason, the company discontinued them and within the past few days, they were pulled off the shelf since they all got taken out of the system entirely (we are fairly sure they are being reissued, since we have gotten a few new ones in that look different). I tell the customer this. So she asks what kinf of alternatives there are.

Well, since all we carry besides those is the normal prepaid phone cards thats should work from there, I pointed those out to her. I specifically told her they were NOT the same thing as recharging the minutes on the pre-paid phone, and even gave her a brief rundown of how those things work. They were a lot more common years ago before everyone and their mother had 8 cellphones, and prepaid ones were readily available. Given this info, she seemed a bit, well, dumbfounded about it based on her reaction now (and later), which I found a little odd. She acted like she had never seen such a thing in her life. Okay, whatever.

So she picks up a $30 one without mich further question, and I ring her up when she's finished shopping.

Fast forward to a while later. A coworker and I are just about the head into the office for something (by now, it's quiet hours in the store and as long as we can hear and ackowledge customers in the store, we are not restricted on where in the store we can venture so long as we get the work done) when she calls us over. Before either of us can ask what is wrong, she starts going on.

Apparently, she claims the card "didn't work". She's blaming me ENTIRELY saying I told her it would (I told her HOW it worked), blah blah, we need to give her a refund, whatever. Well, we can't do that. Prepaid cards are non refundable. Technically, we can, but we don't due to potential for scams, so pretty much every supervisor will tell everyone looking for a refund that only the store manager can take care of it, and it is at their descrection. I would later remember that she had me throw out her reciept, and without that, we cannot refund it PERIOD since it cannot otherwise be deactivated.

Now, I have some emtional issues, and I do not take confrontation well. Luckily, my coworker (and later, another) did their best to help me, since I'm pretty much riding out a panic attack here. Not because I've done something wrong, but because this woman was SERIOUSLY pissing me off and I was hold back the will to deck her. The brain-mouth filter was definately not functioning and I knew it, so I held my tongue as best I could. I am not a violent person by any means, I will blance at actually having to kill a fly. My evil thoughts do not tend to manifest themselves in any physical form (other than a verbal rant), so me actually having to hold back the drive to punch someone means I am REALLY angry.

Eventually, I did jump to my own defense and clearly explained what I had told her, and later, when she retold the story for the 18th time, she did admit I SUGGESTED the item to her. It is up to HER to decide to purcase it or not, but apparently, that's my fault.

Then she goes off on how we should know everything about every product. Yeah, WTF.

Also comes into play how she's been up since 6 am (It's about 1 am ish at this point I believe), she's doing someone a favor, blah blah, because that's all my fault too.

Lather, rinse, repeat for like 30 minutes. She was blaming me PERSONALLY for everything and being a total EW about it too.

Eventually, after we explain like 40 times she needs to come back when the boss is in, she leaves, but not before she muttered something which I did not hear. It may have been a threat, I don't know for sure, but she's lucky I didn't hear it, cause I was so ready to jump the counter at this point. But my 2nd coworker, who tolerates NO bullshit of ANY kind (I love that about her, but sometimes, she can take it a little too far and gets too confrontational), followers her out, tells her she's reporting her to the cops and takes her license number (which she did, mostly to give them a heads up in case she stirred up trouble elsewhere).

I did not pick up on this, mostly due to lack of experiencing these things and knowing that some people are just psycho, my coworkers knew she was drunk or whacked on something (which is why the police were called).

Not long after, the bitch calls the store and asks to speak to the person who followed her out. I had to answer a page, so I did not hear that conversation, but apparently it would seem she was trying to make sure my coworker didn't report her (too late for that!). Apparently she had taken some kind of RX drug (I can't remeber the name nor did I recognize it, but if I had to guess, it was probably some narcotic or something similar). Coworker explains she did it because she knew bitch wasn't fit to drive and she could have hurt someone. Apparenrtly the bitch had said something like, "why, did I hit someone?"

The matter was done for the rest of the night. First coworker told my boss what happened in the morning, but boss did not question me further (could have been lack of time as well, since I do not see much of her and once my shift is over, I cannot stick around).

If she came back sometime during the day after I left, I don't know. I'll try to find out because that bitch needs to be put in her place!

Been a long time since a customer personally attacked me.
Working...
X