This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein Lessons Ruin my life

Ugh. Usually I don't get quite enough to make a legitimate thread before forgetting the details, but last night was just plain horrible.

You get Pizza!

I walked into work at the beginning of my shift just in time to find out that for the last hour and a half before closing my supervisor and I are expected to work alone. But that's OK, because management ordered pizza for us on the company account![/SARCASM] I've closed with two people before, and trust me, it doesn't work well, but of course, you don't know that because back when you were grunt workers we had competent managers.

Do your job!

We at the Y have a very simple rule: Swim Lessons start at 5:00 in the Therapy Pool every single weekday. Because of this, if you are guarding the Therapy Pool in the 4:40-5:00 shift, or the 4:45-5:00 shift, depending on how many guards we have on duty at the time, at 4:55 you are expected to kick everyone out of the pool so the instructors can set up and invite the kids in. You would think you would look forward to this part of your job because it gives you an extra five minutes break before the kids get in the pool, by which time it's the next guard's job, anyway. Instead, you decided to talk to our supervisor, who should have known to do this, too, like a couple of frat boys, leaving me, the 5:00-5:15 Therapy Pool guard, to kick everyone out, and then explain to the parents why lessons were starting late.

Do your job! Part two

About thirty seconds after I cleared the pool out, the Swim Instructor present informed me that there was supposed to be a second instructor there, as there were two classes for that time slot. So, like the good guard I am, I went out, asked the parents if they knew the name of the instructor who was supposed to be there. They did not. I then asked the guard in the break room to check the schedule, and call whoever was supposed to be there and tell them to get their arses into their lesson ASAP. I then talked to the parents, apologizing for the delay and telling them we were doing everything we could to speed up the process. The instructor then walked out of the bathroom, where he had been for the last 10 minutes, just in time to start his lesson 7 minutes late, and force me to apologize to the parents, again.

Swim Team.

Our swim team was in last night, as it always is, and the kids were being more annoying and disruptive than usual. I just thought I'd mention it, despite me being used to it.

Why? God WHY?

It is currently 9:50 PM. The pool closes in 10 minutes. In five minutes, if nobody is here, we are allowed to close early and go home. I have just stepped down from the stand to go on break because the last person in the pool just walked out the doors. And then you come in. I had hoped you wouldn't be here tonight. I know how much you enjoy forcing us guards to stay till the bitter end and I've seen that perverted grin that crosses your face when we tell you "the pool closes in five minutes, just to let you know", as if you aren't aware that's our way of hinting that you should GTFO. I understand you like to hassle us every night of the week, I really do, but you're usually here a good 10 minutes before now, swimming along in the hopes of breaking our 8.50/hour spirits through your war of attrition. However, despite your waving hope that you wouldn't show up in front of my eyes, much like the carrot you undoubtedly use to urge your donkey onward in the hopes of inconveniencing commuters with the sense to purchase automobiles, your showing up only fills me with the typical -2 penalty which comes with every time your presence enacts a 'crushing despair' spell on us workers, and you did not, in fact, manage to attain a higher level through your taunt.

You shall not break our spirit, woman! We will not go quietly into the night!

And, that was last night. Now I get to go take a midterm, then go immediately back into that hell. At least tonight I can pick up my paycheck for the last month's worth of work.
    "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Sounds like my summer job. Minus the lessons. I sorry.

*hands cookie*
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

What good is a five or ten minute swim anyway? I mean, I know SCs don't use logic, but shouldn't they at least believe they're getting something tangible?
      The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Yeah, it takes longer than that to get into your swimsuit.

Comment

Quoth Stormraven View Post
          What good is a five or ten minute swim anyway? I mean, I know SCs don't use logic, but shouldn't they at least believe they're getting something tangible?
          It's been my experience as a security guard that some people have some kind of issue with authority figures that if they get told to do something, or told a rule, or whatever, regardless of what it IS, they will go out of their way to violate it, or push it, or whatever to prove that the rule and the authority person enforcing it are invalid.
          Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Quoth Stormraven View Post
            Flashback -

This was over 18+ years ago. I was working the equipment cage at my college job in their recreational facility. Now, the rule was 15 minutes to close = no equipment / towels checked out.

So, a black couple (race is important) comes up with 10 minutes to close, wanting a basketball. I say that I can't check out equipment because we are closing, couple charge I'm being racist (in a very impolite form then that I'm presenting ), I tell them about closing again, they leave...

and return with a supervisor, who says it's OK, just check out the ball. So I did.

Of course, 5 minutes after close (exactly what the rule was meant to prevent), they return the ball...I mean, I get thrown the ball at my head. Full chest pass. Too bad I caught it. Not like I didn't play ball on my time off and between classes, or anything...

And the supervisor that told me to give them the ball? Gone. So glad you got to leave on time, not like I'm now late for the Maintenance part of my job or anything. (I worked multiple jobs in that building, except supervisor and lifeguard).

Still makes my blood boil.

Comment

Working...
            X