This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrghh...Cant get away from the SC's

I work in an operating room as a surgical assistant and our cases on the weekends are supposed to be emergency/urgent cases only. Surgeons call, book their cases and we do them on a 1st scheduled, 1st done basis. You CAN NOT bump another case unless a life depends on it OR the asking surgeon asks the scheduled surgeon to give up their spot. Also, earliest time we can start is 0730 am, unless ur dying, then we take u right away. lol. Make sense? /backgroud.

So, sundays we run with a skeleton crew, 2 operating rooms open at max unless an emergency comes and we call the call team in.

Im looking over the schedule and we have 7 cases scheduled (which is BULLSHIT, thats not the way sundays are supposed to be) and I recieve this phone call:

Me: Operating room, this is *Amina* how can I help you.
    Dumbass: Hi, this is Dr. A. What time is my case scheduled for?
    Me: Right now it looks like 9am.
    DA: Oh, well yesterday I was told i was 7:30 AM starttime. *Hes LYING as he is the 3rd on the list which make it impossible to be first! duh*
    Me: Oh, ok. Who did you talk to?
    DA: *silence*
    Me: Ok, well its 9:00am unless you hear otherwise!
    DA: Well..Well, what about opening a second room?
    Me: Already spoken for. See you at 0900! kthxbai! *click*

I refuse to talk to him when he starts to lie which he does every weekend trying to get our earliest start time of 0730. and you know what time he started due to unforseen emergencies? 11 am!! MUAHHAHAHAHA

Part 2:

So he walks into the room at 11 am and is just in a wretched mood (for the record, these are loupes used for micro sugery and etc.)

DrA: Where are my loupes? *as snotty as ever!*
    CW: I dont know, where did YOU put them?
    DrA: YOU had 2 extra hours to find my loupes and have them ready for me, since YOU delayed me and you dont have them?!?!*seriously we were busy ALL morning, she did not personally delay him*
    CW: Im sorry sir, I was under the impression that YOU are the one that wears them so no, I do not keep tabs on where YOU put your personal items. But id be happy to HELP YOU look for them. *holds the door open for Dr. A to exit first*

He actually walked out and looked for his own...since she practically kicked him out of the room and told him to look himself...LMAO..I couldve kissed that CW.

I get tired of the whiny, vindictive, passive agressiveness that we have to put up with. Since Surgeons are free to operate anywhere they want, they are our customers as they bring the hospitals money.

Another:

Me: O.R., this is *Amina*
    DB: Hi, this is Dr. B, I have a case that I want to put on for today.
    Me: Ok, can I have the info please?
    DB: *gives me completely unemergent case info*
    Me: Okay, hold on one second. *puts on hold and relays the surgeons request for completely assinine case*

After this I got off the phone as the charge nurse picks up and speaks to him. She tells him that thats an nonemergent case and that he does not have clearance to go ahead. He whines, he crys, threatens to take his business elsewhere *PLEASE do us a favor!!* and hangs up on her. He proceeds to call the assistant vice president of the hospital, who calls the nurse manager who in turn calls the charge nurse and tells her that she was out of line to deny Dr.B's request when our OR bylaws completely say the opposite. Yes hospitals managers are also spineless!! So, we start setting up the case and guess what? TRAUMA CALL!! HAHA..Dr. B is now on hold, indefintely.

Love that Karma.

ETA: I didnt realize that pic would be soooo big!!!
    Last edited by Amina516; 10-06-2008, 02:02 PM.

Wow. I'm so glad I don't work in a hospital. That's actually at the top of my least favorite places to work list.

Where's Doctor Cox when you need him?

Comment

At one time I was considering working in a hospital in some capacity (IT-esque), but my low tolerance for attempted power plays squashed that idea fairly quickly. I could probably work for House though...
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Yeah, I once considered going to school to be a nurse then possibly become a certified nurse midwife. MWHA All I had to do was read some horror stories from nurses at allnurses.com---them saying they are regular occurrences, and me saying they are horror stories. I'm too indignant to take the crap doctors feel they are entitled to spew and CNMs are treated even worse than regular nurses. Blah blah. I wouldn't touch a hospital with a 50 foot pole.

Comment

Dr. Cox or House would be a HUGE help if only they were real...I dream of doctors with common sense....

Heatherina~

I also read Allnurses.com..you'd think Id know by now..lol

Comment

Quoth Heatherina View Post
            Yeah, I once considered going to school to be a nurse then possibly become a certified nurse midwife.
            I only need to talk to my mother. After almost six years as a certified nurse she says she wishes she had become an autobody mechanic instead.

Comment

Working...
            X